• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Tyler Anderson (3 years, $39 million)

mmc

I'm extremely skeptical. With the outlaw of the shift, pitch to contact guys are now operating at a greater disadvantage. 

We gave up our second round pick for the second consecutive season, for what appears to me as a Joel Pineiro signing. 

Edited by Second Base

I actually like this deal! 13 mil over 3 year. Yeah he's coming off a 1 year wonder, but that could real. His change is filithy! his windup is wierd and effects the timing o fthe hitters. Do not forget he spend most of his career in Colorado, a nightmare for pitchers and he had solid career there. I think even if he regresses your getting a guy that can go 30 starts, and eat innings. 

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm extremely sceptical. With the outlaw of the shift, pitch to contact guys are now operating at a greater disadvantage. 

We gave up our second round pick for the second consecutive season, for what appears to me as a Joel Pineiro signing. 

Same. Him being a ground ball pitcher and the shift ban... 

Not really concerned about the 2nd round pick though

I think someone already said this, but I'm thinking Jose Suarez is on his way out. The reason.... He's found his success working at a much slower pace and with the pitch clock coming.... I don't think the Angels are convinced he's going to be effective at an accelerated pace. He gets overwhelmed. 

Also, lots of lefties. 

Edited by Second Base

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm extremely skeptical. With the outlaw of the shift, pitch to contact guys are now operating at a greater disadvantage. 

This was my concern as well. If we shore up infield defense, this could turn out to be a sneakily shrewd signing (especially at $39m overall). If not, then it's only $39 mil.

Put me in the 🤷‍♂️ camp...

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think someone already said this, but I'm thinking Jose Suarez is on his way out. The reason.... He's found his success working at a much slower pace and with the pitch clock coming.... I don't think the Angels are convinced he's going to be effective at an accelerated pace. He gets overwhelmed. 

Also, lots of lefties. 

Suarez seemed pretty solid his first time through the order. He'd probably outperform Loup in that role, but Loup isn't going anywhere it seems. 

1 minute ago, Mark68 said:

This was my concern as well. If we shore up infield defense, this could turn out to be a sneakily shrewd signing (especially at $39m overall). If not, then it's only $39 mil.

Put me in the 🤷‍♂️ camp...

It's annoying because it's one of those straddle the fence type of moves where you're not committing to top end talent and if the guy sucks you're stuck trying playing him for 2 extra years or finding a way to get rid of him (exactly like Cozart)

I'll trust doc's insight on this.

On 11/11/2022 at 1:15 AM, Docwaukee said:

If there's one pitcher that I don't want any part of, it's Tyler Anderson

Let me count the ways

1. Qual offer
2. He's entering his age 33 season
3. He's probably going to require a contract in the 3/60 range 
4. He had a career year at age 32.  His WHIP was 20% lower than in any other season he's pitched.  His HR rate was almost half of his career avg prior to this year.  His BABIP was .256 and his career avg. is .287.  
5. His avg fastball velo is around 90 and he doesn't miss bats.  
6.  If there were a team that had a chance to optimize him, he was already on it.  

There's more but that's enough.  It is so much more likely that he's at best a mediocre innings eater for his next deal than being anything even remotely close to what he was this year I can't even believe it.  Let someone else take the chance that he's reinvented himself and will somehow buck all trends pointing to a huge regression.  Even if he has, he's still in line for a pretty significant regression.  And there is a very real chance of him not even getting through his age 33-35yo season as part of a major league rotation.   

He is basically the Zach Cozart of pitchers in my opinion.  

8 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I don't know if it will or won't, but for whatever weird reason Cozart popped into my head when I saw this, too.

3/39 is unique contract, it's like a Halos special. It's the type of contract that just screams mediocrity. Don't pay an extra 7 million per season for $20 million AAV to get a pitcher who is actually good. Instead just give a mediocre 13 million to some middle of the pack pitcher and say you tried.