• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

23 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I did too, but when I heard some rumors of us interested in bringing back Lorenzen and being interested in Lugo as a SP/RP, I got the impression that this team is probably looking for a 6th SP that is more of a SP/RP option.  I would have liked Senga, but if the team only has so much money left to spend, the offense (and SS) has to be the priority at this point.

SP hierarchy, as of now:  Ohtani, Sandoval, Anderson, Detmers, Suarez, ______.  In AAA:  Silseth, Canning, Bush, CRod (?), Daniel, Rosenthal.

I think if we simply add someone a la Lorenzen or Lugo, both of whom should be very reasonably priced, I think that's great SP depth.  As highlighted in other comments too, there are a ton of great SPs that will be available in free agency in the next 2 years too, so we don't necessarily have to do anything at this time.

https://www.mlb.com/news/baseball-s-next-free-agent-classes - there are many, many really good options here, so if the next ownership group wants to spend on pitching, they will have a ton of options.

Good points here. SP isn’t necessarily the biggest need at this point. SS and BP should be the focus.  That 2023 SP class definitely has big names.  I do think Lorenzen could have a better season upcoming after going through his first season as a starter.  I think he’s a good clubhouse guy and he’s a competitor. I think a contract similar to Heaney should get Lorenzen. Maybe just under that.  

Just now, jordan said:

Good points here. SP isn’t necessarily the biggest need at this point. SS and BP should be the focus.  That 2023 SP class definitely has big names.  I do think Lorenzen could have a better season upcoming after going through his first season as a starter.  I think he’s a good clubhouse guy and he’s a competitor. I think a contract similar to Heaney should get Lorenzen. Maybe just under that.  

Yeah.  Just to kind of expand some possibilities - this team has Sandoval, Anderson, Detmers, Suarez for at least the next 3 years.  Granted, injuries, effectiveness, etc etc, but assuming we have those 4, and assuming that at least one of our young pitchers pans out (Silseth, Bush, Bachman), our rotation is pretty solid.  Of course, we hope Ohtani will re-sign here, and if he does, our rotation actually looks to be relatively set for years.  

That said, the new owner could come in and, conceivably, re-sign Ohtani AND sign one of the upcoming star pitchers if they wanted to make a huge splash.

So all things considered, I think I'm fine with them eschewing signing another SP this offseason, or just signing a SP/RP option like the ones we've discussed.  I do think offense, though, needs more work, given our current group and the lack of impact FA talent next year.

3 hours ago, jordan said:

Concur, except that because Lorenzen loves it here, they could probably do another 1 year deal for say $8-9 million?

5 hours ago, Warfarin said:

This is the actual Tweet.  Per others, within it it says that the three finalists are Mets, Cubs, Padres.  

Mets would seem to be the favorite because they have no financial limits of any kind, but the Padres wouldn't surprise me either - they need pitching.

I put the text from the link into Google Translate, and I didn’t see anything about three finalists or him picking a team.

Maybe I missed something?