• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Tyler Anderson (3 years, $39 million)

mmc

2 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

It's annoying because it's one of those straddle the fence type of moves where you're not committing to top end talent and if the guy sucks you're stuck trying playing him for 2 extra years or finding a way to get rid of him (exactly like Cozart)

This exactly. This is what I was trying to get at in my last comment. Amen to this.

Just now, Second Base said:

I should clarify, I don't think Anderson will be a pumpkin immediately. I just think optimistic fans expecting a 2.57 ERA are going to be disappointed when he posts a 3.80 ERA. 

If he puts up a sub-4 ERA while staying healthy I think it's a great signing. My concern is he puts up a 4.50 ERA

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

It’s entirely possible he puts up a couple of seasons under 4 ERA which means he earned his $13 million on the open market. 

Which is exactly the problem. The open market is incredibly overvalued. Understandable since there's limited options every offseason and a lot of clubs with pitching needs BUT. Here this club goes again not even trying to develop their core pitchers and just going with a "proven" yet mediocre option and we have no clue what we're gonna get from this guy.

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I know Perry said he can spend normally but if they Angels signed others (maybe better player) to bigger deals does that maybe indicate that the sell of the team is imminent and that the new owner/group is saying go for it?

Aren't multi-year deals putting the financials owed on the new owner?

The new owners are going to spend $3 billion on the franchise. They won't give a dumb about this contract from a financial point of view.

What I like:

- 173 IP averaged the last two seasons would be by far the most on the Angels.
- The Angels wanted him last year and he was great.
- The Dodgers demonstrated he is maybe better than his career numbers suggest. His ERA is probably not going to stay sub-3.00, but if he even reverts to his FIP at 160(+) innings, that's a win.
- The Dodgers wanted him back. Whenever the best team in baseball run by one of the smartest guys in baseball wants a guy, there is a good reason for it.
- $13.3m aav is very reasonable.

What I'm not crazy about:
- 3 years is more than I would've liked, but it probably was necessary to get him. Reality is, good pitchers(/players) want to win, so unless you overpay they'll go elsewhere.
- I thought the QO would end our interest in him, so that's a bit weird that Minasian was pursuing both Anderson and Martin Perez (also with a QO). On the bright side, maybe that means we're planning to spend some money this offseason if they're willing to sacrifice a high pick on a $13m pitcher.
- Four lefties. Can't imagine we're getting rid of Sandoval, and Detmers seems like he's on his way to be a really good starter, so I can only assume Suarez is being shopped. Either that or Shohei made it known that he wants to be the only RHP in the rotation.
- Will his pitch-to-contact style be as effective in Anaheim as it was for LA? Fangraphs Def. WAR has LA at #6 in 2022, and Angels at #21.

People bashing Anderson seem to think they're smarter than Andrew Friedman. Bold take, imo.

Career year at the age of 32 while he was exactly league average from 2016-2021 based on an ERA+ of 100. If his arm doesn’t fall off and he eats innings while being at least average great. That said it’s not likely to be a move we look back on as a win in 3 years. If it’s not something people are regularly griping about then that’s a win as far as most Angels pitching signings in recent years. 

1 minute ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

If he puts up a sub-4 ERA while staying healthy I think it's a great signing. My concern is he puts up a 4.50 ERA

At 13 million per year, across three years into his mid 30's, and giving up a second round pick for a system that could really use a high draft pick.... It's an investment. Not a particularly safe one. 

2 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Which is exactly the problem. The open market is incredibly overvalued. Understandable since there's limited options every offseason and a lot of clubs with pitching needs BUT. Here this club goes again not even trying to develop their core pitchers and just going with a "proven" yet mediocre option and we have no clue what we're gonna get from this guy.

What are you talking about?  The other four guys in the rotation have developed in our system or are Ohtani. 

2 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

What I like:

- 173 IP averaged the last two seasons would be by far the most on the Angels.
- The Angels wanted him last year and he was great.
- The Dodgers demonstrated he is maybe better than his career numbers suggest. His ERA is probably not going to stay sub-3.00, but if he even reverts to his FIP at 160(+) innings, that's a win.
- The Dodgers wanted him back. Whenever the best team in baseball run by one of the smartest guys in baseball wants a guy, there is a good reason for it.
- $13.3m aav is very reasonable.

What I'm not crazy about:
- 3 years is more than I would've liked, but it probably was necessary to get him. Reality is, good pitchers(/players) want to win, so unless you overpay they'll go elsewhere.
- I thought the QO would end our interest in him, so that's a bit weird that Minasian was pursuing both Anderson and Martin Perez (also with a QO). On the bright side, maybe that means we're planning to spend some money this offseason if they're willing to sacrifice a high pick on a $13m pitcher.
- Four lefties. Can't imagine we're getting rid of Sandoval, and Detmers seems like he's on his way to be a really good starter, so I can only assume Suarez is being shopped. Either that or Shohei made it known that he wants to be the only RHP in the rotation.
- Will his pitch-to-contact style be as effective in Anaheim as it was for LA? Fangraphs Def. WAR has LA at #6 in 2022, and Angels at #21.

People bashing Anderson seem to think they're smarter than Andrew Friedman. Bold take, imo.

The Dodgers make their players better, the Angels don't. He will only reach those innings if he doesn't get lit up. I don't wanna see a guy with a 5 ERA throwing too many innings.

On 11/15/2022 at 4:26 PM, mmc said:

For years people want this team to sign a starter to a multi-year deal, Angels finally do and everyone's up in arms.

Not up in arms.  But not fond of a guy that cant manufacture his own outs and let's be real.  In Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers, they already have three LHPs, long term..  All with better stuff -- and Ky Bush is in the minors.

Anderson is fine.  If he reverts to his career form he's a 4.20 ERA guy who gives a team innings.  At least they aren't trying to reinvent the guy or hoping he will rediscover some lost velocity.  

Signing guys who raise the floor isn't an awful choice.

4 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

The Dodgers make their players better, the Angels don't. He will only reach those innings if he doesn't get lit up. I don't wanna see a guy with a 5 ERA throwing too many innings.

Then maybe you should go over to Dodgerwin.com since they're do everything right and we do nothing right. 🙄

Your comment makes little sense to me, frankly. What are you expecting? Sign players who are already amazing and have a long track record of success? Or are you just hate-rooting against the Angels? 😂

5 minutes ago, VladdyforHOF said:

Well he’s never had a 5 ERA in a season, so you are in luck. 

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Also, evidently Anderson is motivated by factors other than winning and team culture. The Angels don't have much of either of those. 

Maybe just money, and geography. 

Maybe he's bitter at the team and philosophy that yanked him while pitching the game of his life.