• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The exercise/weight loss thread

28 minutes ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

yeah, i don't worry too much about it since i eat almost no sugar, which is a much bigger problem with cholesterol/triglyceride balance than fat. since i started making most of my food, hdl is good and ldl is down. 

i actually use coconut oil every day to make sure i get saturated fat in my diet because literally everything else i eat only has unsaturated fat. 

Right on man!  I agree, sugar is basically the root cause of most of our modern health problems.  As long as you keep your sugar intake to a minimum (this includes fruit), you should be in pretty good shape.

14 hours ago, Warfarin said:

I agree with you, but believe me, when I say shot through the roof, I am underplaying just how high it went, lol.  I didn't want to be a study of n = 1.  I think anything below 300 is just fine, especially if the HDL level is quite high.

that's the thing, a lot of people don't understand hdl and ldl then lump cholesterol as a whole to be bad. I actually shoot for higher cholesterol because it means my diet is pretty on point.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Right on man!  I agree, sugar is basically the root cause of most of our modern health problems.  As long as you keep your sugar intake to a minimum (this includes fruit), you should be in pretty good shape.

i see people talking about diets a lot, and they're not sustainable. reduced sugar is only sustainable for me if i choose not to be completely strict with it. i eat a ton of fruit, and still have several drinks every week, which is pretty much just sugar.

i was still eating like a teenager until my mid 30s, and thought i was fine since i was a fitness nut. things change when you get old, lol. 

3 hours ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

i see people talking about diets a lot, and they're not sustainable. reduced sugar is only sustainable for me if i choose not to be completely strict with it. i eat a ton of fruit, and still have several drinks every week, which is pretty much just sugar.

i was still eating like a teenager until my mid 30s, and thought i was fine since i was a fitness nut. things change when you get old, lol. 

It just depends.  I work with a lot of diabetic patients and see the negative repercussions of people who eat a lot of sugars / carbs, so it's enough to motivate me to minimize my intake.

I do think, overall, it's more of a lifestyle change.  I'm not a fan of strict "diets," but I do think making gradual progress to an overall healthy lifestyle is key.

On 1/19/2018 at 9:42 AM, Chuckster70 said:

In the morning I make two hard boiled eggs, take out the yoke and fill it up with fresh guac that we have here at work. Sprinkle a little bacon salt on top and boom. 

Eat those yolks, Chuck - they're the best part. Watch this:

https://www.drberg.com/blog/do-not-eat-eggs-unless-you-watch-this

In fact, egg salad sounds perfect for lunch...

• 4 weeks later...

Lost 20 lbs since Jan 1st on a Keto diet, tons of cardio but still lifting heavy weights, though finishing with high reps on each set. 

Had some smoke coming off me yesterday after a kick ass workout. Though I'll be skipping leg day for a while though with my sprained MCL. 

IMG_20180214_150957_632.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey listen you fat fucks. If you want to drop some weight but struggle to get past a month or two, give yourself financial reasons to keep at it. I lost 50 pounds and made $800. @Glen is doing this now as well.

Use my link to sign up if you're interested. 

http://shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=737641&u=1643523&m=46155&urllink=&afftrack=

1 hour ago, HaloNArizona said:

The wife and I have been doing Weight Watchers...Since the first of January I am down 30+ pounds.  We have focused on low to no sugar foods, lean protein and lots of fruit and veggies.  Still looking at another 50 pounds.  

that's awesome! keep up the good work.

• 4 weeks later...

have any of you tried pizza made with a cauliflower crust? it's significantly lower in carbs, and that's a good thing. i've seen a ton of references to these on facebook and the wife and i tried a homemade one a few months ago. it was awful. maybe there's a better recipe for this than the one we tried but i'm not sure if we'll make it again.

so last night our school has a fundraiser at the local california pizza kitchen. looking through the menu they now offer a cauliflower crust for any pizza on their menu. we decided to spin the dice and try it out. ordered the tostada pizza and it was absolutely fantastic! in fact, we weren't sure it was actually the cauliflower crust so we had to check with our server just to make sure, and it was. CPK got it right with this one, and it's worth your attention if you're looking to cut down on carbs.

trader joes also sells a frozen cauliflower pizza crust that you can add your own toppings to, but we haven't tried it yet. anyone here give it a go?

6 hours ago, mrwicked said:

cauliflower rice is the sh*t. love that stuff.

never had it for faux pizza crust, but i bet it rocks. 

Love the rice! Great sub for real rice and you dont even notice any difference.

• 2 months later...

Last year, I dropped about 18 pounds from January to April. I have put it all back on and need to lose it again. I got myself a Renpho scale - weighed in at 212.0, at 25.2% bodyfat (I realize the body fat measurements might not be accurate). I am 6'1" and would like to get down to 192 pounds. 

Anyway, I started a low carb diet today. I have never done a low carb diet and expect it is going to be really, really tough. But I also expect I'll get quick results. I am going to try to limit my carb intake mostly to fruits and veggies/carrots. 

My goal is to drop 12 pounds over the next 33 days. I am then going on a family vacation and will take a 5-day break from the diet. I will then jump back in and go for the remaining 8 pounds (or however many I need to get down to 192).

I am a big believer that publicizing my weight loss efforts will keep me on track, so I am going to post updates on here.

Today, day 1, I ate the following: (1) breakfast: protein shake (170 cals); (2) lunch: chipotle bowl, chicken and beef, cheese, lettuce, salsa and peppers/onions (est. 500 cals); and (3) dinner: shrimp and steak salad (est 700 cal) with fruit (100 cal). I also had a little bit of half and half in my morning coffee (60 cal). And I did 40 minutes on the treadmill. Today really wasn't that tough, given that it was day 1 of the diet and I had no social obligations.

I am trying to replace one-third of my meals with protein shakes (no carbs). I am also trying to hit 300,000 steps over the next 33 days, with some weight lifting as well.

The hardest thing for me is going to be cutting out beer, as well as what to eat when I am traveling for work (which should only be a few days out of the next 30). I am going to let myself cheat occasionally, such as when I attend birthday parties for two of my friends.

14 hours ago, wopphil said:

Last year, I dropped about 18 pounds from January to April. I have put it all back on and need to lose it again. I got myself a Renpho scale - weighed in at 212.0, at 25.2% bodyfat (I realize the body fat measurements might not be accurate). I am 6'1" and would like to get down to 192 pounds. 

Anyway, I started a low carb diet today. I have never done a low carb diet and expect it is going to be really, really tough. But I also expect I'll get quick results. I am going to try to limit my carb intake mostly to fruits and veggies/carrots. 

My goal is to drop 12 pounds over the next 33 days. I am then going on a family vacation and will take a 5-day break from the diet. I will then jump back in and go for the remaining 8 pounds (or however many I need to get down to 192).

I am a big believer that publicizing my weight loss efforts will keep me on track, so I am going to post updates on here.

Today, day 1, I ate the following: (1) breakfast: protein shake (170 cals); (2) lunch: chipotle bowl, chicken and beef, cheese, lettuce, salsa and peppers/onions (est. 500 cals); and (3) dinner: shrimp and steak salad (est 700 cal) with fruit (100 cal). I also had a little bit of half and half in my morning coffee (60 cal). And I did 40 minutes on the treadmill. Today really wasn't that tough, given that it was day 1 of the diet and I had no social obligations.

I am trying to replace one-third of my meals with protein shakes (no carbs). I am also trying to hit 300,000 steps over the next 33 days, with some weight lifting as well.

The hardest thing for me is going to be cutting out beer, as well as what to eat when I am traveling for work (which should only be a few days out of the next 30). I am going to let myself cheat occasionally, such as when I attend birthday parties for two of my friends.

Up your intake a bit and look at recipes for electrolyte drinks. I make a lemonade concoction every time I jump on the keto wagon to combat the keto flu, which if you are jumping right into it will likely feel the effects....fatigue, headache, irritability, and some others. Your body will trip out for the first few days missing carbs and sugars....that shit is so bad for our bodies but dependent once you start drinking shit like sodas and eating breads all the time.

Don't stress about calories as all calories aren't created equal. That half and half is way worse than the 700 calories in the steak salad....also, ditch that if you can and go black.

Have you tried intermittent fasting? That was a game changer. Google it and see if you can add that to your routine......your normal sleep schedule is a bulk of the fast anyway. I like to stop eating by 7 or 8 at night and won't eat again until 11 or 12 the next day. When I had to be up earlier I would throw in some coffee because the caffeine is a hunger suppressant that helped not have me hungry or hating life until I would eat. Look into it, it's a huge difference maker. Ditch the breakfast shake, but take it around with you to have with lunch or as a snack.

Also, agreed to not beat yourself up or allow yourself to take a day or event off. If you stay on track with your diet and workout schedule the cheat days won't matter.

Good luck! Mix up the meals so you don't get bored and fall off because you are tired of chicken or what not. Also, limit the fruit and try to go for fruits with a lower glycemic index to keep your sugars down.....some fruits have a crazy amount of sugar in them and even though they may seem healthy because they are fruit, it's like eating a candy bar:

https://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/low-glycemic-fruits-for-diabetes 

Also, I think you mentioned being in a high stress environment. Try to manage that as the cortisol you'll release from stress will keep you from hitting your goals. Add in plenty of sleep and water, you'll be good.

But stress management was one I have been going down the rabbit hole with and how it affects our overall health and weight management.

3 hours ago, Brandon said:

Also, I think you mentioned being in a high stress environment. Try to manage that as the cortisol you'll release from stress will keep you from hitting your goals. Add in plenty of sleep and water, you'll be good.

But stress management was one I have been going down the rabbit hole with and how it affects our overall health and weight management.

This is a killer for me. I find it odd that I put all 18 pounds back on in just a year. My weight is subject to fluctuation, but not to that extreme. I have to wonder the degree to which stress played a role, and what else it is doing to my health beyond just weight gain.

4 minutes ago, wopphil said:

This is a killer for me. I find it odd that I put all 18 pounds back on in just a year. My weight is subject to fluctuation, but not to that extreme. I have to wonder the degree to which stress played a role, and what else it is doing to my health beyond just weight gain.

It's a big one. Science is coming out with more studies about how it affects health and fitness.

One that helped me when I was in a heavy environment was just taking time to take some walks throughout the day. But I need to work on this one, too.

Checkout intermittent fasting though. I'm dropping weight eating almost anything (I'm still conscious when I eat out and stay away from as much carbs and sugars as possible....but will still have fries or chips, etc.) because of the intermittent fasting. I've actually moved to a place where I almost only eat once now....like how us homo sapiens used to as we started evolution. If I have coffee I have gone until 2-3pm without eating. I'll usually pig out between 12-7pm, but because my appetite and stomach have shrank, I still can't go nuts before getting full. Plus, my energy levels are through the roof unless I do include a higher amount of carbs and get the insulin spike that causes a crash. It's worth a look dude. Google it and start slow....like I said earlier, most of the fast period is simply you sleeping 8 hours a night. I started with just stopping eating by x-o'clock and would eat the next day whenever I felt like I needed it. Body starts adjusting and you can stretch it out without feeling sick or getting headaches.