• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

C Rod and Canning are two guys that could really positively impact the 2023 team, if things break right for them and the Angels. Both could probably use a month or two in the minors, just to pitch some innings against live hitters.

As for Silseth, I think he has at least another half year of minor league development - probably a full year. He needs better command of his pitches, and I worry that his fastball is too straight and hittable. But I agree that the upside is there for a #2. Similar upside to C Rod, actually, but without the injury history. 

But with these three, plus Bush, Daniel, Erla, Torres, Murphy, Joyce, and maybe one or two others, the Angels have a nice bevy of young arms to draw from in 2023, at least by the second half.

30 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

I'd love to see Canning in relief.  I think he'd excel there, and possibly save wear and tear on his back.  

And arm. 

Yeah.  I don't know the right path moving forward for Canning and CRod - both can be very useful players for us, but given their injury history, what is best moving forward?  Should we try to re-stretch them back out to SPs?  Would having them pitch in relief be better?  I have no idea, but hopefully the FO and training staff can figure out a way to keep them healthy, or at least healthy enough to help make solid contributions.

6 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

I'd love to see Canning in relief.  I think he'd excel there, and possibly save wear and tear on his back.  

And arm. 

His ball dances and he pitches well out of the stretch. But Canning doesn't have bulldog mentality you look for from a reliever. He's still very calculated and passive out there. 

7 hours ago, Trendon said:

Hard disagree there.

It doesn’t seem like his stuff would play up in relief, and he doesn’t have that reliever mentality.

I think if Canning were put in the pen, he would probably occupy the role of long-reliever, a la Barria.  No need to have 2 such relievers on the staff.  I'd give Canning a shot to re-extend himself and start again.  If he can't stay healthy, then we can consider other options.

For CRod - I think I'd just switch him now.  The most amount of innings he has thrown in a season in 7 years is 57.  It seems really unrealistic to expect him to ever become a SP at this point.  We did see how well his stuff plays up in relief the other year, too, so I think he'd actually make for a really good high leverage reliever immediately, which can definitely help this club a lot this year.

I think you let Canning start, and maybe with the develop that Perry has brought in, they can improve Canning. Don't forget Canning's ceiling was that of a solid 2/3. Maybe they can unlock something for him, similar to detmers and Suarez. 

Personally with C-Rod i'm 50/50, his stuff is just too good to not give him a chance to start, but that injury history....Bring him into the season as a starter, and if doesn't work, switch to the BP. 

Soriano,could be another arm to consider for the Bp. plus-plus Fb, with plus slider. 

Bush and SIlseth will most likely start in AAA as starters. Doesn't hurt to have Depth

Marceuax again at AA for Depth

We still have Daniels, Crow, and Erla in the minors. 

It's crazy how much depth we developed on the pitching side and with good upside. 

Canning is the Rollie Fingers of starting pitchers.  He goes 4 and a third, 3 and two-thirds, and then he starts getting hit.  

If we move him to the pen, he can eliminate the back end of his arsenal, maybe polish up his fastball with our new pitching coordinator, (a driveline guy, IIRC) and lets see what happens.  

We've already seen what he can do as a starter, with middling results.  I am not saying to make him a closer, let him pitch the 7th or the 8th, and see what the results are. 

Canning's stuff has always been where the sum of his different pitches could be better than the parts.   He's got what I consider 50 grade stuff across the board.  Perhaps the FB and slider get an uptick in the pen but I just don't get that sense.  I think he'll have a better chance at success by mixing all four of those pitches and sequencing appropriately.  

He's was decent for a 23/24 yo in his first two seasons.  One of which was shortened by Covid.  And in 2021 he was never really right.  

I still think they try to keep him a starter.  He's only 26 and has had limited minor league innings.  My guess is that he'll pitch most of the year in the minors building up stamina.  He'll also probably get a handful of starts in the bigs if he stays healthy and they use a 6th starter a decent amount.  

6 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Canning's stuff has always been where the sum of his different pitches could be better than the parts.   He's got what I consider 50 grade stuff across the board.  Perhaps the FB and slider get an uptick in the pen but I just don't get that sense.  I think he'll have a better chance at success by mixing all four of those pitches and sequencing appropriately.  

He's was decent for a 23/24 yo in his first two seasons.  One of which was shortened by Covid.  And in 2021 he was never really right.  

I still think they try to keep him a starter.  He's only 26 and has had limited minor league innings.  My guess is that he'll pitch most of the year in the minors building up stamina.  He'll also probably get a handful of starts in the bigs if he stays healthy and they use a 6th starter a decent amount.  

Basically similar to Barria, but with a little better stuff?

6 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Basically similar to Barria, but with a little better stuff?

Canning has a bit more ceiling to him than Barria. Canning actually has two out pitches compared to 0 from Barria.

Barria was always viewed as a 4/5, but with his plus command there was upside to be a 3. 

Canning, was viewed as a 3 with the upside of a 2.  

Canning to me was also one of those guy young guys that was rushed to quick. My hope is similar to Detmers, there is enough data for them to make a few changes to canning and unlock some of that hidden potential. 

20 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

Canning is the Rollie Fingers of starting pitchers.  He goes 4 and a third, 3 and two-thirds, and then he starts getting hit.  

If we move him to the pen, he can eliminate the back end of his arsenal, maybe polish up his fastball with our new pitching coordinator, (a driveline guy, IIRC) and lets see what happens.  

We've already seen what he can do as a starter, with middling results.  I am not saying to make him a closer, let him pitch the 7th or the 8th, and see what the results are. 

Middling?

I don't know which Canning you were watching but this isn't him at all. Maybe in 2019, as a rookie, he had a few games like this, but still pitched 90+ innings with a 4.58 ERA in 18 starts...in 2020 he had a good year, and in 2021 he was obviously hurt. 

9 of his starts he gave up 3 or more runs.  4 starts he gave up 2, 3 he gave up 1, and 2 he had shut outs.

Ausmus had a couple quick hooks, but overall he usually went more than 5, having 12 starts where he pitched 5 or more, and in the 6 he didn't he pitched at least 4 innings 3 times. 

Pretty respectable rookie performance.

In 2020 he had a really good year in the shortened season, throwing a 3.99 ERA in 56.1 innings over 11 starts.

6 of his games he gave up 3 or more runs, and unlike the year previous, he didn't have any starts where he gave up more than 4. He had 5 starts where he allowed 1 ER. He didn't pitch long into games but that was Maddon's MO as they had a weird schedule.  Still averages 5 again.

In 2021 he was up and down from the minors, due to being hurt and not telling anyone, likely. 9 of his 14 starts were 5 innings or more, the other 5 he got knocked around a bit. Averaged 4.1 IP per start, and had 5.60 ERA. I'm blaming the injury.

In the three seasons he pitched, I see only a few games which fit the MO and I think you need to give him the benefit of the doubt and keep him in the rotation at least in AAA if not the majors. 

11 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Middling?

I don't know which Canning you were watching but this isn't him at all. Maybe in 2019, as a rookie, he had a few games like this, but still pitched 90+ innings with a 4.58 ERA in 18 starts...in 2020 he had a good year, and in 2021 he was obviously hurt. 

9 of his starts he gave up 3 or more runs.  4 starts he gave up 2, 3 he gave up 1, and 2 he had shut outs.

Ausmus had a couple quick hooks, but overall he usually went more than 5, having 12 starts where he pitched 5 or more, and in the 6 he didn't he pitched at least 4 innings 3 times. 

Pretty respectable rookie performance.

In 2020 he had a really good year in the shortened season, throwing a 3.99 ERA in 56.1 innings over 11 starts.

6 of his games he gave up 3 or more runs, and unlike the year previous, he didn't have any starts where he gave up more than 4. He had 5 starts where he allowed 1 ER. He didn't pitch long into games but that was Maddon's MO as they had a weird schedule.  Still averages 5 again.

In 2021 he was up and down from the minors, due to being hurt and not telling anyone, likely. 9 of his 14 starts were 5 innings or more, the other 5 he got knocked around a bit. Averaged 4.1 IP per start, and had 5.60 ERA. I'm blaming the injury.

In the three seasons he pitched, I see only a few games which fit the MO and I think you need to give him the benefit of the doubt and keep him in the rotation at least in AAA if not the majors. 

11  starts, 56 IP.  Five and one-third innings per start.  You have your opinion, I have mine.  5 innings per start means we would need 3, maybe 4 pitchers to finish his starts.  

JMO, but 5 per start isn't anything to brag about.  In my opinion, I think he'd be better off eliminating some of his lesser offerings, and going into the pen as a 7th or 8th inning option.

39 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

11  starts, 56 IP.  Five and one-third innings per start.  You have your opinion, I have mine.  5 innings per start means we would need 3, maybe 4 pitchers to finish his starts.  

JMO, but 5 per start isn't anything to brag about.  In my opinion, I think he'd be better off eliminating some of his lesser offerings, and going into the pen as a 7th or 8th inning option.

I'm just saying you're being too quick to judge. Should we rely on him, no. Should we count him out? also no.

He didn't regularly have extreme pitch counts that necessitated pulling him, it was the managers choice as he was a rookie, and then in the pandemic, and then because of injury.

Garrett Richards had a much higher ERA in his first season, and then broke out then was injured.

Sandoval didn't find his success until year three. 

Suarez had success then looked terrible, then looked great in the second half of last season. 

Detmers same had a minor tweak looked like an ace down the stretch.

I just think that if healthy, you give him a shot at the 6th spot, unless you sign a big name guy. He, Silseth, Bush, Davidson, Rosenberg, etc, can all combine to fill that 6th spot perfectly well, especially as they're not going straight 6 and will go with a 5.5 man rotation. 

C-Rod has the stuff but his injury concerns put him firmly in the pen. 

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

I mean you basing this off of one year in which he was hurt.Plus dude has only been in the league for 3 years and in one of those years, his mentor (Skagg) passed. Another year was cut short.