• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

8 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Is it possible they merely just asked him to see if he could go get outs with 90?  Or maybe it was some sort of 2 seamer or cutter and wanted him to throw it as much as possible.  

Could this have been some sort of development technique to build arm strength or for some other reason?

Not sure, but this quote was also in the article:

“Obviously he didn’t have the year he’d hoped he’d have,” Minasian said. “I’m happy he’s healthy. … He’s young. I know there’s expectations with some of these other guys that have shot up. I think he’s got to prove that he’s healthy. I’m excited about his offseason.”

5 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Not sure, but this quote was also in the article:

“Obviously he didn’t have the year he’d hoped he’d have,” Minasian said. “I’m happy he’s healthy. … He’s young. I know there’s expectations with some of these other guys that have shot up. I think he’s got to prove that he’s healthy. I’m excited about his offseason.”

so he wasn't healthy.  And made 5 starts while he wasn't?  I just don't get it.  

17 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

that's why I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.  Why would they do that?  Or I should ask, what type of injury would allow for that?  Especially for a prospect who a year from having been drafted.  

I got nothing 

2 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

that's why I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around it.  Why would they do that?  Or I should ask, what type of injury would allow for that?  Especially for a prospect who a year from having been drafted.  

Maybe they're just handling him with kid gloves, saying "We want to get your arm warmed up and used to throwing pitches in live games, but not at full velocity yet. The key is just to stay in the game and throw the baseball."

Meaning, sort of like someone coming back from a leg injury: You start by walking, not running.

(Not saying this is true or the best approach, but just speculating on what their logic might be)

12 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Maybe they're just handling him with kid gloves, saying "We want to get your arm warmed up and used to throwing pitches in live games, but not at full velocity yet. The key is just to stay in the game and throw the baseball."

Meaning, sort of like someone coming back from a leg injury: You start by walking, not running.

(Not saying this is true or the best approach, but just speculating on what their logic might be)

Maybe.  But I've never seen or heard of a team doing that with any other pitcher.  

2 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Maybe.  But I've never seen or heard of a team doing that with any other pitcher.  

I remember the Angels limiting K-Rod to three sliders per outing when he was a SP still.  In 2021, they limited Koch to all straight pitches.  But I have never in my history of being a fan heard of a team asking a guy to go pitch, but don't try to throw hard at all.  The theory doesn't hold water for me simply because if you watched him pitch, he was seemingly making a lot of high effort deliveries and showing absolutely nothing -- well, nothing other than the usual bad command that comes with overthrowing.

^Well that would imply one of three possibilities (that I can think of):

1. He was pitching hurt, and is favoring his injury and/or his torque is limited because of it. If so, Angels Management Verdict (AMV): Dumb.

2. His mechanics are off and he isn't getting his usual torque and/or leg strength. If so, AMV: Meh. 

3. His arm went all latter-day Jered "Gumby" Weaver. I remember @Second Base explaining how once you lose velo, it can be impossible to get back - because strength training doesn't address tendons becoming more elastic, like a rubber band getting worn out. I don't see how that could be the case with Bachman, given his age and relatively little experience, but you never know. If so, AMV: Shit luck (and stupid drafting).

I think we have to hope that it is 2, but 1 is at least workable. If it is 3, then he's done - or at least won't be anything more than a scrap-heap reliever.

3 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

^Well that would imply one of three possibilities (that I can think of):

1. He was pitching hurt, and is favoring his injury and/or his torque is limited because of it. If so, Angels Management Verdict (AMV): Dumb.

2. His mechanics are off and he isn't getting his usual torque and/or leg strength. If so, AMV: Meh. 

3. His arm went all latter-day Jered "Gumby" Weaver. I remember @Second Base explaining how once you lose velo, it can be impossible to get back - because strength training doesn't address tendons becoming more elastic, like a rubber band getting worn out. I don't see how that could be the case with Bachman, given his age and relatively little experience, but you never know. If so, AMV: Shit luck (and stupid drafting).

I think we have to hope that it is 2, but 1 is at least workable. If it is 3, then he's done - or at least won't be anything more than a scrap-heap reliever.

If it's simply a case of lost velocity due to wear and tear, there's nothing outside of surgery and growth hormones that can strengthen tendons, increase muscle mass, maintain quick twitch or increase the necessary bone density to act as a scaffold for all of it. 

Believe it out not, such wear and tear can set in much younger than you'd think. While it's normal around age 32, it's not completely uncommon to see it around 26 or 27. Bachman isn't in either of those groups, but with that round baseball from childhood being a thing now, it wouldn't surprise me. 

My guess is that Bachman was never throwing 102 as had been reported. It was probably a hot gun and he probably tops out right around 99-100 and he'll regularly sit 94-97. His decrease in velocity almost certainly is not injury related. The Angels aren't that stupid and reckless. I think I would chalk this up to simply being dead arm (he hardly pitched this year) and his mechanics being off after recovering from back injury. 

I think Bachman is still the same guy they drafted. More than likely, a late inning forever, but some chance as an upside starter. 

Fangraphs updated their top 100 a couple days ago. O'Hoppe at #60, Neto at #67. Both still 50 FV. They also still have Quero at 40+. Weird.

Meanwhile, Andrew Painter--who some thought the Angels would draft in 2021--has risen to a 60 FV after a dominant season at A/A+/AA. Too bad they drafted Bachman instead of him.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Fangraphs updated their top 100 a couple days ago. O'Hoppe at #60, Neto at #67. Both still 50 FV. They also still have Quero at 40+. Weird.

Meanwhile, Andrew Painter--who some thought the Angels would draft in 2021--has risen to a 60 FV after a dominant season at A/A+/AA. Too bad they drafted Bachman instead of him.

Heh.  That site has become pretty weak.  After the seasons that both Neto and O'Hoppe had, they both dropped about 10 spots each.  

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

was paging through Painter's stats the other day and shaking my head.  

40 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

And Eppler drafted Matt Thaiss instead of Will Smith in 2016. Both ACC catchers.

It"s easy to build a narrative when you look backwards...

I'll give Minasian a pass on Bachman for multiple reasons. 

1. Bachman's outcome isn't known yet. Look at how long it took Taylor Ward to do anything. Bachman's journey won't be as long, but I'll give it at least a year or two more before making any assumptions.

2. Minasian bet on upside. Bachman's upside is pretty considerable. Upside also means more risk, though. 

3. Sam had a ton of helium heading into the draft. He was trending in the right direction. A lot of the guys started didn't have much of a profile, Bachman included. 

4. The draft in and off itself changed the direction of the franchise almost immediately. The Angels not only have a decent pitching staff now, but they'll also got quality, upside depth in AA and AAA. When is the last time they had that? Stoneman era, or Reagins era. Bachman, Bush, Silseth and Erla have all been fast climbers. 

Edited by Second Base