• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Tyler Anderson (3 years, $39 million)

mmc

6 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

So, heading into next offseason projected rotation is; 

1. Othani

2.Anderson

3. Sandy

4. Suarez

5. Detmers

Depth;

1. Canning

2. SIlseth 

3.C-Rod

4. Bush

5. Bachman 

5. Marceaux 

6. Erla

That's solid depth. 

Cannot count on Canning or C-Rod they would or could be a big plus if healthy. I see one more starter I say it will be Lorenzen.

19 hours ago, Second Base said:

I don't particularly like or dislike Perry, but even his skeptics would be quick to point out that he isn't "unaware" of team needs. He's trying to compete while operating under budgetary constraints and build a farm, like any other GM. 

He knows the offense needs to improve. Whether he can do it while remaining faithful to the two factors I listed above is another thing entirely. 

I think he'll make another Dexter Fowler type of move in the outfield, acquiring a platoon veteran for cheap, maybe Charlie Blackmon, and get someone like Kolton Wong to raise the floor of the lineup. 

I totally agree with what you're saying about Perry's need to improve the offense while adhering to budgetary constraints. And now that he signed Tyler Anderson I think he will look to upgrade the offense with those same budgetary constraints. He is about $15 M under last year and that includes the need for bullpen help.

So where do you effectively upgrade the offense based on what you have to spend and who you have on the roster?

I don't think it's at SS. Rengifo/Fletcher/Soto are a cost effective solution at MIF.

I don't think it's necessarily in LF. Jo Adell is only 23 and cheap. I don't think they will give up on him. It will probably be his job to lose on opening day.

So who do you bring in to upgrade the offense? I think it's a first baseman who can play LF and will start the season at 1B while they figure out if Walsh is healthy enough to play in '23 and if he can play, will he be effective against RHP's - unlike last year.

I think they should sign Trey Mancini or sign/trade for someone like him. Someone who is in their budgetary constraints and can cover your deficiency at 1B or LF.

1 hour ago, TempeAngel said:

I totally agree with what you're saying about Perry's need to improve the offense while adhering to budgetary constraints. And now that he signed Tyler Anderson I think he will look to upgrade the offense with those same budgetary constraints. He is about $15 M under last year and that includes the need for bullpen help.

So where do you effectively upgrade the offense based on what you have to spend and who you have on the roster?

I don't think it's at SS. Rengifo/Fletcher/Soto are a cost effective solution at MIF.

I don't think it's necessarily in LF. Jo Adell is only 23 and cheap. I don't think they will give up on him. It will probably be his job to lose on opening day.

So who do you bring in to upgrade the offense? I think it's a first baseman who can play LF and will start the season at 1B while they figure out if Walsh is healthy enough to play in '23 and if he can play, will he be effective against RHP's - unlike last year.

I think they should sign Trey Mancini or sign/trade for someone like him. Someone who is in their budgetary constraints and can cover your deficiency at 1B or LF.

i definitely agree with your last statement. somebody that is good enough to start at either position. i disagree about adell though. i don't think he's gifted a starting job next year. i think he's going to have to earn it and i won't be surprised at all to see him sent down or even potentially more likely traded if there are teams that like him still.

3 hours ago, TempeAngel said:

I've seen everything. Adell who can't hit or play defense to save his life is trusted more than Jared Walsh who was an all-star *last season* and injured this year. Getting surgery was the last resort for Walsh, he was clearly dealing with this issue for quite a while. He started slow in April. May and June he was a roughly league average hitter before falling off a cliff in July. Will he be an all-star again? Probably not. Honestly, even in 2021 he needed a platoon partner. But he was more than capable. Adell will not be worth anything to anyone until he can learn to hit major league pitching without striking out 50% of the time.

12 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

I'd like to see Crod in the pen going forward

This is a fair opinion, and it may ultimately be the direction the team goes with him. But I think he has so much to offer as a starter that it would be unwise to abandon that path.

His health is a concern, but it's been overblown by the overall time he has missed. He hasn't had as many injuries as people think. 

But he does have to pitch, and obviously at a certain point you have to rip the bandaid off. If he can't stay on the mound as a starter then moving him to a relief role might work better.

Then again, are shorter, more intense appearances better for his back and arm than longer, more paced out appearances? We'll see. 

I'm still on team C-Rod. His stuff is better than everyone not named Ohtani.

13 hours ago, ukyah said:

i definitely agree with your last statement. somebody that is good enough to start at either position. i disagree about adell though. i don't think he's gifted a starting job next year. i think he's going to have to earn it and i won't be surprised at all to see him sent down or even potentially more likely traded if there are teams that like him still.

I think you're probably right. If Adell shows absolutely no progress in Spring Training they may send him down to play everyday

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

My belief on CRod is having a routine, like a starter has is the safer approach to his health, than being in the pen where you don’t know whether or not you’ll pitch on any given game. Then again maybe Tamin’s bullpen health chart would help him out. 

The benefit of bringing CRod back in the bullpen is that it's easier to limit his innings, which seems like something they're gonna have to/want to do.

20 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Cannot count on Canning or C-Rod they would or could be a big plus if healthy. I see one more starter I say it will be Lorenzen.

EXACTLY, The Historical issue with the Halos! Oh, this guy or that guy will be back next season! Dude comes back for 3-6 starts. Then it's next season, next season, next season... Just switch out the names all the way back to Bruce Kison! It's a never ending push for HOPE!

Angels Baseball 2024 Campaign "The sphere of HOPE'....

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, mmc said:

Starting pitching as a whole is letting us down, easy to point the finger at him since he's the most recent guy to get the money but something isn't right with this group as a whole

Detmers gets some leeway from me still since this is only his 2nd full season and he's only about to turn 24. You see the flashes, just hasn't fully put it together yet.

Sandoval has been a huge letdown. The K rate has plummeted this year which has completely killed his ability to be a quality starter. He's never had great command, so the strikeout potential is what helped him neutralize things but that's completely vanished this season

Anderson is simply bad with very bad stuff and can't miss bats. Don't see a path to him turning things around much