• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

54 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Kind of a double edged sword for the halos with Adell right now.  He's shown that he can succeed in the minors and clearly that hasn't translated to the majors.  If they want to trade him, he needs to show some progress at the major league level but the Angels can't rally take the chance of giving him a spot and letting him fail again.  His best spot to help the Angels is in the minors which doesn't help his trade value at all at this point.  

Almost makes one think they should’ve traded him a few years back when he had value…

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Almost makes one think they should’ve traded him a few years back when he had value…

Who says they didn't try? His shortcomings were known pretty early on into his minor league career. It could be that the Angels couldn't find an offer that made sense considering he still had a high ceiling.

2 minutes ago, mmc said:

1 minute ago, Warfarin said:

Ah, bummer.  Was thinking maybe this would have paved the pathway to us acquiring D'Arnaud, but given Contreras is being shipped out, I guess not.

Waiting to see who else is involved, but this doesn't make a ton of sense for the Braves, at least to me.  Maybe they'll sign Murphy to another below-market-rate extension.  Ha.  But to give up Contreras plus presumably some bigger prospects (though maybe those are coming from the Brewers??) for Murphy still seems strange. 

15 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Waiting to see who else is involved, but this doesn't make a ton of sense for the Braves, at least to me.  Maybe they'll sign Murphy to another below-market-rate extension.  Ha.  But to give up Contreras plus presumably some bigger prospects (though maybe those are coming from the Brewers??) for Murphy still seems strange. 

I think Murphy is considered a pretty strong defensive catcher, right?  Superior to Contreras?

5 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think Murphy is considered a pretty strong defensive catcher, right?  Superior to Contreras?

Sure, I'm not debating that.  But they already have d'Arnaud, too.  Just doesn't really seem like a position that they needed to upgrade.

Edited by jsnpritchett

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Sure, I'm not debating that.  But they already have d'Arnaud, too.  Just doesn't really seem like a position that really needed to upgrade.

The Braves, if you look at their drafting and acquisition history, seem to place an enormous amount of emphasis on catching.  It is why I think Minasian is perpetually trying to upgrade as well - same school of thought. He flipped Marsh for O’Hoppe and attempted to sign both McCann and Contreras.  I would not be surprised to see him acquire a catcher this off-season.