• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

On 11/7/2021 at 4:44 PM, Trendon said:

But he was on the Pirates injured list all season, not the roster. 

The rules say that: "A Rule 5 Draft pick can be placed on the Major League injured list, but he must be active for a minimum of 90 days to avoid being subject to the aforementioned roster restrictions in the next campaign." https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/rule-5-draft

Soriano was on the IL all year, so shouldn't the "aforementioned roster restrictions" still be in place? If so, those roster restrictions are that "should the player clear waivers, he must be offered back to his previous team for $50,000 and can be outrighted to the Minors only if his original club does not wish to reacquire him."

You are correct. The Angels are going to (most likely) get him back.

3 hours ago, rafibomb said:

I can definitely see the Angels revisiting trade talks they had earlier this season revolving around Marsh for one of their pitchers.

Marsh established this season that he can be a big leaguer, that he belongs in the majors.  But based on what he displayed, it also would not be unreasonable to now view him as having a fairly modest ceiling.

He may be included, but I just don’t think he has the upside to be a centerpiece of a deal that lands the kind of controllable starter the Angels need to acquire.

Edited by Dtwncbad

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Marsh established this season that he can be a big leaguer, that he belongs in the majors.  But based on what he displayed, it also would not be unreasonable to now view him as having a fairly modest ceiling.

He may be included, but I just don’t think he has the upside to be a centerpiece of a deal that lands the kind of controllable starter the Angels need to acquire.

I disagree that Marsh has a modest ceiling.  I think he's got a ceiling of a superstar.  I think his floor is pretty high and his probable outcome is that of a very good everyday player.  He absolutely has the upside to centerpiece a front line pitcher.  The dude is entering his age 24 season.  

Again, and I've said this before, people need to try to not think about Trout when they are evaluating prospects.  Or even Tatis or Soto or Acuna.  Like most really really good players, his best years are probably going to be age 27-31.  Which is still four years down the road.  

If Marsh is included in a trade they better get a legit ace who is club controlled for at least 3 if not 4 years.  Otherwise, they better not trade him.  

If they trade him for a good starter with 2 years of control I'm gonna lose my f**king mind.  

11 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

With all the free agent pitchers and the possibility of Castillo + Marlins' pitchers on the market, the Angels should have 0 excuse NOT to get 2 top of the rotation arms. 

Also note- if they sign a top FA arm and trade for another then they should have plenty of $ leftover to fill the bullpen and SS positions. 

You are setting yourself up to be upset. Also if they acquire a pitcher in trade then they’ll more than likely have another hole to fill since we’d be trading one of our young outfielders. 

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I disagree that Marsh has a modest ceiling.  I think he's got a ceiling of a superstar.  I think his floor is pretty high and his probable outcome is that of a very good everyday player.  He absolutely has the upside to centerpiece a front line pitcher.  The dude is entering his age 24 season.  

Again, and I've said this before, people need to try to not think about Trout when they are evaluating prospects.  Or even Tatis or Soto or Acuna.  Like most really really good players, his best years are probably going to be age 27-31.  Which is still four years down the road.  

If Marsh is included in a trade they better get a legit ace who is club controlled for at least 3 if not 4 years.  Otherwise, they better not trade him.  

If they trade him for a good starter with 2 years of control I'm gonna lose my f**king mind.  

I absolutely hope he ends up a superstar (if he stays with the Angels).

But tell me objectively why you think he has that ceiling.

How are opposing GMs supposed to see that high ceiling when, so far anyway, he has not really shown any indication that he will have any power?

There is a big difference in trade value between “he might develop some power as he gets older” and “wow this guy clearly shows he has some power.”

Don’t me wrong, I am not down on this guy. I think he will be a good player.  I am only talking about his trade value right now.  If teams are going to part with an “ace” type pitcher, isn’t it reasonable that they are going to want to make a deal with a different team to land a young player that more clearly displays some ability to hit for power?

I am just trying to be realistic.  I want the Angels to get some serious high end pitching and I don’t want to be that foolish homer fan that thinks the Angels are going to get a great starting pitcher in a deal where Marsh is the main return.

Today’s game is so power driven.  I think other teams probably are going to be more interested in other young players with power as a more obvious core skill.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

You are setting yourself up to be upset. Also if they acquire a pitcher in trade then they’ll more than likely have another hole to fill since we’d be trading one of our young outfielders. 

As an Angels fan i'm already prepared for disappointment. But I can dream for the 8th offseason in a row.... right?

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I absolutely hope he ends up a superstar (if he stays with the Angels).

But tell me objectively why you think he has that ceiling.

How are opposing GMs supposed to see that high ceiling when, so far anyway, he has not really shown any indication that he will have any power?

There is a big difference in trade value between “he might develop some power as he gets older” and “wow this guy clearly shows he has some power.”

Don’t me wrong, I am not down on this guy. I think he will be a good player.  I am only talking about his trade value right now.  If teams are going to part with an “ace” type pitcher, isn’t it reasonable that they are going to want to make a deal with a different team to land a young player that more clearly displays some ability to hit for power?

I am just trying to be realistic.  I want the Angels to get some serious high end pitching and I don’t want to be that foolish homer fan that thinks the Angels are going to get a great starting pitcher in a deal where Marsh is the main return.

Today’s game is so power driven.  I think other teams probably are going to be more interested in other young players with power as a more obvious core skill.

Jim Edmonds did hit only 4 HRs in 322 PAs in 1994 (1st season), before exploding to 32 in 1995.

I’m in the same camp as Doc, keep Marsh unless a TRUE #1 caliber starter with at least 4 years control is coming here.

If Marsh’s power does surface, 5 tools player.

Only turns 24 in 2022.

Edited by Angel Oracle