• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2022 Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

44 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

I mean you basing this off of one year in which he was hurt.Plus dude has only been in the league for 3 years and in one of those years, his mentor (Skagg) passed. Another year was cut short. 

He hasn't pitched at all in nearly 2 years.  Again, just an opinion, but to expect anything from him as a starter is setting us up for another season of diminished returns.

6 hours ago, mmc said:

Looks like BJ Boyd got re-signed

16 minutes ago, Trendon said:

maybe they'll actually play him at an age-appropriate level this season

Also, for some reason, one guy on Twitter would constantly complain about the Angels not moving him up in the system or even calling him up to the majors.  It was like some sort of a crusade for this dude.

10 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Also, for some reason, one guy on Twitter would constantly complain about the Angels not moving him up in the system or even calling him up to the majors.  It was like some sort of a crusade for this dude.

Yeah, I noticed that throughout the season. I don't know if that guy was a family member of Boyd or something.

That dream ends for everybody at some point, when they're playing days are done. Some is 12. Some make it to 18. Very few go beyond that. I was fortunate enough to latch on for two years post Marine Corps, before I stopped getting better and that dream ended. A groomsman of mine made it to 28 and played in the WBC. 

BJ Boyd is still playing affiliated ball at 29. That's incredible, whether it's A Ball or if he's bound for Cooperstown. Career minor leaguers are lovable, and tell the best stories, and they typically make great coaches too. There was more truth in Bull Durham than you might think. Battered Bastards of Baseball too. 

Anyone here remember Sherman Johnson? Nathan Haynes?

According to Sam Blum in his Athletic article yesterday, Chris Rodriguez has been building up arm strength but hasn’t thrown a bullpen.  It’s uncertain if he’ll be ready for opening day.  Paywall.

https://theathletic.com/4003303/2022/12/15/angels-chris-rodriguez-prospect/

Edited by Revad

1 hour ago, Revad said:

According to Sam Blum in his Athletic article yesterday, Chris Rodriguez has been building up arm strength but hasn’t thrown a bullpen.  It’s uncertain if he’ll be ready for opening day.  Paywall.

https://theathletic.com/4003303/2022/12/15/angels-chris-rodriguez-prospect/

Given he has barely pitched, like at all, as a MILB player over the years, this probably isn't a bad move.  Give him lots of time, don't rush him to start the year, and maybe they can eke out, say, 40-50 innings of relief out of him this year.

I do not think he can hold up as a SP.  I know there is some debate about whether a pitcher is more prone to injury as a SP or a RP, but just given how it seems SPs get injured more often (perhaps due to how many pitches they have to throw over a 1-2 hour stretch of time?), I would think his best shot of staying healthy is as a RP.

He would make a great bullpen weapon, as we saw the other year.  That is something this team needs.  Sign a 6th SP candidate, find perhaps another guy you can stash at AAA who could serve as depth, and then you have 6 starters, with Silseth, Canning (?), Davis, and Bush as possible options beyond the top 6.

44 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Given he has barely pitched, like at all, as a MILB player over the years, this probably isn't a bad move.  Give him lots of time, don't rush him to start the year, and maybe they can eke out, say, 40-50 innings of relief out of him this year.

I do not think he can hold up as a SP.  I know there is some debate about whether a pitcher is more prone to injury as a SP or a RP, but just given how it seems SPs get injured more often (perhaps due to how many pitches they have to throw over a 1-2 hour stretch of time?), I would think his best shot of staying healthy is as a RP.

He would make a great bullpen weapon, as we saw the other year.  That is something this team needs.  Sign a 6th SP candidate, find perhaps another guy you can stash at AAA who could serve as depth, and then you have 6 starters, with Silseth, Canning (?), Davis, and Bush as possible options beyond the top 6.

With Rodriguez I hope we see him at some point.  It would be great if Canning is healthy and can contribute, not just for next year.  Like finding forgotten cash in your pocket.

So I think this is one of the things that highlights are lack of player development infrastructure (scouting, drafting, developing, etc).  Many teams are linked to the top 33 IFAs, but we are notably absent from this list.  I know some headway has been made in the last few years, but we really need to make significant improvement when it comes to this.  Teams literally pluck the equivalent of 1st and 2nd rounders yearly via international scouting.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

So I think this is one of the things that highlights are lack of player development infrastructure (scouting, drafting, developing, etc).  Many teams are linked to the top 33 IFAs, but we are notably absent from this list.  I know some headway has been made in the last few years, but we really need to make significant improvement when it comes to this.  Teams literally pluck the equivalent of 1st and 2nd rounders yearly via international scouting.

I thought I read we were linked to the 4th best prospect this coming year. 

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

No one listed Edgar Quero and a top international prospect when the Angels signed him in February 2021. Less than two years later, he’s a borderline top 100 prospect.

I get what you’re saying, but these lists are projecting 15/16 year olds. And since these deals are made 2-3 years in advance, it’s difficult to establish an international presence when your front office changes.

13 minutes ago, Trendon said:

No one listed Edgar Quero and a top international prospect when the Angels signed him in February 2021. Less than two years later, he’s a borderline top 100 prospect.

I get what you’re saying, but these lists are projecting 15/16 year olds. And since these deals are made 2-3 years in advance, it’s difficult to establish an international presence when your front office changes.

This is a good point.  This, combined with your aforementioned post above it regarding the 2024 class, provides some hope that perhaps those changes have been made, and it will just take time to see it.

This does really go to show you how much time goes into this whole process.  It takes some time to develop your international footprint infrastructure, then a few years on top of that to work with and commit to super young talent, and then another 5+ years to develop them.

1 hour ago, Revad said:

Eric Longenhagen from Fangraphs, asked for an Angels pitching prospect he likes said Walbert Urena.  Not familiar with him, anyone have insights to share?

Turns 19 in January, has electric stuff but also had major control issues in the ACL in 2022 as an 18 year-old.

37.1 innings, 45 Ks but also 32 BBs

As mentioned though, still very young.