• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

It's a new year, and time for a new thread. And, more importantly, we might as well start compiling our Top Prospect List because who knows will the CBA will be renewed and then how insane it will be once it is renewed. 

Let's have at it, and more importantly, let's have a good season for all of our prospects, where they get in a full season's worth of work and development. I'm looking forward to several taking big steps forward and others making a bit of a bounce back.

Random thoughts, by level:

AAA: Will Davis Daniel continue his strong performance in AAA? He had a sub-3.00 ERA in both A+ and AA last year, but then struggled in 21 IP in AAA (10.29 ERA). He could be a really strong #4-5 starter for the Angels. And of course, everyone will be watching Reid Detmers and whether he can reduce his HR rate, although that will be difficult in Salt Lake. Brendon Davis is one to watch; unlike Daniel, he kept on performing in AAA, hitting .333/.409/.641 in 31 games. He's really established himself as a decent prospect, and is a darkhorse to grab a major league job next year. And everyone loves Michael Stefanic, comparing him to David Fletcher, but he looks like he's a better hitter.

AA: The two name to watch is obviously Sam Bachman, with the big question being whether he can stick as a starter; I have my doubts. Robinson Pina and Adam Seminaris are two others to keep an eye on; Pina has good stuff and could be a nice reliever. Jeremy Arocho is someone I have my eye on - I love his discipline-speed combo; who knows, maybe he can be a Figgins Lite utility player. I know he's old for a prospect, but you got to root for Braxton Martinez -  he killed the ball last year.

A+: One of the biggest questions going into the year is whether Jordyn Adams can regain his prospect cred. Aside from stats, one important marker is how quickly the Angels call him up to AA; if he's still in A+ into the second half, we could have a problem. One of my favorite prospects is Kyren Paris - if he's healthy, he also could be in AA sometime next season. Similarly with Jeremiah Jackson; I'd really like to see the Angels work on tightening up his swing and having him take more walks. And of course Trent Deveaux and D'Shawn Knowles are still on the radar, but their prospect shine has faded quite a bit. And of course, Ky Bush is one to watch, although his upside may be limited.

A: Here's where we have some guys who could determine whether the Angels farm is truly bad or decent: Arol Vera, Edgar Quero, Alexander Ramirez, Jack Kochanowicz, Alejandro Hidalgo, etc.

Rookie: Similarly with above, but this time Mason Albright, Denzer Guzman, Adrian Placencia, Werner Blakey, David Calabrese, and others. Also, we have a bunch of "fallen prospects" like William Holmes, Erik Rivera, Sadrac Franco, Gabriel Tapia, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing lots of guys, but that's just a sampling to get the conversation started.

On 1/2/2022 at 1:47 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Random thoughts, by level:

AAA: Will Davis Daniel continue his strong performance in AAA? He had a sub-3.00 ERA in both A+ and AA last year, but then struggled in 21 IP in AAA (10.29 ERA). He could be a really strong #4-5 starter for the Angels. And of course, everyone will be watching Reid Detmers and whether he can reduce his HR rate, although that will be difficult in Salt Lake. Brendon Davis is one to watch; unlike Daniel, he kept on performing in AAA, hitting .333/.409/.641 in 31 games. He's really established himself as a decent prospect, and is a darkhorse to grab a major league job next year. And everyone loves Michael Stefanic, comparing him to David Fletcher, but he looks like he's a better hitter.

AA: The two name to watch is obviously Sam Bachman, with the big question being whether he can stick as a starter; I have my doubts. Robinson Pina and Adam Seminaris are two others to keep an eye on; Pina has good stuff and could be a nice reliever. Jeremy Arocho is someone I have my eye on - I love his discipline-speed combo; who knows, maybe he can be a Figgins Lite utility player. I know he's old for a prospect, but you got to root for Braxton Martinez -  he killed the ball last year.

A+: One of the biggest questions going into the year is whether Jordyn Adams can regain his prospect cred. Aside from stats, one important marker is how quickly the Angels call him up to AA; if he's still in A+ into the second half, we could have a problem. One of my favorite prospects is Kyren Paris - if he's healthy, he also could be in AA sometime next season. Similarly with Jeremiah Jackson; I'd really like to see the Angels work on tightening up his swing and having him take more walks. And of course Trent Deveaux and D'Shawn Knowles are still on the radar, but their prospect shine has faded quite a bit. And of course, Ky Bush is one to watch, although his upside may be limited.

A: Here's where we have some guys who could determine whether the Angels farm is truly bad or decent: Arol Vera, Edgar Quero, Alexander Ramirez, Jack Kochanowicz, Alejandro Hidalgo, etc.

Rookie: Similarly with above, but this time Mason Albright, Denzer Guzman, Adrian Placencia, Werner Blakey, David Calabrese, and others. Also, we have a bunch of "fallen prospects" like William Holmes, Erik Rivera, Sadrac Franco, Gabriel Tapia, etc.

I'm sure I'm missing lots of guys, but that's just a sampling to get the conversation started.

AJ, some really good thoughts here.

In response, I see Daniel as being far better off in relief than as a starter. We might as well keep him as a starter for now, but he could become a very good part of a bullpen if we moved him there. Agree about Davis and Detmers. Davis could become a late blooming super utility player. And, even though they ended the season in Anaheim, Warren and Wantz will probably start the season on the SLK shuttle bus.

In AA, I'd also keep an eye on Zach Linginfelter, Jack Dashwood, and Brent Killam in terms of pitchers. Again, all could be serviceable bullpen arms. Offensively, I'm still watching Orlando Martinez. Braxton Martinez will be 28 at the start of next season. An impressive late showing, but probably not enough to get too long a look.

A+ Agreed Adams has to really make a big step here to retain his status. Agree on most everything else you said, although Jeremiah Jackson is one where I'd add that they will find a spot for him if his bat pans out (which I'm still hearing good things about from sources). He could stay at SS, move to 3B, 2B or even move to the outfield. 

Just some thoughts for discussion.

On 1/2/2022 at 4:47 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Sam Bachman, with the big question being whether he can stick as a starter; I have my doubts.

What are your doubts? He's pitched just 14 professional innings so I'm curious to see why you would question his ability to stick as a starter.

Outside of the top 5 or 6 picks, you either have a relief floor or a limited ceiling.  Anyone who's projected to be a TOR starter goes 1, 2 or 3.  Otherwise you get bumped to later in the draft.  So you pick a guy you think you can develop.  Like with Detmers they thought they could get an additional few MPH out of him and refine his secondary stuff.  Bachman has a weird delivery, a plus slider and fastball and a meh change.  So the Angels bet on their ability to help him develop that third pitch. 

BTW, I don't put a ton of stock into mechanics.  Maybe it's anecdotal, but I haven't seen one thing that indicates a guy will be more prone to injury or have less success because they look different.  #woke. 

Anyone in the top 25 outside of Leiter maybe has nits.  And ever Leiter is still a prospect.  Bachman has among the highest upside.   To have reliever concerns about him is just regurgitating what others have said about him.  Frankly, I don't know shit about him really other than he throw 97 and has some good stuff from what I've seen.   And I am as guilty of the next guy of regurgitating what I've heard so that's not a slam. 

The awesomeness of the inexactness of prospect eval is why I love it.  I think it's so fun that I can watch a guy and maybe know more about him than someone who's job it is to know about him. 

And the best part is that there aren't repercussions if I'm wrong.  I was high on Nonie Williams at one point.  And I didn't even get fired.  HAHA!

19 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

AJ, some really good thoughts here.

In response, I see Daniel as being far better off in relief than as a starter. We might as well keep him as a starter for now, but he could become a very good part of a bullpen if we moved him there. Agree about Davis and Detmers. Davis could become a late blooming super utility player. And, even though they ended the season in Anaheim, Warren and Wantz will probably start the season on the SLK shuttle bus.

In AA, I'd also keep an eye on Zach Linginfelter, Jack Dashwood, and Brent Killam in terms of pitchers. Again, all could be serviceable bullpen arms. Offensively, I'm still watching Orlando Martinez. Braxton Martinez will be 28 at the start of next season. An impressive late showing, but probably not enough to get too long a look.

A+ Agreed Adams has to really make a big step here to retain his status. Agree on most everything else you said, although Jeremiah Jackson is one where I'd add that they will find a spot for him if his bat pans out (which I'm still hearing good things about from sources). He could stay at SS, move to 3B, 2B or even move to the outfield. 

Just some thoughts for discussion.

Yes, all true, although I think Warren has earned a spot in the Opening Day bullpen. I mean, after Raisel, Loup, and Mayers, who is before him?

14 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

What are your doubts? He's pitched just 14 professional innings so I'm curious to see why you would question his ability to stick as a starter.

Well, scouting reports and his funky delivery and his injury in the last college season.

Don't discount scouting reports, Toby. I'm not saying that he can't make it as a starter, I just have my doubts.

13 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Outside of the top 5 or 6 picks, you either have a relief floor or a limited ceiling.  Anyone who's projected to be a TOR starter goes 1, 2 or 3.  Otherwise you get bumped to later in the draft.  So you pick a guy you think you can develop.  Like with Detmers they thought they could get an additional few MPH out of him and refine his secondary stuff.  Bachman has a weird delivery, a plus slider and fastball and a meh change.  So the Angels bet on their ability to help him develop that third pitch. 

BTW, I don't put a ton of stock into mechanics.  Maybe it's anecdotal, but I haven't seen one thing that indicates a guy will be more prone to injury or have less success because they look different.  #woke. 

Anyone in the top 25 outside of Leiter maybe has nits.  And ever Leiter is still a prospect.  Bachman has among the highest upside.   To have reliever concerns about him is just regurgitating what others have said about him.  Frankly, I don't know shit about him really other than he throw 97 and has some good stuff from what I've seen.   And I am as guilty of the next guy of regurgitating what I've heard so that's not a slam. 

The awesomeness of the inexactness of prospect eval is why I love it.  I think it's so fun that I can watch a guy and maybe know more about him than someone who's job it is to know about him. 

And the best part is that there aren't repercussions if I'm wrong.  I was high on Nonie Williams at one point.  And I didn't even get fired.  HAHA!

Yes to all that. And you didn't get fired because we all have a buffer zone: @ettin.

49 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Well, scouting reports and his funky delivery and his injury in the last college season.

Don't discount scouting reports, Toby. I'm not saying that he can't make it as a starter, I just have my doubts.

I'm not discounting them, or your opinion. But as Doc said, there isn't exactly much to go off of.

I don't think his delivery is much different from a right-handed Johan Santana.

• mmc pinned this topic
5 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm not discounting them, or your opinion. But as Doc said, there isn't exactly much to go off of.

I don't think his delivery is much different from a right-handed Johan Santana.

Interesting reference as Santana was a Hall of Fame caliber pitcher who blew out his arm at age 31. Furthermore, Santana started as a reliever who occasionally started. Actually, in his first four seasons he pitched in 117 games, starting 41 of them.

Now if we get Santana from Bachman I'll be ecstatic - even with the arm blowout at 31. Santana was arguably the best pitcher in baseball for a few years, and really good for about ten. Chances are he won't be that could, but he could be, which is why I'm worried. I still think they should keep him as a starter, but be very, very careful.

A lot of the criticism of Bachman simply comes from a lack of scouting. 

Bachman wasn't well regarded coming out of high school so not a lot of scouting history there. He attended an East Coast smaller college, not the same level of play or ease of access for scouts as someone in the PAC or SEC. His big developmental leap occurred in 2020, a season lost due to the shutdowns, so no one really got to see it. And because of the success he was experiencing this year as a starter, he had no reason to ever use his change up. 

So the consensus is that there's this unknown kid that's come out of nowhere with a funky delivery firing 100 mph bullets and using only two pitches. Of course they're going to think he's a reliever. 

But private workouts show that Bachman had a sturdy build, one that can sustain him across multiple innings. He throws a heavy ball, hard to square him up. The ball dances. He's actually got a great change piece too. 

It's just a confluence of factors that led to him not being well scouted. But I think he'll surprise folks and develop into an effective starting pitcher. Not an ace, I no longer attach such projections to velocity. 95+ is no longer a separating mark of ace-hood, and 100 mph doesn't separate success from failure. It's too simplistic of a view. 

I do think that Bachman can develop into a Lackey level starting pitcher. Not the breadth of innings, no one throws that many innings anymore, but that level of success. 

/media/2742/angels-900x635.jpg?preset=playerList

Nelson Rada

VenezuelaOF
Notes:

Born: Aug. 24, 2005. B-T: L-L. Ht.: 6-0. Wt.: 168.

If Rada had been born eight days later, he would be in next year's class instead, so he's one of the youngest players who will sign this year. Rada stood out playing for Venezuela at the U-15 World Cup Americas Qualifier in September 2019 in Mexico. He was 5-foot-9 early on, but he's the son of a former professional basketball player in Venezuela and has grown a few inches leading up to his signing date. He's an instinctive player, especially in center field where he gets good reads off the bat with a quick first step and at least solid-average speed. Rada has a fairly short stroke from the left side with a good eye for the strike zone and mostly gap power that has trended up as he's gotten stronger.

Team: Angels

/media/2742/angels-900x635.jpg?preset=playerList

Randy de Jesus

Dominican RepublicOF
Notes:

Born: Feb. 13, 2005. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-3. Wt.: 180.

De Jesus stood out early on for his physicality as a tall righthanded hitter. Since then he has improved his conditioning, getting himself into better shape while maintaining his ability to drive the ball with impact when he connects. He's a corner outfielder with a chance for above-average raw power, with scouts highest on him also believing in his ability to hit against live pitching.

Team: Angels