• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Tyler Anderson (3 years, $39 million)

mmc

I haven't read this whole thread, but the question that pops into my mind is if the Angels felt comfortable giving up a 2nd round pick (and INT FA pool money), does that speak to a larger strategy of going after one or more other, compensation-attached, free agent's, since there is a declining price to pay in terms of draft picks for signing each additional free agent?

Edited by ettin

20 minutes ago, ettin said:

I haven't read this whole thread, but the question that pops into my mind is if the Angels felt comfortable giving up a 2nd round pick (and INT FA pool money), does that speak to a larger strategy of going after one or more other, compensation-attached, free agent's, since there is a declining price to pay in terms of draft picks for signing each additional free agent?

I think Perry knows he needs to get as creative or aggressive as possible in order to retain his job. He needs to prove his worth not only to the league but also the future owner so that he's not DOA when new ownership takes over.

28 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This sort of reminds me of CJ Wilson.

And if we get similar results, for 39 million its not really that bad. If we get 2 good seasons from him. Good being solid.

Also. How come @Angel Oracle never called him TJ Wilson?

Thought the same thing....5 years  was too much for Wilson and 3 years is probably too much for Anderson but you generally have to overpay for FA pitching....same thing with Bartolo Colon....too many years but he was awfully good for the front end of his  deal....

15 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Thought the same thing....5 years  was too much for Wilson and 3 years is probably too much for Anderson but you generally have to overpay for FA pitching....same thing with Bartolo Colon....too many years but he was awfully good for the front end of his  deal....

I keep thinking Dodgers offered him 19.65 mill. Did they think he would not accept because he will 33. Still feel decent gamble for halos. Halos gave Thor 20 mill for 1 year

New FanGraphs article on Tyler Anderson evolvement as a pitcher and his new deal with the Angels. Definitely worth a read but here's a snippet from the article.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/tyler-andersons-new-plan-and-new-contract/

Anderson is a delightful enigma of a pitcher. He throws over-the-top fastballs and changeups to righties, mixing in the odd cutter to keep hitters honest. He has that weird double-fastball, double-cutter plan against lefties. He’s changed the way he operates against every opposing hitter, and changed it in different ways. The result was a career-best season, with secondary numbers that suggest a lot of what he did might be sustainable.

The Dodgers seemed to think so – they extended him a qualifying offer, which would have paid him nearly $20 million next year. The Angels thought so too, giving him a three-year deal worth $39 million that will keep him in southern California through the 2025 season.

As far as I’m concerned, that’s a great deal for the Angels. I thought that Anderson would get something in the range of $15 million per year, and that if he fell short of that in AAV, he’d just take the qualifying offer and try again next year. It’s not that he’s wildly short of that, but even at my estimate of two years and $30 million, I thought he would be one of the bargains of the offseason. At three years and $39 million, the Angels are getting an affordable third year.

Edited by rafibomb

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

I know I'm being lazy by simply pointing to past Angel pitchers. But if we get a Wilson deal out of this, with 2023 "pretty good", 2024 "not bad", and the final year whatever it is, for a FA pitcher at 13 mill a year, that's not bad.