• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The exercise/weight loss thread

Do you have any back problems due to the length of your arms?  One thing to think about is how much work your putting into your back muscles.  I might be concerned that with the length of your arms, you're not giving your core or back enough of a work out.  You may not feel it now, but as you get older it might be an issue.

Just something to think about.  Consider your back conditioning and its correlation to your arms. 

My lower back is stiff a lot without regular stretching or running or walking a few miles a week.  Additionally, I have a tendency to slouch down in the computer chair which doesn't help my posture.  I don't walk around hunched over, but my posture is probably 95% what it ought to be. 

Also, I supposedly have scoliosis that causes my right shoulder to sit very slightly higher.  Only noticeable if I stare in the mirror long enough. 

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.  I've brought these things up to M.D.'s over the years, and I'm astounded how little they know on the subject.  Even the orthopedic doc is clueless about weight lifting to increase strength.  Throw in my specific circumstances and none of them know what to say. 

My lower back is stiff a lot without regular stretching or running or walking a few miles a week.  Additionally, I have a tendency to slouch down in the computer chair which doesn't help my posture.  I don't walk around hunched over, but my posture is probably 95% what it ought to be. 

Also, I supposedly have scoliosis that causes my right shoulder to sit very slightly higher.  Only noticeable if I stare in the mirror long enough. 

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.  I've brought these things up to M.D.'s over the years, and I'm astounded how little they know on the subject.  Even the orthopedic doc is clueless about weight lifting to increase strength.  Throw in my specific circumstances and none of them know what to say. 

Hmmm...interesting quandry.  I'm guessing you're in your 20s - early 30s.  I know from experience that poor computer posture mixed with incorrect weight lifting will hurt you and become an expensive problem eventually.  It has happened to me. 

A suggestion:  Spend a few bucks and go to a sports oriented physical therapist.  One who has a degree in the field and so on.  I've been seeing one for several months and he has turned my condition around.  I had a gradual pain in my back until it affected almost every move I made.  And I had numbness and tingling in my right arm (if you have soreness in your lower back, you may have something similar in your legs).  An MRI revealed some disc slippage and the physical therapist immediately took me off of weights and started me on various stretches and other exercises.  Eventually, I went back to the weights but only 5 lb. free weights.  Then 7.5.  Then 10 and so forth.  I'm at 12.5 lb now and this change has made a massive difference.  I'm hoping to bounce up to 15 lb this week.

It turns out my weightlifting, though I was doing much higher amounts of weight, was messing up my neck and back.  My weight lifting posture got worse as I tried to lift more and more. 

It took time, but finally, my body shut me down.  I'm re-learning how to lift after years of doing it wrong.  It's easy for the most experience weight lifter (which I am not) to fall into bad habits.

That's why I recommend a physical therapist.  The right one will tell you what to lift and how to lift.  The downside is they make a living off of you so you need to decide how often you go back, if at all.

PM me if you want a recommendation for a good physical therapist. 

Hmmm...interesting quandry.  I'm guessing you're in your 20s - early 30s.  I know from experience that poor computer posture mixed with incorrect weight lifting will hurt you and become an expensive problem eventually.  It has happened to me. 

A suggestion:  Spend a few bucks and go to a sports oriented physical therapist.  One who has a degree in the field and so on.  I've been seeing one for several months and he has turned my condition around.  I had a gradual pain in my back until it affected almost every move I made.  And I had numbness and tingling in my right arm (if you have soreness in your lower back, you may have something similar in your legs).  An MRI revealed some disc slippage and the physical therapist immediately took me off of weights and started me on various stretches and other exercises.  Eventually, I went back to the weights but only 5 lb. free weights.  Then 7.5.  Then 10 and so forth.  I'm at 12.5 lb now and this change has made a massive difference.  I'm hoping to bounce up to 15 lb this week.

It turns out my weightlifting, though I was doing much higher amounts of weight, was messing up my neck and back.  My weight lifting posture got worse as I tried to lift more and more. 

It took time, but finally, my body shut me down.  I'm re-learning how to lift after years of doing it wrong.  It's easy for the most experience weight lifter (which I am not) to fall into bad habits.

That's why I recommend a physical therapist.  The right one will tell you what to lift and how to lift.  The downside is they make a living off of you so you need to decide how often you go back, if at all.

PM me if you want a recommendation for a good physical therapist. 

Thanks, DowningRules.

I've never been to a physical therapist so I'm ignorant as to how they operate.  Are they autonomous from an M.D. or do they carry out a course of treatment prescribed by a physician?  You mentioned an MRI so I'm curious. 

In your case, what happens at a PT appointment?  Do they mostly talk to you and demonstrate proper form and exercises?

didn't make it today because a schedule mix up, but that's cool because I have a minor case of t-rex arms.....full blown bicep failure that results in the muscle balling up almost like a cramp and you can't fully extend the arms.

this time isn't bad because I spent all night stretching them and trying to break the blood vessels.

it's always the second day though, so tomorrow may be rough. the first time I got it I had it for five days...just brutal. this time isn't bad and a reminder why stopping the gym is a terrible idea.

Thanks, DowningRules.

I've never been to a physical therapist so I'm ignorant as to how they operate.  Are they autonomous from an M.D. or do they carry out a course of treatment prescribed by a physician?  You mentioned an MRI so I'm curious. 

In your case, what happens at a PT appointment?  Do they mostly talk to you and demonstrate proper form and exercises?

Your timing is good.  I went to PT today for the first time in weeks.  I made a mistake in my previous post:  I was at 15 pound weights and today I got permission to go up to 20.  That's huge news for me.  I can finally get a bit more 'swoll' to quote Mr. Ice Cube in an NWA song ("Still get swoll on bread and water...").

My PT appointments go like this:  Sit on examination/massage table and move my head to the left and then to the right.  The PT checks range of motion since my disc slippage is in my neck area.

He asks if I have any pain, numbness, discomfort, specifically in back and arms/hands.  He also comments on my posture from when he first spotted me.  If my neck/head are jutting forward I get chewed out.  If my shoulders are rounded forward I get chewed out.  HINT:  These are all symptoms of sitting at the computer.  When I first started, the PT showed me how to sit in a chair and use a mouse.  Chair raised high.  Had to get a wireless mouse to keep my elbow tucked in and hand closer to stomach/body.  All of these simple tips have made a massive difference.

I then get a serious rub down wherein the PT feels for any tightnesst or knots in my back and neck.  He's pretty good about pinpointing my problem areas without me saying anything.  He will tell me if one area is acting up, like he did today.  My middle back was a little out of whack but he said that's typical of most anyone.  Overall, I did good since my last visit. 

Next, he gives me some new stretches or exercises to do, usually with an eye to strengthening my back muscles which help support my neck, arms, shoulders.  Today was mellow:  He showed me how to do push-ups without hurting my back, yet strengthening it.

I have him video me with my iphone so I know exactly how to do the exercises when I get to the gym.  That has been a huge help.  If I forget an exercise, or how to do it, the iphone video is handy. 

Typically, the last thing in the appointment is muscle stimulation wherein I lie down with little zappers sending vibrations to loosen up my muscles.  Outta there in about an hour or so. 

I do stretches at home every morning which I actually look forward to now.  I know they're helping.

Edited by DowningRules

didn't make it today because a schedule mix up, but that's cool because I have a minor case of t-rex arms.....full blown bicep failure that results in the muscle balling up almost like a cramp and you can't fully extend the arms.

this time isn't bad because I spent all night stretching them and trying to break the blood vessels.

it's always the second day though, so tomorrow may be rough. the first time I got it I had it for five days...just brutal. this time isn't bad and a reminder why stopping the gym is a terrible idea.

if you aren't already, try adding in some BCAAs and L-Glutamine powder to your daily shakes.

it will help with recovery.

but that pain is good - means you ripped up the muscle fiber.

now it just needs to repair.

the body will take protein and fill the tears thus building the guns yo.

yeah, I still do the same thing we talked about years ago:

pre: pre-workout and bcaas

during: bcaas

it was worse today as expected, but Spartacus loosened it up this morning.

I like it.

on a side note, the getting back and tearing that causes the muscles to swell is funny. people asked about roids yesterday.

Edited by Brandon

yeah, I still do the same thing we talked about years ago:

pre: pre-workout and bcaas

during: bcaas

it was worse today as expected, but Spartacus loosened it up this morning.

I like it.

on a side note, the getting back and tearing that causes the muscles to swell is funny. people asked about roids yesterday.

no creatine?  :huh:

I don't know about muscle growth, but in college, when I hit a plateau (lasted about 3 months) I started a creatine regimen. My bench max went from 350 LBs to 385 LBs in 4 weeks. My squat and power clean went up similar percentages. 

i love creatine.

its one of the holy trinity of lifting supplements (along with whey and glutamine).

very much scientifically proven to be effective.

monohydrate you will retain a little water but it's negligible for the impact it has.

you can use estyl ether if you dont want any bloating but it's usually not worth it imo.

Your timing is good.  I went to PT today for the first time in weeks.  I made a mistake in my previous post:  I was at 15 pound weights and today I got permission to go up to 20.  That's huge news for me.  I can finally get a bit more 'swoll' to quote Mr. Ice Cube in an NWA song ("Still get swoll on bread and water...").

My PT appointments go like this:  Sit on examination/massage table and move my head to the left and then to the right.  The PT checks range of motion since my disc slippage is in my neck area.

He asks if I have any pain, numbness, discomfort, specifically in back and arms/hands.  He also comments on my posture from when he first spotted me.  If my neck/head are jutting forward I get chewed out.  If my shoulders are rounded forward I get chewed out.  HINT:  These are all symptoms of sitting at the computer.  When I first started, the PT showed me how to sit in a chair and use a mouse.  Chair raised high.  Had to get a wireless mouse to keep my elbow tucked in and hand closer to stomach/body.  All of these simple tips have made a massive difference.

I then get a serious rub down wherein the PT feels for any tightnesst or knots in my back and neck.  He's pretty good about pinpointing my problem areas without me saying anything.  He will tell me if one area is acting up, like he did today.  My middle back was a little out of whack but he said that's typical of most anyone.  Overall, I did good since my last visit. 

Next, he gives me some new stretches or exercises to do, usually with an eye to strengthening my back muscles which help support my neck, arms, shoulders.  Today was mellow:  He showed me how to do push-ups without hurting my back, yet strengthening it.

I have him video me with my iphone so I know exactly how to do the exercises when I get to the gym.  That has been a huge help.  If I forget an exercise, or how to do it, the iphone video is handy. 

Typically, the last thing in the appointment is muscle stimulation wherein I lie down with little zappers sending vibrations to loosen up my muscles.  Outta there in about an hour or so. 

I do stretches at home every morning which I actually look forward to now.  I know they're helping.

Very interesting. 

A lot of what you describe resembles what is available from a chiropractor.  I know they are different professions, but the question I need to ask is this:  Does quackery run rampant among physical therapists like it does with chiropractors? 

I have a very dim view of chiropractors, thanks in part to an uncle and cousin being chiropractors.  Their stories have left me completely disillusioned over the years.  My cousin strings patients along to finance the luxury cars, clothing, houses, and vacations.  The breaking point for me was hearing him say he "treats" asthma, ADHD, and skin problems by seeing patients on a regular basis.  Uh huh.

I doubt PT makes such outlandish promises, but how would I identify quack suggestions from a PT so I don't waste my time and money?  

I don't know about muscle growth, but in college, when I hit a plateau (lasted about 3 months) I started a creatine regimen. My bench max went from 350 LBs to 385 LBs in 4 weeks. My squat and power clean went up similar percentages.

How was your CERA?