• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

4 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

What happens if Paris, Bachman, Neto, or Joyce come into next springs camp, and own it?  Do the Angels take them to the show, and let them bypass AAA?  

If any of our top pro spects are ready, I would find a spot for them on the ML roster.  I am getting a little tired of watching other teams play in late October. 

Spring games are a false indicator so says Jose Rojas

54 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I could see Joyce making the team as a reliever. Bachman is a big maybe but only as a reliever (this would be a mistake IMO).

I don't think there's any chance Neto or Paris make the team.

I think that it would depend on what we do in the offseason.  Neto showed very well in AA, in a small sample size.  But, he has experience equivalent to the lower minors through his college ball days.  

The fact that Neto finished strong in AA may indicate where the Angels may allocate their payroll resources in the offseason, possibly OF, 1B, or SP, rather than a big ticket SS. 

On 10/27/2022 at 6:38 PM, tdawg87 said:

I could see Joyce making the team as a reliever. Bachman is a big maybe but only as a reliever (this would be a mistake IMO).

I don't think there's any chance Neto or Paris make the team.

The only one of those four who might make the big league team out of spring is Joyce. Bachman really needs more time in the minors - to hopefully re-establish his velocity and just build up a track record of health. I see him back in AA, Neto and Paris too. Joyce is a guy we'll almost certainly see in 2023, though I think he's most likely to start the season in the minors.

On 10/27/2022 at 7:36 PM, AngelStew43 said:

I think that it would depend on what we do in the offseason.  Neto showed very well in AA, in a small sample size.  But, he has experience equivalent to the lower minors through his college ball days.  

The fact that Neto finished strong in AA may indicate where the Angels may allocate their payroll resources in the offseason, possibly OF, 1B, or SP, rather than a big ticket SS. 

I still wouldn't write off a big SS free agent as a possibility (if the Angels spend, that is). What the Angels most need to do is replace lesser performance slots in the lineup with higher performance players. That would be LF, 1B, MI, and C. O'Hoppe is more likely to make an impact in 2023 than Neto, imo, and I think with Quero a few years away, they're probably happy with solving C short and long-term in-house (aside from plug-in journeyman types).

If Moreno wasn't selling, I could see him going hard after Judge, but due to the uncertainty about future ownership, I don't see the Angels being competitive in trying to sign him, and will probably grab one of the solid guys for the OF, with Conforto being the name that makes the most sense (and therefore probably won't happen). But they could conceivably go after one of the big name shortstops, especially if one or two of them is still around later into the offseason.

Fletcher, Rengifo, and Soto all performed well--or well enough--in the second half to feel more confident (if not truly confident) about the middle infield going into 2023, even without adding anyone. But none of them are irreplaceable, and all slot nicely into bench roles. Meaning, there's room for improvement there, and as far as the long-term goes, none are guys that simply "have to" remain in the starting lineup, so if the Angels went after one of Correa, Turner, Bogaerts, or Swanson, I could see a Fletcher/Rengifo platoon for 2023, then Neto coming up in 2024 (or late 2023) and pushing those two to the bench (or traded).

Meaning, Correa et al don't block Neto as much as they would A) Push Fletcher/Rengifo to bench roles, at least after Neto comes up, and B) Leave guys like Paris and Jackson without easy paths to major league starting roles. As to the latter, while I still especially like Paris, and Jackson still has upside, neither are "can't miss prospects" that impact major league roster construction all that much. If one or both put it all together and are knocking at the door for major league jobs in a year or two, it is a nice problem to have.

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

The only one of those four who might make the big league team out of spring is Joyce. Bachman really needs more time in the minors - to hopefully re-establish his velocity and just build up a track record of health. I see him back in AA, Neto and Paris too. Joyce is a guy we'll almost certainly see in 2023, though I think he's most likely to start the season in the minors.

I still wouldn't write off a big SS free agent as a possibility (if the Angels spend, that is). What the Angels most need to do is replace lesser performance slots in the lineup with higher performance players. That would be LF, 1B, MI, and C. O'Hoppe is more likely to make an impact in 2023 than Neto, imo, and I think with Quero a few years away, they're probably happy with solving C short and long-term in-house (aside from plug-in journeyman types).

If Moreno wasn't selling, I could see him going hard after Judge, but due to the uncertainty about future ownership, I don't see the Angels being competitive in trying to sign him, and will probably grab one of the solid guys for the OF, with Conforto being the name that makes the most sense (and therefore probably won't happen). But they could conceivably go after one of the big name shortstops, especially if one or two of them is still around later into the offseason.

Fletcher, Rengifo, and Soto all performed well--or well enough--in the second half to feel more confident (if not truly confident) about the middle infield going into 2023, even without adding anyone. But none of them are irreplaceable, and all slot nicely into bench roles. Meaning, there's room for improvement there, and as far as the long-term goes, none are guys that simply "have to" remain in the starting lineup, so if the Angels went after one of Correa, Turner, Bogaerts, or Swanson, I could see a Fletcher/Rengifo platoon for 2023, then Neto coming up in 2024 (or late 2023) and pushing those two to the bench (or traded).

Meaning, Correa et al don't block Neto as much as they would A) Push Fletcher/Rengifo to bench roles, at least after Neto comes up, and B) Leave guys like Paris and Jackson without easy paths to major league starting roles. As to the latter, while I still especially like Paris, and Jackson still has upside, neither are "can't miss prospects" that impact major league roster construction all that much. If one or both put it all together and are knocking at the door for major league jobs in a year or two, it is a nice problem to have.

Do we really want to bring in yet another big money player from outside the org?

That worked so well the past decade (Pujols, Hamilton, Upton, and maybe Rendon if not staying healthy).

Focus on next level signing for LF (Benetendi, Conforto, etc.), a veteran closer (just not similar deal to Iglesias’ contract), and a RHH utility guy who can platoon at 1B and play other positions.

Re-sign Lorenzen and let CRod (if healthy), Bush, and Silseth vie for the 6th starter spot.

Focus the big money ultimately on Ohtani.

Edited by Angel Oracle

16 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Do we really want to bring in yet another big money player from outside the org?

That worked so well the past decade (Pujols, Hamilton, Upton, and maybe Rendon if not staying healthy).

Focus on next level signing for LF (Benetendi, Conforto, etc.), a veteran closer (just not similar deal to Iglesias’ contract), and a RHH utility guy who can platoon at 1B and play other positions.

Re-sign Lorenzen and let CRod (if healthy), Bush, and Silseth vie for the 6th starter spot.

Focus the big money ultimately on Ohtani.

Do I? No, not really. But would I be bummed if they signed one of those guys for 2023 and beyond? My response would probably be: "This may not end well, and I certainly hope it doesn't get in the way of extending Ohtani, but this just improved our chances over the next few years." Of the four I mentioned, I think Correa is the best bet for long-term success, but Turner would have the most immediate impact. 

But I agree with the rest. I think Benintendi will get a biggish multi-year contract that will end up being a Hosmerian over-pay, but Conforto is exactly the type of guy they should target.

We would enhance an area of strength by adding someone better than Fletch for SS.  No question.  On the other hand, Soto looks like he could be good.  We still have control of Velazquez, who may do better as a right handed only hitter.  Plenty of high upside middle infielders coming in the next few years.

like others I’d say any improvement is appreciated but as far as spending goes let’s do LF, maybe a SP and a bullpen arm.

30 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Isn't tomorrow when the 40 man rosters have to be set?  If so, 5 spots need to be opened because of the guys on the IL.

They already cleared 5 spots when 4 players became free agents and they outrighted Wallach.

3 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

according to FG, the roster is at 40 with Zastryznysyzyzyxy, Rosenberg, Diaz, Toussaint, and Weiss on there.  

Maybe they protect Jackson?  

Probably Kolt Ingram.  

but that's really about it.  

I’m not sure they’ll bother with protecting anyone.

Edited by Trendon

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I’m not sure they’ll bother with protecting anyone.

I think they'll protect Ingram.  He's pretty much guaranteed to see the bigs this year and Minasian just talked about developing pen pieces.  

I almost considered putting Pina on the protect list but no one seems to see much in him but me.  

I do think they'll clear a couple of roster spots as I think they'll take at least one pen arm.  

21 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I think they'll protect Ingram.  He's pretty much guaranteed to see the bigs this year and Minasian just talked about developing pen pieces.  

I almost considered putting Pina on the protect list but no one seems to see much in him but me.  

I do think they'll clear a couple of roster spots as I think they'll take at least one pen arm.  

I think it’s more likely they pick someone in the Rule 5 than they add someone to protect them.

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Wouldn’t someone look at Adams as a 4th OF?     Maybe it is a bit of a long shot?

Doubt it, since he hasn’t proven he can hit.

There will surely be better 4th OF options available for teams in the Rule 5 draft.