• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Official 2021-22 Hot Stove League Thread.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

@Jeff Fletcher Does Soriano return to the Angels organization if he clears waivers?

No. I think the Pirates get to keep him since he was on the roster all season. 

(I actually just replied to some people on Twitter that he becomes a minor league FA but as I think about it more, I don’t think that’s true. I think you only get to be a FA the 2nd time you’re DFA’d.)

Just now, AngelStew43 said:

Now we can sign Jon Gray without compensation.  I think he'd be much more consistent pitching at a park that isn't a launching pad.  Now, if we can only solve the problem with our infield defense. 

Gonna cost a lot more without the draft pick attached, unfortunately.

13 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

No. I think the Pirates get to keep him since he was on the roster all season. 

(I actually just replied to some people on Twitter that he becomes a minor league FA but as I think about it more, I don’t think that’s true. I think you only get to be a FA the 2nd time you’re DFA’d.)

But he was on the Pirates injured list all season, not the roster. 

The rules say that: "A Rule 5 Draft pick can be placed on the Major League injured list, but he must be active for a minimum of 90 days to avoid being subject to the aforementioned roster restrictions in the next campaign." https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/rule-5-draft

Soriano was on the IL all year, so shouldn't the "aforementioned roster restrictions" still be in place? If so, those roster restrictions are that "should the player clear waivers, he must be offered back to his previous team for $50,000 and can be outrighted to the Minors only if his original club does not wish to reacquire him."

11 minutes ago, AngelStew43 said:

Now we can sign Jon Gray without compensation.  I think he'd be much more consistent pitching at a park that isn't a launching pad.  Now, if we can only solve the problem with our infield defense. 

I think Jon Gray is gonna be the target of many teams. There will be a ton of teams thinking they can get more out of him, resulting in a bidding war. Also, I think there are smarter teams who'd get more out of him than the Angels would, making him worth less to the Angels than other teams.

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

But he was on the Pirates injured list all season, not the roster. 

The rules say that: "A Rule 5 Draft pick can be placed on the Major League injured list, but he must be active for a minimum of 90 days to avoid being subject to the aforementioned roster restrictions in the next campaign." https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/rule-5-draft

Soriano was on the IL all year, so shouldn't the "aforementioned roster restrictions" still be in place? If so, those roster restrictions are that "should the player clear waivers, he must be offered back to his previous team for $50,000 and can be outrighted to the Minors only if his original club does not wish to reacquire him."

Well maybe the Angels already said they didn’t want him. I will check with Minasian tomorrow when we talk to him at the GM meetings. 

3 hours ago, Trendon said:

I think Jon Gray is gonna be the target of many teams. There will be a ton of teams thinking they can get more out of him, resulting in a bidding war. Also, I think there are smarter teams who'd get more out of him than the Angels would, making him worth less to the Angels than other teams.

The Yankees were looking at Gray before the trade deadline. Sucks getting into a bidding war with them.

6 hours ago, AngelStew43 said:

I believe his road splits were worse than his home splits. Which means he may not just need to get out of Coors. 

4 hours ago, ThisismineScios said:

I believe his road splits were worse than his home splits. Which means he may not just need to get out of Coors. 

Meh -- Coors is a weird spot for pitchers.  There have been a bunch of guys that ran reverse spits there in part because they get used to pitching at altitude and then flatten out when they play in more normal environments.