• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

7 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

This is a cool read, but I think what this also shows is this organization needs a talent infusion in the OF as it prepares for future years.  

to me that infusion comes from drafting and signing guys that can just flat out hit or develop into such.  

If you go back some years and look at the draft, there was very little focus on that.  Where the picks weren't really just about the bat if at all.  

Going through some of our top picks since the start of the Eppler era.  

2016 - Thaiss is one that stands out as being mostly about his bat.  Even Marsh, who's bat was expected to do great things, was a toolsy developmental guy.  Montgomery, Zimmerman etc were possible candidate for the above but still more toolsy than straight bat.  

2017 - Adell, again, similar to Marsh.  High risk, high potential reward.  Pearson another project.  Todd was a no power defense first guy.  

2018 - Adams and Jackson tools.   Holmes a project.  And then you're into the teens before another position player pops up.  

2019 - Wilson kinda fit the bill but that was a wasted pick.  Paris was another guy in need of lots of development.  Then it was all pitchers for any part of the draft that could be considered meaningful.  

2020 - two projects 

2021 - all pitchers.  

2022 - so maybe the first year in a long time where you could argue that the position player selection were mostly about the bat.  Neto, DiChiara, Phillips, Stewart, Coutney, Flint.  

It's certainly obvious as to why our stock of position players has dropped off.  Not only did we just not draft very many, but the ones we did were generally the high risk flame out types.  There has to be a happy medium somewhere between Dipoto and Eppler.  

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we hear (and sometimes mock) things like the 'cardinal way'.  I think what they do is preferentially go after guys that fit well into their system of development.  We haven't had much of one until recently so the drafts were to try and pick the most talented player and hope you can figure out how to unlock them.  Lock and key analogy.  Previously it was to select any guy with any lock and hope you could find a key that fits.  Vs. picking a guy with a typical kind of lock where you know one of your several most readily available keys is most likely to fit.  

I think the latter is how the Dogs, Cards, and Astros function more often than not.  My guess is also that they've accumulated a much larger collection of keys to choose from.  

18 hours ago, Second Base said:

Given our recent developmental history, if we traded Adell away he'd immediately become a stud all-star. 

Trying to be funny, but there is a small degree of truth to it. Marsh didn't look nearly as lost with the Phillies. They tweaked his swing and he immediately became productive. I doubt it's sustainable because of the K/BB ratio, but it appears he's going to be a valuable player nonetheless. 

My thing with Adell vs Marsh is both could become superstars, both duds, or any combo in between.

That said, at least Marsh can play defense.

Peter Bourjos comes to mind here. Bat fell off the table, but between him and Adell, for example, I'd take Bourjos. At least he could lock down CF. Adell, in the clips I've seen (I don't watch too many games) looks like me doing math out there.

3 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

to me that infusion comes from drafting and signing guys that can just flat out hit or develop into such.  

If you go back some years and look at the draft, there was very little focus on that.  Where the picks weren't really just about the bat if at all.  

Going through some of our top picks since the start of the Eppler era.  

2016 - Thaiss is one that stands out as being mostly about his bat.  Even Marsh, who's bat was expected to do great things, was a toolsy developmental guy.  Montgomery, Zimmerman etc were possible candidate for the above but still more toolsy than straight bat.  

2017 - Adell, again, similar to Marsh.  High risk, high potential reward.  Pearson another project.  Todd was a no power defense first guy.  

2018 - Adams and Jackson tools.   Holmes a project.  And then you're into the teens before another position player pops up.  

2019 - Wilson kinda fit the bill but that was a wasted pick.  Paris was another guy in need of lots of development.  Then it was all pitchers for any part of the draft that could be considered meaningful.  

2020 - two projects 

2021 - all pitchers.  

2022 - so maybe the first year in a long time where you could argue that the position player selection were mostly about the bat.  Neto, DiChiara, Phillips, Stewart, Coutney, Flint.  

It's certainly obvious as to why our stock of position players has dropped off.  Not only did we just not draft very many, but the ones we did were generally the high risk flame out types.  There has to be a happy medium somewhere between Dipoto and Eppler.  

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we hear (and sometimes mock) things like the 'cardinal way'.  I think what they do is preferentially go after guys that fit well into their system of development.  We haven't had much of one until recently so the drafts were to try and pick the most talented player and hope you can figure out how to unlock them.  Lock and key analogy.  Previously it was to select any guy with any lock and hope you could find a key that fits.  Vs. picking a guy with a typical kind of lock where you know one of your several most readily available keys is most likely to fit.  

I think the latter is how the Dogs, Cards, and Astros function more often than not.  My guess is also that they've accumulated a much larger collection of keys to choose from.  

Right.  So I think Eppler prioritized the high risk, high reward types - phenomenal athletes who needed varying degrees of refinement, but if things "clicked," they could be superstars.  Unfortunately, I think to develop those kinds of players well, you have to have an excellent minor league development system, which we just simply didn't have in place.

I do think Minasian's pedigree is an excellent one in terms of player development.  It remains to be seen if he can generate the kind of success as his superiors had in other organizations, but I'm hopeful we can.

You know, I've actually learned something over the past few seasons. Prospects aren't currency. Pitching prospects are currency. 

Teams never have enough pitching, so even fringe pitching prospects still serve as currency. Pitching prospects are what brings in guys like Dylan Bundy who subsequently got CY votes and should've been sold high by the Angels. Pitching prospects are what landed the Angels Hunter Renfroe, which adds 30 more home runs to the lineup. Pitching prospects are what got the Angels the necessary infield depth they so desperately need in Gio Urshela. 

Teams are willing to roll the dice on pitching arms because so many eventually find their niche and can contribute to a major league roster. MLB rotations need to be 10-12 deep and bullpens need to be 15 deep. 

Very rarely, will you see an organization with a great pitching staff not make the playoffs. That's just the way baseball operates. So even if you need a bat, you could always exchange pitching to get it. The Marlins and Angels had been discussing Brandon Marsh for Max Meyer before his injury. 

The Angels just need to keep drafting and developing pitching. That's it. The rest will fall into place if you can do that better than the next guy.

A couple random questions I had that you may or may not know the answer to, @Jeff Fletcher

1. Why hasn’t Jose Marte pitched since 10/24 in the Dominican Winter League? He’s only made 4 appearances. Is he hurt or did they shut him down?

2. Is Oliver Ortega healthy and will he be ready for Spring Training? He ended last season on the IL at AAA.

If you don’t know, maybe it’s something you can ask Perry at the Winter Meetings?

7 hours ago, Trendon said:

A couple random questions I had that you may or may not know the answer to, @Jeff Fletcher

1. Why hasn’t Jose Marte pitched since 10/24 in the Dominican Winter League? He’s only made 4 appearances. Is he hurt or did they shut him down?

Obviously not Jeff, and I don't KNOW why he hasn't pitched but usage like that is extremely common in the DWL.  Teams tend to shuffle players in and out as the season goes.  Its not uncommon to see teams use 30+ pitchers in any one season.  A lot of it is because they try to get as many Dominican MLBs into games as possible so the hometown fans can see their guys live.  

I'd like to see if someone decent falls to the Angels for under 5 million. An "Alex Cobb" type of acquisition where they see something that will work and acquire him.

That way Silseth can remain in the minor leagues as depth, and Canning can too, or even transition to a bullpen role. 

But if the Angels don't acquire anyone, I'd still go with Chris Rodriguez before Silseth or Canning. 

1 hour ago, Docwaukee said:

Silseth has more upside to that of Canning imo.  That of a front line guy.  I think he'll end up at least a two.  

I totally agree! 

Canning has always looked like he could be a good #3, but at worst a solid back of the rotation starter. 

Silseth has better fastball velo and more swing and miss in his repertoire. 

13 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Even before Canning was drafted, he was considered a health risk. And he has lived up to that. 

IIRC, that was part of the reason he fell in the draft - concerns over health.  He bucked the odds and had a nice start, but here we are now.

I think our pitching depth is really good compared to where it once was, but there are a lot of question marks in terms of some of our depth options.  I would not really count on either Canning or CRod at all, and anything we get out of them is a bonus, IMO.