• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jepsen traded to TB for Matt Joyce

nate

Upon further thought, I like this move.

If he's our primary DH, it's a clear upgrade over Cron this season.

And if we had to move a piece from somewhere, our BP was the place to do it. And if any one player could go, might as well have been Jepsen.

Good job JeDi

Cron and Joyce will platoon at DH.

this is a pretty darn good trade for the angels. i think it's clear this is their primary move to replace howie's lost offense. joyce has been a much better hitter than he gets credit for. he hasn't had an ops+ less than 108 in like 5 years. if you get that or more from your DH, then you're ahead of the game. i see him getting most of his at bats in the 5-6 spots, and some in the 2 spot in an attempt to see how the lineup plays with him there. 

he's a pretty darn good bat for jepsen, and i'd think he'd be pretty easy to extend. his name doesn't carry very much cache.

I like it.  Jepsen wasn't as bad as many Angels fans seem to think he was before 2014, and there's a good chance he won't be as good in 2015. Relievers are volatile anyway. You have depth... at some point, you may even have so much that you risk losing someone for nothing or next to nothing.  Joyce is decent against RHP and won't play the outfield much. The offense was already weakened when they traded Kendrick.  This should help make sure there's not a big decline. 

Really like this move. Joyce crushes righties, plays decent defense and is only projected to make about 5 mil next season(FA after the year). Dipoto has also said that Joyce will be the primary DH.

Jepsen was great last year but the Angels have plenty of bullpen depth and still have enough money to sign another reliever if they so desire.

Joyce creates a ton of flexibility for the team. Big fan of the trade. 

A lot to like about this trade.  Good production for the price considering the market and a good platoon partner for Cron at DH.  I think the talk of being the "primary" DH is probably just semantics--he'll platoon with Cron but since we will likely face more RHP then LHP, he'll play more.  I don't see this as taking Cron out of future plans, but I do wonder what it means for Efren.  

Another fun fact, Alex Rios had a .710 OPS in TEXAS and got a 1 yr 11 mil contract.  Joyce hit .732 OPS and will be paid about 5.5 mil in arbitration.  Who would you rather have?

true, but rios's upside is way higher than joyce's. rios has had some incredibly good seasons.

Calhoun is a cheap very productive player. With 5 players making over $100 million in Salaries (Hamilton, Pujols, Trout, Weaver, Wilson), they need this type of asset to fill out the roster.

They will not trade him. 

Joyce is a nice add to balance the lineup out. He's a productive lefty, former All-Star, and a solid DH/Backup OF candidate. He is the starting DH in my opinion. Cron had a bad year last year in regards to OBP, Joyce solves that. Cron can play at AAA, and Cowgill can DH or play the OF when they face a lefty. Joyce is the replacement for what Ibanez was supposed to be. 

Krauss hit .200 in the majors, he's not a huge add. Brennan Bosch replacement. 

In my opinion, the lineup against righties now looks like

Calhoun

Joyce

Trout

Pujols

Hamilton

Freese

Iannetta

Rutledge/Green

Aybar

And against lefties

Calhoun

Cowgill

Trout

Pujols

Freese

Iannetta

Rutledge/Green

Aybar

Definitely seems like a "we don't trust Cron" insurance move. But now the Angels have good, if uninspiring, outfield/dh depth. Joyce is ok and can adequately fill in for anyone other than Trout.

I'd love to see Cron produce platoon-inflated numbers and then Dipoto do another sell high trade with him like he did with Trumbo.

A lot to like about this trade.  Good production for the price considering the market and a good platoon partner for Cron at DH.  I think the talk of being the "primary" DH is probably just semantics--he'll platoon with Cron but since we will likely face more RHP then LHP, he'll play more.  I don't see this as taking Cron out of future plans, but I do wonder what it means for Efren.  

I guess Navarro is the odd man out