• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Tyler Anderson (3 years, $39 million)

mmc

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/angels-tyler-anderson-agree-to-three-year-deal-after-rejecting-dodgers-qualifying-offer-per-reports/

Anderson, 32, was an All-Star for the Dodgerslast season. He went 15-5 with a 2.57 ERA (163 ERA+), 1.00 WHIP and 138 strikeouts against 34 walks in 178 2/3 innings. He was extended a qualifying offer by the Dodgers, but instead rejected it and chose to sign with the Angels on this multi-year deal instead. 

Clearly Anderson wants a WS ring and he sees the Halos as “the team” that can deliver.

2 minutes ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

I'm wondering if the Angels have interest in other players that have also declined their QO's. Meaning, maybe they intend on signing multiple players with a QO, Tyler just happens to be the first (not too exciting) one. 

Problem is losing early round draft picks for each.    Heightened when the guy has had just one good season.

Even in parks like S.F.’s and Pittsburgh’s, his ERA was in the 4.00’s, when pitchers still hit in the NL.

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Which is sad because Suarez has better stuff and is just 25 next season.

There’s a chance both Arte and Perry are also seeing 2023 as a win-now season too.

Depending on how the sale process goes, it could be Arte’s last shot at a ring and Perry’s fighting for his job.

I wouldn’t be terribly surprised if they gambled and went for it this winter a lot more than people are expecting. Maybe not huge contracts, but short/mid like these and win-now trades. Arte will make more than enough profit that inflating payroll for one season would harm. Gives him one last shot at a ring, not huge money added for next buyer, etc.

Edited by totdprods

6 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Incoming 4.75 ERA now that he's no longer on the Dodgers and is with the Angels

The AAV isn't terrible though, and this probably means the Angels end up moving one of their LHP in a trade I'd imagine? That's a lot of LHP in the rotation right now

Watch them trade Suarez for a 30+ year old infielder only for him to put up an ERA a full point better than Anderson on another team. 

1 minute ago, mmc said:

For years people want this team to sign a starter to a multi-year deal, Angels finally do and everyone's up in arms.

This will be one of those "Let's wait and see what happens next" moves.

This could either be pretty decent, or something that gives us (AW.com) years of bitching.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Like I implied, how many pitchers suddenly pitch well at age 32 and continue to do so?   That’s the worry.

This guy's pretty much a lock to put up an ERA in the mid to high 4's going forward. Every trend line and peripheral point in that direction and we've already been fooled with Tepera and Loup (and Lorenzen to an extent). 

6 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Brutal signing. This organization still has no idea how to evaluate free agent talent at the major league level. 

I guess the dodgers dont either since they were willing to give him the QO in the first place. They must have thought he could give somewhat similar production again in 2023 for them. How you can call a 3 year 39 million dollar deal as brutal is rather much. Its a signing that doesnt deserve much attention at the end of the day, maybe in hindsight it will deserve such attention. 

4 minutes ago, James said:

I guess the dodgers dont either since they were willing to give him the QO in the first place. They must have thought he could give somewhat similar production again in 2023 for them. How you can call a 3 year 39 million dollar deal as brutal is rather much. Its a signing that doesnt deserve much attention at the end of the day, maybe in hindsight it will deserve such attention. 

I don't think this says much since he'd pitch a full point better with the Dodgers than with any other team in the league (except maybe the Rays). And they'll just replace him with some other rando that'll match his numbers next year

2 minutes ago, ScottT said:

20 years ago.  Maybe 10.  I would have hated this.  Every front office has infinite more knowledge now.  Yeah, he'll be 33, but he doesn't have a ton of mileage.  He induced weak contact all year.    How?   Different approact/pitch mix?

What concerns me is how many MLB pitchers nowadays get by with 90/91 velocity, and lower GB/K rates?

Halos better have good OF defense when he pitches. 

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 minutes ago, ScottT said:

20 years ago.  Maybe 10.  I would have hated this.  Every front office has infinite more knowledge now.  Yeah, he'll be 33, but he doesn't have a ton of mileage.  He induced weak contact all year.    How?   Different approact/pitch mix?

Only thing encouraging me is that if I’m remembering, he has a pretty great changeup and the Angels really got a lot out of Suarez and Sandoval’s changeups this last year.

But also risks redundancy…