• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The exercise/weight loss thread

44 minutes ago, Adam said:

Nice find dude.

my position has evolved on home gyms

i only found it because when this was bumped it said hadn't been udpated since jan of 2015. i thought for sure this thread had been bumped since. maybe we have multiples.

but yeah home gyms are great if you have the space. 

im starting a project for that now. turning a huge storage room into 3 room: storage room, home gym, small wine cellar. will see how it pans out.

On 1/4/2017 at 5:00 PM, Richard said:

Figured I'd bump this since it's the new year..

Want to send my best to anyone looking to get into the fitness habit this year.

Best advice for this first month is to not focus on any long term results, but rather focus on getting into the workout habit of getting in 5 times a week for at least 1-1 1/2 hours.

Jesus 1 1/2 hours? IMO you'll burn yourself out and get sick of being there that long, and I am the type of person that ENJOYS the gym. 

I'd say 1 hour max to start is the best route. 5 min stretch, 5 min cardio to warm up 30-40 mins lifting, 10 min cardio to finish off. 

On 1/4/2017 at 6:41 PM, Adam said:

Nice find dude.

my position has evolved on home gyms

Good! Getting your ass out of the house to work out feels much better IMO!

I'm with CaliAngel.  If you're just looking to get into a fitness groove simply making it a part of your weekly routine and getting to the gym or exercising say 3 days a week to start will get you on your way.  You wouldn't sign up for a marathon and start training by running 5 miles on the first day when you aren't a runner so why would you go from not working out to overdoing it and getting burnt out?  Most people who make New Year's Resolutions and end up on the gym on the 1st or 2nd of January do that and probably 80% of them aren't going in February but they're still paying that monthly fee.  

7 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

Jesus 1 1/2 hours? IMO you'll burn yourself out and get sick of being there that long, and I am the type of person that ENJOYS the gym. 

I'd say 1 hour max to start is the best route. 5 min stretch, 5 min cardio to warm up 30-40 mins lifting, 10 min cardio to finish off. 

Good! Getting your ass out of the house to work out feels much better IMO!

Would say that's the max if you're trying to hit multiple muscle groups on the same day(I hit my chest tri's and shoulders on the same day), not something to do every session of course, but everyone is different and every persons body reacts differently. Discovering what works for you and seeing the results is the best part. For starters though, would agree 1 hour the most.

and yep, clean diet is the other factor as well. Proteins and veggies with light carbs(to replenish your glycogen levels and fuel your body) should be a must.

22 hours ago, cezero said:

Whenever I fall off working out, and then start back up, my biggest danger is hurting myself from trying to push too hard, especially with cardio. I've messed up my achilles a couple of times doing that. 

I blew up both Achilles two years ago and have been in and out of PT since. I was pain free after bladder cancer surgery for about two months, the drugs they had me on for recovery masked the inflammation that long. Then those wore off and by the fourth month my walking program was suspended by my doctor.

Back to PT for three months to try and get the strength back into the calves and ankles in order to relieve some of the strain on the Achilles. The left side is responding well and I can lift my full weight off the floor with it but the right side is too damaged. 

I will probably will require surgery but won't have enough time off between shows until around September. So in the mean time I do 20+ minutes on the stationary bike every day along with 5 sets of 15 ankle raises three different ways, combined and each foot separately. Then simple hip and ab work to strengthen the core so I can counter the tendency to walk splay foot and avoid hip problems.

It's not really excercise as much as trying to get to a point where I can. That is the problem with any injury, it really sets you back on getting into shape. 

I am trying to drop 20. My ideal weight is 193-195. Over the last three years, me weight has crept up, getting all the way up to 213.6 this Monday. 

I am doing a diet competition with a guy at work. Always good to have someone to compete with to keep you on track. We put a money wager on it.

Trying to work out 5 days a week - 3 miles in the treadmill (combination of walking and running), and 3 miles on the bike. Takes about 45 minutes. 

Also trying to keep my calories in the 1,800-2,000 range. 

If I can keep this pace, I'll be down to 195 by March 1.

make sure to switch it up phil so you don't plateau.....what you're doing is fine for your goals, just mix it up hiit style (high intensity interval training). mixing up speeds, inclines, and slow down periods keeps your body in a shock state so it never has the chance to adapt.

just diet alone could have you lose 20 by march 1st, but it would take a shitload of discipline.

good luck.

4 minutes ago, Taggart said:

make sure to switch it up phil so you don't plateau.....what you're doing is fine for your goals, just mix it up hiit style (high intensity interval training). mixing up speeds, inclines, and slow down periods keeps your body in a shock state so it never has the chance to adapt.

just diet alone could have you lose 20 by march 1st, but it would take a shitload of discipline.

good luck.

And cock push-ups 

I've had a weird last eight days. I weigh myself every Friday and keep track of my progress. My overall goal is to lose 225 lbs. and I'm over halfway there. Weighed myself on 12/29 at the doctor and was 329. Weighed myself on 12/30 and was 317. I have no idea why other it being difference between my scale at home and the doctors scale. Weighed myself yesterday and was 328. Didn't seem right so I weighed myself this morning and was back to 319. Not sure why there are such wide discrepancies. So overall I'm down 139 as of this morning.

May weigh myself again tomorrow just for giggles.

my method of exercise is to walk. I'm looking into a pair of roller blades to give myself another option as well as to start getting back into skating shape in prep for returning to the ice later this year.

I've pretty much gone to a small amount of meat and a ton of fruits and vegetables. Very little starch or dairy and no junk food. I drink about a pot of black coffee everyday and the rest is water and my evening shot of whiskey. Nothing after dinner. The only thing I really miss since I changed my diet is crunchy stuff. I eat celery and hummus and imagine it's chips and salsa. I'm 6' even and I've gone from 262 to 205 since last January.

thanks, guys. learning how and what to eat has been a challenge at times, especially making sure i take in enough water each day. i also can't have more than 10 g of sugar in anything, which has been a bigger challenge than i thought. i always read labels when i shop, and a lot of the "healthy" stuff at trader joes is still loaded with sugar, even their cereal.

i've had a tough time with getting in enough water until lately. i had to sip not gulp (victor's mom could never accomplish this) and take in 1 ounce every 15 minutes. it was miserable because i constantly felt bloated by that dinky little amount, and i was drinking maybe 30 of the 64 ounces i was supposed to drink each day. that finally changed for me around thanksgiving and i could finally start drinking closer to what i could do prior to surgery. i've been able to get in 50+ oz. daily since then, and it's been relatively easy to do. i was also very motivated by my kidney stone surgery to make sure i could flush my system.

at thanksgiving i bought some new pants. they were 8 inches smaller. i hold them up and think "man, these don't look big enough." and yet, now these new pants are already baggy. i'm going to keep using them through spring break, even though my gigantic butt is disappearing and it's getting tougher to keep them pulled up. i have a new belt arriving this week and it'll be the 5th belt i'll be using since surgery. one of my friends is a bariatric nurse and said he has patients that shop at goodwill during their weight loss process, and since we have one here in glendale i might give that a look-see. better than paying full retail price.

my overall goal is to get down to 225, and i'm now less than 100 pounds from that. am also hoping we have another aw.com softball game this year as i'd love to play.

9 hours ago, arch stanton said:

I've pretty much gone to a small amount of meat and a ton of fruits and vegetables. Very little starch or dairy and no junk food. I drink about a pot of black coffee everyday and the rest is water and my evening shot of whiskey. Nothing after dinner. The only thing I really miss since I changed my diet is crunchy stuff. I eat celery and hummus and imagine it's chips and salsa. I'm 6' even and I've gone from 262 to 205 since last January.

this is pretty much me. i noticed i've cut down on the protein portions for more vegetables as of late....i have this basic seasoning mix i do with brussel sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, or green beans that is great. i really limit fruits though because of the sugar content, probably only eat something fruit based about 2-3 times a week. generally a banana or i cut up an apple and put cinnamon on it. i'd like to limit dairy, but find those little meat, cheese, and nut snack packs plus cottage cheese and greek yogurt to be good snacks. seems like too much dairy.

but i drink a shitload of coffee too and it's a natural appetite suppressant. i need to remind myself to eat at times or i try to eat before i start drinking coffee.

4 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Nice job, Tank. One thing about scales is you have to eliminate variables. I weigh on the same scale placed on the same tile wearing the same amount of clothes at the same time everyday.

thanks. i'm doing the exact same thing. this scale has been very reliable so far, except for the last few days. oh well, not going to sweat it.