• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Tyler Anderson (3 years, $39 million)

mmc

16 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Mike Clevinger and maybe Mitch Haniger or as 6th starter Lorenzen

If the Angels sign another starter I believe it will be a top tier rotation arm. Suarez will be better than Clevinger IMO. 

Also, I strongly believe the Angels will go back to a 5-man rotation in 2023. 

A 5 man rotation, if all five can handle the workload, will be far more effective than a 6 man rotation. It's hard enough to put 5 arms in a rotation and not have one that isn't very good. With a 6 man you've now doubled up on not very good and allocated more payroll which means less for the other position players. 

19 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If the Angels sign another starter I believe it will be a top tier rotation arm. Suarez will be better than Clevinger IMO. 

Also, I strongly believe the Angels will go back to a 5-man rotation in 2023. 

In OC Register article today of signing Tyler Anderson, Minasian said last week in GM meetings Angels plan on 6 man rotation. 

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think if they sign another arm it’ll be Senga. 

If they also sign Senga, then I REALLY hope Arte is (for reasons that would still make no logical sense to me from a business standpoint...) truly letting the cash flow and there are also significant additions to the offense and bullpen.  Spending ~$30M AAV on two guys to upgrade the rotation without doing much else still leaves a lot of question marks.

23 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I mean, I hope not?  I'm surprised they even spent this much on an individual free agent, as I expected this to be a bleak off-season.  If Anderson is the start of a series of moves, then, sure, I don't have an issue with it.  But if he's the big splash--or the only splash--then I think it's a bit of a waste.  As someone else said earlier in this thread (sorry, too lazy to scroll back), it's really all about the context.

I think the timing is throwing some off. Last year the Angels came out strong to get Syndergaard, likely because he had multiple suitors. That turned out to be their big/only move aside from re-signing Iglesias. The timing was likely because they wanted to secure him. The timing of this is strictly because he was leaning towards accepting the QO from the Dodgers. It doesn't indicate this is their big move. Perry has been preaching depth for weeks. This is a depth move, albeit in the rotation. He has mostly been talking about the lineup in interviews, needing to fill the "middle" below his top heavy lineup. That means SS, 1B, LF, and C depth.

41 minutes ago, Blarg said:

A 5 man rotation, if all five can handle the workload, will be far more effective than a 6 man rotation. It's hard enough to put 5 arms in a rotation and not have one that isn't very good. With a 6 man you've now doubled up on not very good and allocated more payroll which means less for the other position players. 

it doesn't matter what they call the rotation. if you don't like your 6th, 7th, and 8th starters you're not going nowhere. every team averages 10 different starting pitchers per season for the last 11 years. angels need to get deeper... and better.

27 minutes ago, ukyah said:

it doesn't matter what they call the rotation. if you don't like your 6th, 7th, and 8th starters you're not going nowhere. every team averages 10 different starting pitchers per season for the last 11 years. angels need to get deeper... and better.

That's why we have Silseth and Bush and hopefully Canning and Rodriguez.

I don't particularly like or dislike Perry, but even his skeptics would be quick to point out that he isn't "unaware" of team needs. He's trying to compete while operating under budgetary constraints and build a farm, like any other GM. 

He knows the offense needs to improve. Whether he can do it while remaining faithful to the two factors I listed above is another thing entirely. 

I think he'll make another Dexter Fowler type of move in the outfield, acquiring a platoon veteran for cheap, maybe Charlie Blackmon, and get someone like Kolton Wong to raise the floor of the lineup. 

26 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I don't particularly like or dislike Perry, but even his skeptics would be quick to point out that he isn't "unaware" of team needs. He's trying to compete while operating under budgetary constraints and build a farm, like any other GM. 

He knows the offense needs to improve. Whether he can do it while remaining faithful to the two factors I listed above is another thing entirely. 

I think he'll make another Dexter Fowler type of move in the outfield, acquiring a platoon veteran for cheap, maybe Charlie Blackmon, and get someone like Kolton Wong to raise the floor of the lineup. 

Angels biggest need is hitters.  I'm not really sure why Perry signed Anderson when starting pitching was very solid all season.  Angels need depth and quality players up and down this roster especially when Rendon and Trout will very likely miss a portion of the season. 

50 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

Angels biggest need is hitters.  I'm not really sure why Perry signed Anderson when starting pitching was very solid all season.  Angels need depth and quality players up and down this roster especially when Rendon and Trout will very likely miss a portion of the season. 

Well, the starting pitching was good, but that doesn't mean it can't be improved.    And making sp deeper could help the bullpen or help avoid using the bullpen so much.  

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

That's why we have Silseth and Bush and hopefully Canning and Rodriguez.

i agree. i was commenting on the prior comment regarding a 5 or 6 man rotation. the point being call it what you like, but you need at least 6 or 7 that will log serious SP innings and the rest will give you spot starts over the year.

1 hour ago, aznhockeyguy said:

he had to replace lorenzen just to maintain the status quo. it seems like he did what you wanted him to do, which is maintain the SP gains from last year.

In terms of 5 man vs 6 man .. I think that perhaps we won't see the team truly set on either one.  I think what you will see is what we see with a number of teams - they'll have 5 set guys, but then they will call up a 6th one if the team is in a stretch of consecutive games.

For example - if they play 5 games, then have a day off, then they can pitch their first starter again after that day off.  If, however, they have, say, 7 consecutive games, they'll call up someone pitch game 6, then send him back down after that game, then go back to the first starter, and so on and so forth.

I think in some ways it is somewhat like a "5.5" man rotation, which is just dependent on how many consecutive games a team has on its schedule.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

A4C64CD6-4A7A-47C0-BAE9-2E05BF33D099.jpeg

Ok, except for the heater and Ks, Anderson looks good in that graph.

Can he maintain the same grip on the change in 2023?   That’s key.

He may have another advantage in 2023: limited exposure to AL hitters.   Other than interleague games, just 13 starts for Seattle in 2021.

If they are trading Suarez, I hope they get either Yandy Diaz or a decent/solid LF.

Then sign Senga and re-sign Lorenzen, leaving mostly just 1-2 relievers needed.

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

I like this move, but we need bats. 

We can have all the starting pitching in the world but if these guys are looking at pitches down the pipe for strike 3, or whiffing at pitches that are strikes while swinging at 55 foot breaking balls, holding the opposition to 1 or 2 runs doesn't mean shit. 

I’m sure they will get some bats.  But what I am also hopeful for is more internal improvement.  That quote from Maddon, about not wanting to let the FO “meddle” and dictate Marsh’s swing change was rather revealing.

Hopefully, Minasian and Nevin can work more in tandem and allow an integration of FO ideals/principles and coaching decisions.  I think Minasian and Tamin have strong backgrounds, and really, I expect to see significant internal improvement as long as there can be a synergy between the FO and player development/coaching teams, which seemed to be lacking with Maddon serving as manager.