• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Trade Frieri for Grilli

Richard

Don't be surprised that Friei bounces back and becomes a very good relief pitcher for the pirates. It was all confidence or lack there of. THEORY XanGo Of Scenery Will do him good.

Good trade. Change of scenery may help both teams. Frieri gave us a good run but it was definitely time for a change.

I didn't figure they would be. Wonder if anything else is close

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we are working on bringing in another arm, and my guess is it will come from either the Padres or the D-Backs. I hope it will be guys like Borenstein and Navarro going the other way instead of Cron or Bedrosian.

Just because the results suck doesn't mean the stuff sucks, relief pitchers are very up and down.

Yeah, his stuff is fine, the issue is he's walking way too many batters so far this year. Of course, that's why I'm not really excited over this deal, because this pen is filled with arms who can't throw strikes already

I just don't want Grilli being inserted into the closer's role and sadly that is what I think happens. The guy has been really struggling, and is now switching leagues again. I'd rather they have him pitch the 7th or whatever to see how he does first.

Here's why the trade is beneficial, for both sides...

For the Angels, they get a veteran pitcher who has closed for a playoff team and only on the payroll this season.  If he doesn't bounce back, then he's off the books next season and the Angels have an extra $4.25 mil.  If he does, maybe you bring him back for another season.  They lose a "cost controlled" guy, but are they gonna spend $4.5mil (or more depending on arbitration raise) on a guy they can't trust to hold a lead?  The cost control doesn't matter at this point if you option him or cut him loose.

For the Pirates and Frieri, he goes back to the NL in a division that's easier to play in and has a fresh start.  Frieri seems like a good guy and I wish him the best.  It was clear in his body language and results that this wasn't a blip in the radar this year for him and the Angels. 

I don't see what they lose. If Grilli sucks, they let him walk next year and save some money over what they would have had to pay Frieri. And I think Grilli has a better chance of contributing positively this season then Frieri would have had.

Well if either of them sucked they would be off the book after this year.

Of course on the flip side of that:

If Grilli bounces back, he's still gone in a few months.

If Frieri bounces back, there's still team control left.

Yeah, his stuff is fine, the issue is he's walking way too many batters so far this year. Of course, that's why I'm not really excited over this deal, because this pen is filled with arms who can't throw strikes already

I just don't want Grilli being inserted into the closer's role and sadly that is what I think happens. The guy has been really struggling, and is now switching leagues again. I'd rather they have him pitch the 7th or whatever to see how he does first.

I agree and I bet he doesn't close a game until he shows he has the stuff. Smith will remain the closer at this time.