• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2022-23 Offseason Hot Stove Thread

mmc

30 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I've said for a while that they should go all in on a shortstop. It makes way too much sense for the Angels current situation. But you have to be willing to spend money, and I doubt they go quite that high, plus there's other teams in need of a shortstop, so I don't see it happening. 

My guess is they'll either go cheap on a middle infielder free agent or surprise us with an off the radar trade. I'll be surprised if they stand pat. So far, Minasian has done pretty well with floor-raising depth moves. We have potentially high end players, so what we've needed for a while is to be slightly less top heavy and he's mostly accomplished that to the degree the budget allowed. 

i agree. i'd be very surprised if they stood pat on SS.

40 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i think the angels are going to miss out on the big SS. the bogarts deal probably has a big impact on some of the angels behind the scenes mechanations. i just don't see us landing correa or swanson anymore. i do think it's likely they make a trade for a SS now, but i think what i said above affects that too. i think we make a trade that stings a bit to read for our return.

i said in another thread, if the above is remotely true, that i'd like to see wil myers brought in, or lesser brian anderson or edwin rios.

Brian Anderson was mentioned in another thread, and I think he's a pretty solid fit - 3B/RF, so that'd help provide further insurance for Rendon and also provide OF coverage.

Rios is an interesting idea, but from what I recall, he's pretty poor at 3B and is mainly just a 1B/DH option.  I think his lack of versatility probably doesn't make him an ideal fit for our team, unless Walsh is not actually healthy.

5 hours ago, mmc said:

Seems steep for a guy like Manaea

Giants seem to be pretty good at finding undervalued players and making them better.  On the surface I agree, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him pitch more like he did with the A's than the Padres.

Just seeing all these contracts though, Minasian did an outstanding job of securing Anderson for 3/40, before the market took off.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Giants seem to be pretty good at finding undervalued players and making them better.  On the surface I agree, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him pitch more like he did with the A's than the Padres.

Just seeing all these contracts though, Minasian did an outstanding job of securing Anderson for 3/40, before the market took off.

Manaea has opt out after 2023 so good deal for him. SF a pitchers park. Giants may still with ton of money go after Correa

9 hours ago, N-From-OC said:

Saw on Trade Rumors the Reds could be shopping shortstop prospects for Outfield prospects, something I think we have a plethora of. Maybe there’s a match there?

I think OF is probably our greatest organizational weakness in terms of minor league talent.  What OFers are you thinking of?

14 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I think OF is probably our greatest organizational weakness in terms of minor league talent.  What OFers are you thinking of?

If this was 2-3 years ago then it'd be a perfect match. 
We severely lack top-end OF minor league talent. 

But boy do the Red have some fun SS options I'd take Marte in a heartbeat.

35 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Obviously the Mets are going to make a huge run at Ohtani if he hits the Market next year. Most teams will; does having Eppler give them any sort of advantage? 

Hopefully the new potential owners are all pushing Arte to sign him long term damn it. 

I don’t think Eppler gives them an advantage, but I think having an owner with unlimited financial resources and a strong desire to sign everyone probably is what gives them an advantage.

I do think he may opt to stay on the west coast though, if his interests remain the same as before.  There are a number of competitive teams on the west coast that will offer him a boatload of money too.

44 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

They will not trade any of those prized SSs for Adell.  He is basically a non prospect at this point.

Kind of a double edged sword for the halos with Adell right now.  He's shown that he can succeed in the minors and clearly that hasn't translated to the majors.  If they want to trade him, he needs to show some progress at the major league level but the Angels can't rally take the chance of giving him a spot and letting him fail again.  His best spot to help the Angels is in the minors which doesn't help his trade value at all at this point.  

11 hours ago, N-From-OC said:

Saw on Trade Rumors the Reds could be shopping shortstop prospects for Outfield prospects, something I think we have a plethora of. Maybe there’s a match there?

Not really.

The Reds top SS prospects are all in AA/A+, so they aren’t MLB ready and the Angels don’t have an outfielder in AA/A+ that is comparable in prospect status.

Only thing I could see is like Barrero for Moniak or Adell, which doesn’t move the needle for the Angels.

9 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Kind of a double edged sword for the halos with Adell right now.  He's shown that he can succeed in the minors and clearly that hasn't translated to the majors.  If they want to trade him, he needs to show some progress at the major league level but the Angels can't rally take the chance of giving him a spot and letting him fail again.  His best spot to help the Angels is in the minors which doesn't help his trade value at all at this point.  

That’s the thing though - I think he can indeed improve his MILB stats.  If I am the Angels or an interested team, I would look for a significant rise in BB% and decline in K%.  Can he consistently hover over 10% for his BB%?  Can he cut his K% below 25?   Those would be signs of an improved strike zone judgment and/or bat control, which are the things he needs the most improvement on.

He has clearly shown he can mash mistake pitches and hit homers, which is great, but what makes or breaks most hitters these days is strong strike zone judgment.  He has not yet shown that at the AAA level, and that would be the area I would focus on for signs that he is maturing as a hitter.

9 hours ago, mmc said:

Seems steep for a guy like Manaea

I hate those contracts where a player gets an opt-out after 1 year, from a team’s perspective.

If the player is good, he’ll opt-out and you get no benefit of the second year. If he’s bad, you’re stuck paying him.

It’s great from a player’s standpoint, but I don’t get how teams keep on caving into Boras (who signs these deals with Rodón, now Manaea, and probably Conforto/Gallo) and signing players to deals like this.

Edited by Trendon

29 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I hate those contracts where a player gets an opt-out after 1 year, from a team’s perspective.

If the player is good, he’ll opt-out and you get no benefit of the second year. If he’s bad, you’re stuck paying him.

It’s great from a player’s standpoint, but I don’t get how teams keep on caving into Boras (who signs these deals with Rodón, now Manaea, and probably Conforto/Gallo) and signing players to deals like this.

Not bad deal for Giants as they try and fill in rotation. Now they go after Rodon and if they sign him for 6 or 7 years for 150 to 180, I hate those deals.

40 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I'm not down on Adell as many are, he is only 23.