• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The exercise/weight loss thread

As with anything, it's buyer beware.  I can only speak from my experience which has been good.  If you do go to a physical therapist, make sure you like them and what they are saying makes sense.  If not, then bail and find another.  It's southern California so there's more than a couple out there. 

Ultimately, it's up to you, but word of mouth will also help narrow any search.  My PT was recommended to me by my doctor who actually wrote me a prescription for the PT, pointing out where my problem areas were/are.

Very interesting. 

A lot of what you describe resembles what is available from a chiropractor.  I know they are different professions, but the question I need to ask is this:  Does quackery run rampant among physical therapists like it does with chiropractors? 

I have a very dim view of chiropractors, thanks in part to an uncle and cousin being chiropractors.  Their stories have left me completely disillusioned over the years.  My cousin strings patients along to finance the luxury cars, clothing, houses, and vacations.  The breaking point for me was hearing him say he "treats" asthma, ADHD, and skin problems by seeing patients on a regular basis.  Uh huh.

I doubt PT makes such outlandish promises, but how would I identify quack suggestions from a PT so I don't waste my time and money?  

As with anything, it's buyer beware.  I can only speak from my experience which has been good.  If you do go to a physical therapist, make sure you like them and what they are saying makes sense.  If not, then bail and find another.  It's southern California so there's more than a couple out there. 

Ultimately, it's up to you, but word of mouth will also help narrow any search.  My PT was recommended to me by my doctor who actually wrote me a prescription for the PT, pointing out where my problem areas were/are.

Thanks.  I guess what I'm asking is how to go about evaluating PT's.  I've learned to spot the games physicians (and chiropractors) play, but this is totally foreign to me. 

For example, when do you say no when they peddle extra services and products, or insist you keep coming back for regular appointments?  I don't want to spend thousands out of pocket on unnecessary stuff to learn the joke's on me. 

I don't have an exact answer for you, regrettably.  I hate that whole up-sell game too, and I thought my current PT was trying to do that right after I started with him.  He was tryingto sell me some basic re-hab equipment (stretch band, noodle) and I was immediately thinking about taking my biz somewhere else.  I def. needed the equipment, so that wasn't the issue.  I just thought it was a shifty side business, at first.

I shopped around for the goods, thinking I'd save myself some money.  But the rehab place's prices were alot cheaper (even less than online pricing), and the PT wasn't pushy about it.  So that was a good sign. 

As for regular appointments, now that I have some improvement, my appointments have been spaced out further.  My next one isn't for five weeks.  Whereas, I was going every week or two when I first started.  My last appt., my PT even said, "you're good.  Call me when you want to make an appt."  I was a little surprised and he said, "Well, let's make it five weeks, or sooner if you have discomfort." 

I suppose, for what you're going for, you should tell whomever (if you go the PT route) that you feel no discomfort at this time but want to make sure you're lifting correctly.  It's not a chronic problem.  You just need one or two sessions and you'll call to schedule an appointment as necessary.  If a PT balks at that, then that's not the place for you. 

Or, play the game, make a follow up appointment, then cancel it via phone. 

I highly doubt you'd be the first patient/client with such a proactive situation. 

Thanks.  I guess what I'm asking is how to go about evaluating PT's.  I've learned to spot the games physicians (and chiropractors) play, but this is totally foreign to me. 

For example, when do you say no when they peddle extra services and products, or insist you keep coming back for regular appointments?  I don't want to spend thousands out of pocket on unnecessary stuff to learn the joke's on me. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Been doing the 5/3/1 jim wendler program for little over 6 weeks now. Seeing great increases in my deadlift, squat, and OHP. Bench press is slacking though.

Overall I'm loving the program so far.

Cardio has gone down the shitter. Amazing how fast my cardio endurance goes away after not doing anything for a couple months.

Smoking probably doesn't help either.

Also thinking about buying a weight belt for chinups and pullups. Seems like the best way to actually increase the amount you can do is by adding weight to your reps.

Edited by Poozy

Cardio has gone down the shitter. Amazing how fast my cardio endurance goes away after not doing anything for a couple months.

Smoking probably doesn't help either.

I have one of those fancy Garmin heart rate monitors with the chest strap.  Supposedly pretty accurate. 

For me, if I do cardio regularly and then quit for a couple weeks, my heart rate efficiency drops (HR increases) by 10-15%. 

I have one of those fancy Garmin heart rate monitors with the chest strap.  Supposedly pretty accurate. 

For me, if I do cardio regularly and then quit for a couple weeks, my heart rate efficiency drops (HR increases) by 10-15%. 

Yea seems about accurate. You can spend 3+ months building up your cardio and then lose it all in a matter of weeks..

Edited by Poozy

I'm guessing from running too much too quickly.  I had been running maybe 5 miles a week from september until a couple weeks ago, but since I've been on winter break (about 10 days), I've been running about 7-8 miles daily.  It hurts more when I'm not running

I'm guessing from running too much too quickly.  I had been running maybe 5 miles a week from september until a couple weeks ago, but since I've been on winter break (about 10 days), I've been running about 7-8 miles daily.  It hurts more when I'm not running

A few things:

1.  They seem more common in cold weather when your legs haven't had a chance to warm up.

2.  Some people suggest stretching exercises 10-30 mins before running.  This works but causes other aches and pains during or after your run.

3.  More recent research says stretching before running isn't necessary and hurts your performance.  They recommend walking longer in the beginning to warm your legs up.  I was skeptical but pleasantly surprised when it worked for me.  Works better than stretching.

4.  All bets are off if your shoes suck. 

Ive been staying in some little island off brazil for a month now and its interesting how its hard to not lose weight, where back home its hard to not gain weight

if someone PMs me the GC password Ill post a healthy amount of ass pics "scenery" - I take when doing beach walks

the amount of ass here is unfair

Edited by notherhalo

• 3 months later...

I have been working out and doing cardio for about four years now.  I started when I turned 39.  I was active as a young fellah, playing soccer and some baseball.  Had a child, got a job, then another child and was stagnant for about 17 years. 

I recently moved to a new city and have had trouble adjusting to a new gym and have had a very hard time getting my workouts done.  I have lost mass and strength.  I'm pretty bummed about this. The main issue is that the LA Fitness in my new city opens later than the other and it screws up my morning schedule which now includes a commute. 

I'm considering trying to go in the afternoons, but I really don't like that.  I have found that I make up way too many excuses to avoid the gym or cardio in the afternoon. 

What's really interesting to me is that I can actually feel the difference in how I am able to move, my energy level, my attittude and my alertness from now to when I was working out regularly. 

I'm considering getting weights for one of my empty rooms so I can get my workouts done on my schedule. 

Good post. Ironically, I have been an LA Fitness lifer that is going to switch to UFC Gym in the next day or so. LA Fitness seems dated and I don't like the updates and remodel they have done to their older gyms.

I make the excuses too. But now my better half signed up for the local gym and diet (which affects groceries) so I'm being dragged back in....someone needs to show her what to do in there.

Looking at playing football (soccer) again on Sundays as well. Gotta get the cardio back up doing Spartacus again.

I eventually realized that my "routine" or habit was what was really getting me to the gym and once that habit was interrupted by my move, I had nothing to get me there.  Now that I've lost the mass, I realize I miss it.  I'm trying to establish a new habit, but it's pretty difficult. 

I was going to the LA Fitness on Ontario in Corona and they open at 4:30 am.  The one in my town doesn't open til 5:00.  That's tough.  It's good that you're girl is going to the gym.  It sems like it's easier to get there when someone is depending on you to be there.  Also, it's a nice way to spend time with her. 

I wish I could play footie again.  My back is all effed up and it's painful to run now.  I'm relegated to elliptical and bike at the gym, walking at home. 

Getting into a routine is the hardest part of working out for me.  Once I manage to get into a routine, I'm good at setting goals and working toward them.  It's hard for me with lifting, especially after an injury like my shoulder.  I also atrophied badly because the only thing I could work was bis/tris for the past year, bascially.  Sucks.  But we have to plug away.  Getting old sucks.  

Yep. I've had injuries to both shoulders and it can be debilitating in the gym.  Really limits what you can do with weights.  YOu're absolutely correct.  Getting old does in fact suck!