• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Tyler Anderson (3 years, $39 million)

mmc

37 minutes ago, Wisconsin27 said:

Like others have said, if he pitches to a low 4 era over three years, it's sound value.

I'm not a fan, though, of losing international $ and a 2nd round pick for a 32 year old.  

What I don't understand is why the Dodgers didn't sign him for 3/39.  If they were sold that he could come close to repeating his performance, I would think they would have done it.  What am I missing?

They did offer 19.65 for 1 year. Maybe they knew he would become a free agent. Most thought he was going to accept QO but only he had a week to decide.

I can live with this deal at 13m per.  It's not my favorite by any stretch.  It's one year longer than I'd hope for.  Low 4's era and 160+ innings is about what I expect for the first two years.  If he can do it through age 35 I'll be surprised.  

I am happy that the Angels didn't ignore their rotation depth.  

I like it more than bringing back Thor or Lorenzen.  

All he has to do is not turn into a complete pumpkin and it's reasonable.   There's some risk due to his age but if the expectation is what he's done prior to 2022 with some upside to actually pitch better than that then ok.  

I do hope it's backloaded so the next owner can buy their way out of an extra few mil and not let it be an issue.  

19 minutes ago, DMVol said:

If you want to look on the bright side, he pitched in Colorado for his first 4 years…that’s pretty tough for a pitcher…

His home ERA was lower than his road ERA in 2016-2018.  It was higher in 2019 (5 total starts), where he had a 13.91 ERA at home in 3 starts and a 9.31 ERA in 2 road starts.

3 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

His home ERA was lower than his road ERA in 2016-2018.  It was higher in 2019 (5 total starts), where he had a 13.91 ERA at home in 3 starts and a 9.31 ERA in 2 road starts.

I got nothing then….except we’re a year late…

1 hour ago, Wisconsin27 said:

Like others have said, if he pitches to a low 4 era over three years, it's sound value.

I'm not a fan, though, of losing international $ and a 2nd round pick for a 32 year old.  

What I don't understand is why the Dodgers didn't sign him for 3/39.  If they were sold that he could come close to repeating his performance, I would think they would have done it.  What am I missing?

They did offer 19.65 for 1 year. Maybe they knew he would become a free agent. Most thought he was going to accept QO but only he had a week to decide.

1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

I have no idea why the freak out. $13 million a year is the 33rd highest salary CURRENTLY. That's without any FA signings--deGrom, Bassit, Manaea, Verlander, Rodon...

This is a floor raiser. Plain and simple. These are the kind of moves they need to build a top rotation. Anderson becomes your 3/4 guy, not your #2. They aren't paying him like a #2. And temper your expectations. At 13 mil, you hope for high 3/low 4 ERAs. And you know you're getting 140+ innings. How do we think this doesn't help the team? I don't understand that. It's 3 years, yes, but he's a changeup heavy low velo pitcher. It's not like we're worried about him regaining velocity. 

Finally, the Dodgers were willing to bring him back at 19. Sure, they maybe thought he'd decline for a multi-year deal. But they were willing to. And they didn't do anything major, just helped with his grip and pitch mix. He will take some stuff away from there. Solid move. Not great, but solid. And there's not a chance this is it. 

I mean, I hope not?  I'm surprised they even spent this much on an individual free agent, as I expected this to be a bleak off-season.  If Anderson is the start of a series of moves, then, sure, I don't have an issue with it.  But if he's the big splash--or the only splash--then I think it's a bit of a waste.  As someone else said earlier in this thread (sorry, too lazy to scroll back), it's really all about the context.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I mean, I hope not?  I'm surprised they even spent this much on an individual free agent, as I expected this to be a bleak off-season.  If Anderson is the start of a series of moves, then, sure, I don't have an issue with it.  But if he's the big splash--or the only splash--then I think it's a bit of a waste.  As someone else said earlier in this thread (sorry, too lazy to scroll back), it's really all about the context.

Solid take and I agree with the consensus if this is the start of good things to come this offseason. 

We need some production at LF, SS and possibly a platoon partner at 1B... in addition to some relief pitching help. 

The greedy side of me wants to sign Koda or someone like Rodon to boast one of the the best rotations in baseball. 

22 minutes ago, JAHV76 said:

Biggest off-season need was pitching done.  Hopefully SS and another starting pitcher are next 

I can't really see another SP, unless there's a corresponding trade to be done at the same time.  They already have 5 SPs and have floated the concept of using a 5 man rotation instead of a 6 man rotation.  Even if they stick with 6, they have a number of guys they can use in that 6th spot.

They definitely needed another SP, but now they have one.  Assuming they won't significantly increase budget, I would assume the remaining financial resources will be thrown at the middle infield and a corner OF, to go along with some low key RP moves perhaps.

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Solid take and I agree with the consensus if this is the start of good things to come this offseason. 

We need some production at LF, SS and possibly a platoon partner at 1B... in addition to some relief pitching help. 

The greedy side of me wants to sign Koda or someone like Rodon to boast one of the the best rotations in baseball. 

Call me crazy but I still don't believe we have one of the best rotations in baseball (at all). Aside from Ohtani, we can still use a top #1/#2 guy. 

If the Angels want to have a chance at the playoffs then I want them to get someone like Turner at SS and then swap a trade for another solid pitcher. You'd have Suarez and your infield prospects to dangle in a trade. It finally gives them a proper leadoff guy and a solid 1-2 combo and mixing Sandoval/Anderson in there at #3 when playoffs roll around. 

Angels aren't there yet, but they can't stop with what they have started. They have a chance to be "decent" maybe good, but they need to keep pushing.

10 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Call me crazy but I still don't believe we have one of the best rotations in baseball (at all). Aside from Ohtani, we can still use a top #1/#2 guy. 

If the Angels want to have a chance at the playoffs then I want them to get someone like Turner at SS and then swap a trade for another solid pitcher. You'd have Suarez and your infield prospects to dangle in a trade. It finally gives them a proper leadoff guy and a solid 1-2 combo and mixing Sandoval/Anderson in there at #3 when playoffs roll around. 

Angels aren't there yet, but they can't stop with what they have started. They have a chance to be "decent" maybe good, but they need to keep pushing.

Sandoval is a #2 starter.