• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The exercise/weight loss thread

1 hour ago, cezero said:

there's actually a movement called pro-ana that advocates being anorexic.

those are sayings they go by. 

no joke. 

at my age i'd like to say there aren't too many things left that surprise me. this pro-ana movement is definitely one of them, however.

what kind of psychosis must a person have to think this way, that "starving yourself shows willpower?"

On 1/7/2017 at 11:18 PM, calscuf said:

I've made joking references to this before but honestly I ate a fairly strict vegan (plant based, limited processed foods) diet for about 10 weeks from the beginning of September to middle of November and I did not exercise at all and I dropped about 25 pounds (240 to 215, I'm 6'2).  I also cut out all craft beer and any snacking after dinner.  I still drank Miller Lite as I pleased.  I didn't count calories or limit portion size.

I felt great physically and my pooping was always a giant log at 8 am, once a day.

I've tried to drop pounds by exercising a ton but still eating my usual diet and not much happened.

Diet is the key.  And this Vegan diet was easy, but be prepared to lose any life satisfaction from food.  It was a bit depressing.

You can't out-train a poor diet.

Many people see positive results when first going vegan but after some time it catches up to you and it can wreck you in many ways because eating vegan requires you to be very purposeful in getting specific macros and micros that can difficult to come by.

However, many vegans are more educated about what the body needs with nutrition so they can be healthier than meat eaters who think berry jolly ranchers is a serving of fruit.

2 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

I've been having a rough two weeks with my squats; I've lost my form. Time to drop the weight and work on form. Chuck, do you squat? If so, this ever happen to you?

Deadlifts are coming along nicely, though. Got them up to 365 as a max right now. Want to get to 405 at least.

i hope your CERA hasn't suffered from your poor squatting work. Jeffy would be very upset to hear that.

54 minutes ago, Adam said:

I picked up some halo top ice cream (280 calories per pint) tonight. Good shit

been seeing that product a few times in one of my support groups as an acceptable dessert. what flavor did you have?

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone still dieting?

I am still busting my ass, but my weight loss has totally stagnated. I am down 0.2 over the last two weeks, which is pretty terrible considering how hard I have been working. And it isn't like I am 8 percent body fat - I still have plenty of body fat I should be able to shed.

I have seemed to notice a direct correlation between carb intake and short term weight loss or gain. When I have a few low carb days in a row, I am 3-4 pounds lighter than when I have a few normal days in a row.

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

Anyone still dieting?

I am still busting my ass, but my weight loss has totally stagnated. I am down 0.2 over the last two weeks, which is pretty terrible considering how hard I have been working. And it isn't like I am 8 percent body fat - I still have plenty of body fat I should be able to shed.

I have seemed to notice a direct correlation between carb intake and short term weight loss or gain. When I have a few low carb days in a row, I am 3-4 pounds lighter than when I have a few normal days in a row.

That's because carbs are like sponges and they retain a lot more water than fats or proteins, so basically you carry around more water weight. 

9 hours ago, wopphil said:

Anyone still dieting?

Diet is everything. Working out obviously can't hurt, but if you want to shred pounds try limiting yourself to 1,500 calories a day of nothing but healthy fats (i.e almonds), lean proteins (i.e. chicken), and vegetables. I dropped 50 in six months doing that and a roughly 15 minute daily body weight workout a few years back.

15 hours ago, wopphil said:

Anyone still dieting?

Yeah.  And I have experienced that lull too.  Had to increase my gym time and drop another beer out of the regular rotation.  Down 215 (35 pounds lighter-I am 6'1")

On 2/27/2017 at 6:53 AM, wopphil said:

Anyone still dieting?

Plateauing sucks. Sometimes you need to take a break from the gym for a few days. Mix up your calorie intake...add 25-50% more calories for a few days with no workouts. Then fold in a heavy workout since you're rested and fed. Now you can drop calories back down and get back on the workout regimen. Reset your fat burning mechanisms.

Carbs are the devil when you want to lean down.  When increasing calories, stay away from them.

On 2/27/2017 at 8:35 AM, Adam said:

That's because carbs are like sponges and they retain a lot more water than fats or proteins, so basically you carry around more water weight. 

Plus many carbs in the American diet spike insulin levels, making weight loss a fat chance. 

was stuck in a big plateau for about two months. finally broke out of it three weeks ago. weighed myself again this morning and lost another 3 lbs. last week, bringing my overall total to 143 lbs. 

feeling great and playing a little bit of hockey at lunch recess with the kids (mostly just passing a street hockey ball back and forth since we don't have a goal and most of the kids can hardly hold a stick properly). watching a couple of hockey goals on ebay and may pony up for one of them. will be picking up a pair of roller blades next week, and i can hardly wait to start skating again.

• 4 weeks later...