• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The exercise/weight loss thread

good to work the triceps - lots of people wonder how to get big arms then they only work the biceps.

try supersets (perform heavier weight/ less reps of one exercise, then immediately switch to next w/out rest with more reps and lighter weight). 

this is an example:

A.

tricep pressdown:  somewhat heavy weight, 10 reps

- superset'd with -

cable overhead tricep: somewhat lighter weight, 15 reps

B.

lying tricep extension (skull crushers): somewhat lighter weight, 15 reps

- superset'd with -

close-grip  bench: somewhat heavy weight, 10 reps

after the pair, you rest.

do 4 sets of A and B twice a week.

next week do 8 reps of heavier weight and 20 w/ lighter weight, twice a week.

next week do 6 reps of heavier 25 of lighter, twice a week.

last week do 4 reps of heavier and 30 of lighter, twice a week.

so weight goes up, reps go down. weight goes down, reps go up.

good to work the triceps - lots of people wonder how to get big arms then they only work the biceps.

try supersets (perform heavier weight/ less reps of one exercise, then immediately switch to next w/out rest with more reps and lighter weight).

Super sets, dips and close grips FTW.

For biceps, wide grip pull ups are the best. Even better than preacher curls.

this is an example:

A.

tricep pressdown: somewhat heavy weight, 10 reps

- superset'd with -

B.

- superset'd with -

close-grip bench: somewhat heavy weight, 10 reps

this is an example:

A.

tricep pressdown: somewhat heavy weight, 10 reps

- superset'd with -

B.

- superset'd with -

close-grip bench: somewhat heavy weight, 10 reps

A trip to the cages is a solid workout.

The only batting cages in my area are only open on weekday afternoons/evenings (when I'm at work) and weekends (when I'm usually too busy with other crap to hit them).  I may have to take a sick day or come in late one of these days.  

What up, AW peeps?

First post since the changeover. I haven't been on the site much but always liked this thread. I'm currently training for the OC Marathon as well and am having a tough go with it. Here's a little background.

Running a marathon is something I've always wanted to do and is one of the things on my 'bucket list'. I used to run Mile Square park in Fountain Valley all the time but never really ran more than 4 miles. I've always wanted to do the LA Marathon but have been afraid to do it because it has rained every time for the last four years on the day of the run. Go figure, this year, no rain.

Anyways, yesterday I ran 8.25 miles but I am having issues with my ankle and swelling. I went to A Snail's Pace a couple of weeks ago to see if they might have a brace I could buy or to possibly look into compression socks as a cure. After telling them of my issues, they thought I just needed new shoes as the shoes I was running in were about 2 years old.

After buying the shoes and running in them about 3-4 times, I am still having some pain above my talus/anklebone. The pain lasts for a couple of days after my runs so I am not able to run more than about once a week, which is also affecting my training and not allowing me to run more often.

Fast forward to yesterday where I decided to give road runner sports a try. I looked into orthotics and bought some custom fit insoles yesterday at 79.99. After getting the insoles, I was able to run the 8.25 miles while I had to stop and walk after mile 3, 4, 5 etc. I just walk for about a minute or two to let the pain dissipate, then run when the foot seems to feel a little better.

I'm seriously thinking about changing my payment for the full marathon to just the half marathon so I don't get in over my head. I doubt I would train again for a full marathon though if I shorten it up so I'm trying to wait until the last minute to make the change. The custom insoles did allow me to run a little longer and the pain is a little more bearable. I want to see if the orthotics make the ankle feel a little better on the next run as well so that I can make a better decision.

Any runners on the boards have any advice? Should I give the compression socks a go?

Last year I was on a mission to get back into my Highschool physique. Dropped 40 lbs and celebrated with an all out opening day splurge. 2 cheeseburgers, nachos, a hotdog and 4 bombers of Budweiser. Followed that up by a whole pizza at BJ's and super nachos at Molca Salsa. Literally gained 5 lbs that day.

What up, AW peeps?

First post since the changeover. I haven't been on the site much but always liked this thread. I'm currently training for the OC Marathon as well and am having a tough go with it. Here's a little background.

Running a marathon is something I've always wanted to do and is one of the things on my 'bucket list'. I used to run Mile Square park in Fountain Valley all the time but never really ran more than 4 miles. I've always wanted to do the LA Marathon but have been afraid to do it because it has rained every time for the last four years on the day of the run. Go figure, this year, no rain.

Anyways, yesterday I ran 8.25 miles but I am having issues with my ankle and swelling. I went to A Snail's Pace a couple of weeks ago to see if they might have a brace I could buy or to possibly look into compression socks as a cure. After telling them of my issues, they thought I just needed new shoes as the shoes I was running in were about 2 years old.

After buying the shoes and running in them about 3-4 times, I am still having some pain above my talus/anklebone. The pain lasts for a couple of days after my runs so I am not able to run more than about once a week, which is also affecting my training and not allowing me to run more often.

Fast forward to yesterday where I decided to give road runner sports a try. I looked into orthotics and bought some custom fit insoles yesterday at 79.99. After getting the insoles, I was able to run the 8.25 miles while I had to stop and walk after mile 3, 4, 5 etc. I just walk for about a minute or two to let the pain dissipate, then run when the foot seems to feel a little better.

I'm seriously thinking about changing my payment for the full marathon to just the half marathon so I don't get in over my head. I doubt I would train again for a full marathon though if I shorten it up so I'm trying to wait until the last minute to make the change. The custom insoles did allow me to run a little longer and the pain is a little more bearable. I want to see if the orthotics make the ankle feel a little better on the next run as well so that I can make a better decision.

Any runners on the boards have any advice? Should I give the compression socks a go?

Roadrunner sports is usually solid, they keep me in good shoes.  I don't really have any advice beyond that.  Maybe check with a doctor or something. 

I was thinking about running a marathon, and then when I started to train for it I realized my limit is about six miles for running.  I don't have the desire to run more than that.  Maybe that will change as I get in better shape. 

Disclaimer - I'm far from a running pro.  I'm doing the half at the OC and if you haven't hit long runs of 16 miles by now and 20 miles before the marathon you're in way over your head for the full considering it's less than 4 weeks away.  Everyone's different but in my experience training for and doing the runs for a half marathon vs. a full are night and day and those long runs you need to do kick your ass but prepare you for the full 26.2.  I've got co-workers who run marathons often and for most everyone it seems there's that wall you hit around mile 22 or 23 and training for it is the only way to prepare you from a physical and mental standpont.

I signed up for a marathon a few years ago and had ankle problems that had me missing out on some of the longer runs during training.  I had to take time off training after talking to some friends who are serious runners and after describing what I had one of them told me he dealt with a similar issue and time off was the only thing that worked for him.  He was right and it worked for me but the runs I missed during training resulted in me getting 20 miles in and having to call it quits.  Obviously your best bet is to see a doctor if you think there's anything seriously wrong or if what seems like a small problem doesn't go away but that's why I'd recommend taking time off running first.  Running through the pain sure didn't work for me.    

• 3 weeks later...

Time to bump this baby.  I got a Ninja blender because I'm too cheap to invest in a Vitamix, and I love it so far.  Made a drink this morning that should have been horrible - mixing leftover ingredients at random - but to me it's good: 

1/2 banana, frozen

handful of blueberries

four strawberries

lots of kale

lime juice (I was out of apple juice)

half scoop of vanilla whey 

four ice cubes

It's an interesting medley that for some reason works for me.

Time to bump this baby.  I got a Ninja blender because I'm too cheap to invest in a Vitamix, and I love it so far.  Made a drink this morning that should have been horrible - mixing leftover ingredients at random - but to me it's good: 

1/2 banana, frozen

handful of blueberries

four strawberries

lots of kale

lime juice (I was out of apple juice)

half scoop of vanilla whey 

four ice cubes

It's an interesting medley that for some reason works for me.

That looks good.

I was making green smoothies for a while but found you could just throw whatever in the blender and it works. One I was doing frequently:

2 frozen bananas

1 apple (I prefered green or granny)

A handful or two of frozen pineapple chunks

A bunch of kale or baby spinach

My gf uses apple juice as a base, I prefer water. Apple juice makes it too apple-y. She also puts in a little ginger.

• 2 weeks later...

Is Roadrunner sports pretty much all running stuff? Do they sell weights or other sporting goods?

Mostly running stuff, yeah.  Mainly a shoe store but also overpriced running clothes you don't really need and crap like that. 

That looks good.

I was making green smoothies for a while but found you could just throw whatever in the blender and it works. One I was doing frequently:

2 frozen bananas

1 apple (I prefered green or granny)

A handful or two of frozen pineapple chunks

A bunch of kale or baby spinach

My gf uses apple juice as a base, I prefer water. Apple juice makes it too apple-y. She also puts in a little ginger.

You bring up a good point - doesn't matter too much what you throw in there, as long as you get the portions right.  I've found you can use a good amount of kale because the other ingredients overpower it.

Going to do Spartacus today and thought I would recommend it again like earlier in the thread.

There are many, many apps both free and paid to get going.

This link is just one variation but a good overview:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/spartacus-workout-the-triple-set-scorcher.html

When I was at my worst (higher bodyfat, harder the body works, more calories burned) I was hitting 900-1100 calories a session. My buddy who is in amazing shape was hitting an average of 800-850. And this was only 30 minutes.

Going to do Spartacus today and thought I would recommend it again like earlier in the thread.

There are many, many apps both free and paid to get going.

This link is just one variation but a good overview:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/spartacus-workout-the-triple-set-scorcher.html

When I was at my worst (higher bodyfat, harder the body works, more calories burned) I was hitting 900-1100 calories a session. My buddy who is in amazing shape was hitting an average of 800-850. And this was only 30 minutes.

I do most of my workouts from home since the baby was born. Going back to gym workouts at the end of summer. This spartacus workout looks pretty chill. I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thanks dude

You bring up a good point - doesn't matter too much what you throw in there, as long as you get the portions right.  I've found you can use a good amount of kale because the other ingredients overpower it.

Yeah, pineapple masks a lot of shit. I am pretty liberal with the kale or spinach because I don't consume enough and it still will get the grass taste/flavor. But it still comes out well.

I actually just went to the store and bought all the ingredients to give it another go. Ideally, I would like to start juicing and have this as a norm. People are turning out great results doing it.

I do most of my workouts from home since the baby was born. Going back to gym workouts at the end of summer. This spartacus workout looks pretty chill. I'll give it a shot this weekend. Thanks dude

You can actually do it at home dude. All you need are three dumbells....two the same and one a bit larger for the goblet squats, etc.

It's an ass kicker. I recommend using a heart rate monitor because it's easy to go overboard. I take a pre-workout mix so I am like a crackhead in the gym and I consistently go over as the heart rate watch beeps at me to stop or slow down.

But yeah, just app it and let it rip. It's like an Insanity workout with dumbells.

Let me know how it goes.

those are fun - the 300 workout is similar.

do it once a month and gauge your progress. and like B said dont kill yourself.

i took a break from working out so im getting back into my routine now.

need to break out my unitard and sign up for a step aerobics class.

I'd just like to throw out there, that racquetball is one helluva workout. And it's fun.

Racquetball is a funny sport.  The better you are at it, the less of a workout it is.  If you see a guy running all over the court, he isn't very good. 

I started doing some circuit training this week. It's been pretty tough, but a good tough. Yesterday's workout was legs and shoulders.

Squats 3 x 10

Calf Raises 3 x 20

Dead Lifts 3 x 10

(All on the Smith machine)

Dumbbell Shoulder Press 3 x 8

Dumbbell Upright Rows 3 x 8

Lateral Raises 3 x 10

Shrugs 3x 15