• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Trade Frieri for Grilli

Richard

So, has anyone in the FO actually thought about it and said to themselves maybe it's our pitching coach? I don't mean to continue to beat the same drum. But, seriously. I'm concerned that we once again we have a pitcher that was doing pretty well and he just went to pot over a season.

This isn't the 1st time it has happened. And I'm also not going to trot out the list of pitchers either....I'll leave that for AO~

Why is it that the pitchers keep getting thrown under the bus? And when is it a Coaching issue?

So if Butcher gets the blame for Frieri then dies he also get the praise for Richards and Shoemaker?

i expect him to be the closer, and i guess i am ok with that. grilli doesn't suck, he's pretty good, but he's having a bad year. IF he can turn it around here, it'll be a major step in the right direction. i'm positive about this trade, hopefully he can live up to my expectations.

i'd also like to point this out, razzing jeff fletcher a bit. after all his posts suggesting we were freaking out about frieri and that he was a much better closer than we were giving him credit for.

here's a convenient graph representing opinions on ernesto frieri:             AW.........jerry dipoto..............................................................................jeff fletcher.

meh, hard for me to get excited about this one way or the other. crap for crap.  both sides are hoping against hope that a "change of scenery" does wonders.

I have to assume the Angels' brain trust thought there was very little chance of Frieri righting the ship, so they figured they might as well get something for him.  Fair enough.  

I don't want Frieri pitching at all, in any situation. I also don't think the Angels have Grilli in their plans past this season. 

I agree that Frieri is not very trustworthy at this point, but he is nine years younger than Grilli and he has had some recent success. I'm guessing that his problems are mainly psychological, and the right organization can possibly fix this. If Grilli is not in our plans for the future, and I suspect that you are right about that, we have given away Frieri for half a season of a 37-year-old former closer who was good two years ago.

Would have been better off sending Frieri to AAA and letting him work out whatever is wrong, IMO.

it's pretty hard to argue against either viewpoint on this trade, both opinions have several valid points on their side. the truth is both guys have struggled this year and both have a history of being really good. hopefully, our new guy regroups and becomes that sneaky good deadline trade that puts us over the hump.

it's pretty hard to argue against either viewpoint on this trade, both opinions have several valid points on their side. the truth is both guys have struggled this year and both have a history of being really good. hopefully, our new guy regroups and becomes that sneaky good deadline trade that puts us over the hump.

In Deeep-O we Trust-O

not  a bad deal -- if Grilli can give the Halos some decent starts the rest of the way --if not, he fills the long relief role in the pen.

meanwhile, Frieri back in the NL -- Frieri was a steal for us -- when we got him from San Diego he had just gotten lit up big time in his last several outings for the Padres and then moved over to the Halos where he pitched well in the pen -- came from almost nowhere to become the closer, had a good run, was an All-Star and the glass slippers stayed on for far longer than anyone expected.

then the clock struck midnight in 2014 -- and so he's off to Pittsburgh -- hopefully he can have a resurgence there like he did when he first joined the Halos.

meanwhile, we're not out anything and have a rental type fifth starter for the remainder of 2014.

How many RP's really face pitchers batting? The pitch hitters may well be same as DH.

DFA him wouldn't make sense because even with how he's pitched he has value. The K's are there and he's still young and under club control + has "closer experience"

I'd have rather they just stuck with him but in a lesser role and hope he turns it around(but never made him closer again)

I think Grilli's done. His numbers have nosedived in everything this year and he's 37 yrs old with serious arm injuries under his belt. Now he's shifting to the tougher league with the DH after putting up a 1.60+ WHIP in the NL

I don't think this bullpen got any better in all honesty. Hoping for 2 other moves where they acquire a reliable lefty and an actual closer who is doing well.

well, true -- (post above) but the time is now -- Sosh had lost confidence in Frieri and he wasn't going to do much for the Halos -- Frieri has a better chance of turning things around than Grilli but we could use some rotation help now and Grilli provides some, but not much, help in the area.