• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Tyler Anderson (3 years, $39 million)

mmc

1 hour ago, ScottT said:

20 years ago.  Maybe 10.  I would have hated this.  Every front office has infinite more knowledge now.  Yeah, he'll be 33, but he doesn't have a ton of mileage.  He induced weak contact all year.    How?   Different approact/pitch mix?

I was wondering the same. What did the Dodgers do to make Anderson flip the switch? Was it delivery? Arm angle? 

35 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yes, but it's worth noting that neither guy relies on their velocity to succeed -- in fact, both came into their own by mastering their change-ups.  The change-up isn't sexy, but it's a vastly underrated pitch.

It is, but wouldn’t the less velocity difference between the 4 seamer and the changeup ultimately catch up to Anderson?

12 minutes ago, HanfordGuy said:

I was wondering the same. What did the Dodgers do to make Anderson flip the switch? Was it delivery? Arm angle? 

https://dodgersnation.com/dodgers-small-fix-with-his-grip-has-changed-tyler-andersons-season/2022/06/03/#:~:text=Since signing a one-year deal with the Dodgers%2C,some of the softest contact in the league.

Adjusted his grip on the changeup and started throwing it more.

2 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

This guy's pretty much a lock to put up an ERA in the mid to high 4's going forward. Every trend line and peripheral point in that direction and we've already been fooled with Tepera and Loup (and Lorenzen to an extent). 

Who's been fooled? I wanted Anderson when he was a Free Agent when he left the Rockies! 

1.775M > 13M...

Meh, lost a pick and International Dinero... (see what I did there)?... But, it makes sense if you're a LAME DUCK owner who WANTS to drum up a Buyer and you want a win on the way out the door....

2 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

This guy's pretty much a lock to put up an ERA in the mid to high 4's going forward. Every trend line and peripheral point in that direction and we've already been fooled with Tepera and Loup (and Lorenzen to an extent). 

For how much relievers have been signing for this off season... Tepera and Loup might be looked at as good value now

Rafael Montero - Astro's 3 years $34 million

Robert Suarez - Padres 5 years $46 million

Edwin Diaz - Mets 5 years $102 million

Diaz is the only true closer of the bunch... hence the expected high figure but the other two (expecially Montero because his stats were garbage before this year) seem a bit high for my taste

Edited by StandOutRealty

3 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I know Perry said he can spend normally but if they Angels signed others (maybe better player) to bigger deals does that maybe indicate that the sell of the team is imminent and that the new owner/group is saying go for it?

Aren't multi-year deals putting the financials owed on the new owner?

How well has spending "normally" worked out? They need to spend "more than normally". Or at least "different from normally".

This is a promising signing to me in that I assumed we would give out just one year contracts as we were transitioning ownership.  

Anderson should be a solid addition and is a "raise the floor" kind of move.  I don't really see this as a precursor to a trade involving Suarez or another SP.  Rather, I think that teams just can't ever truly have enough pitching, and this helps further solidify the rotation.

Ohtani, Anderson, Sandoval, Suarez, and Detmers should form a strong core.  We will use a 6th man, but it's generally preferable to have that 6th starter have option flexibility, which we'll likely see.

The rotation is basically set now.  Whatever remaining money we have available, I imagine, will go towards shoring up the various weaknesses on our offense.

Anderson probably won't pitch as well as he did last year, but he's essentially been a 2 fWAR pitcher for 3 years now (2020, if he had the opportunity to pitch a full season).  As long as he can continue doing that, he will be an asset to our team.

Like others have said, if he pitches to a low 4 era over three years, it's sound value.

I'm not a fan, though, of losing international $ and a 2nd round pick for a 32 year old.  

What I don't understand is why the Dodgers didn't sign him for 3/39.  If they were sold that he could come close to repeating his performance, I would think they would have done it.  What am I missing?

Just now, Wisconsin27 said:

Like others have said, if he pitches to a low 4 era over three years, it's sound value.

I'm not a fan, though, of losing international $ and a 2nd round pick for a 32 year old.  

What I don't understand is why the Dodgers didn't sign him for 3/39.  If they were sold that he could come close to repeating his performance, I would think they would have done it.  What am I missing?

He will be 33 in December

6 minutes ago, Wisconsin27 said:

I'm guessing the Dodgers figured he would accept the QO.  That's half the amount of guaranteed amount of money.  They seem to avoid multi-year deals for SPs for the most part.  The only recent one they have made has ended up very, very poorly, lol, although it appears they were able to wiggle out of it financially.

I have no idea why the freak out. $13 million a year is the 33rd highest salary CURRENTLY. That's without any FA signings--deGrom, Bassit, Manaea, Verlander, Rodon...

This is a floor raiser. Plain and simple. These are the kind of moves they need to build a top rotation. Anderson becomes your 3/4 guy, not your #2. They aren't paying him like a #2. And temper your expectations. At 13 mil, you hope for high 3/low 4 ERAs. And you know you're getting 140+ innings. How do we think this doesn't help the team? I don't understand that. It's 3 years, yes, but he's a changeup heavy low velo pitcher. It's not like we're worried about him regaining velocity. 

Finally, the Dodgers were willing to bring him back at 19. Sure, they maybe thought he'd decline for a multi-year deal. But they were willing to. And they didn't do anything major, just helped with his grip and pitch mix. He will take some stuff away from there. Solid move. Not great, but solid. And there's not a chance this is it. 

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

It is, but wouldn’t the less velocity difference between the 4 seamer and the changeup ultimately catch up to Anderson?

It really just depends on how well he masks it.  Velocity always matters and its why he can't really generate outs by himself, but a bad changeup is bad because the pitchers arm speed/motion gives it away more than the actual speed of the pitch.

Mike Mussina was great in part because he  would throw four different pitches from exactly the same arm slot/motion.