• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2021-22 CBA Negotiation/Lockout Thread (DEAL IS AGREED TO)

mmc

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

It's marginally higher than the NFL, but basically comparable--and there's a little more actual gameplay in the average MLB broadcast. The chart below is from fivethirtyeight.com.

goldsberry-SUPER-BOWL-0131-1-2-mobile.png

But

4 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think you could make an argument that the amount of advertising is a significant barrier to entry for new fans. I haven't seen the numbers but I'd guess that MLB has the most time spent pushing advertising of any sport. If you compare it to other forms of entertainment it has to be very high on the list.

2EAF2BCC-8BA0-40BE-9ACB-710EA8E0C597.jpeg

28 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

You guys think the season starts on time? I’m having my doubts. 

I think there is a good chance they'll start on time (maybe with a shortened Spring Training). They aren't miles apart on the issues and there doesn't seem to be a big deal-breaker on the table, just details to be worked out. Also, after lost earnings and revenues over the past two years for both sides, I don't see much appetite to lose even more.

Caveat: I'm an optimist who likes to get things done, and view other people's problems through that 'can-do' lens. (I'm often disappointed.)

10 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

You guys think the season starts on time? I’m having my doubts. 

i seriously doubt it. Ps and Cs are supposed to report in about 4 weeks, and i doubt they'll have this thing done by then.

i expect they'll get a deal done by march 1 but they'll delay the start of the season a bit and end up with about a 154 game season.

They will figure it out.  My guess is they do so in time to start the regular season.  But I guess there is a chance the beginning of the season gets delayed to end up with a 145 or 150 game season.

And honestly that really doesn’t bother me much.  That’s still a legitimate number of games, especially considering that there has been some talk for a long time about shortening the season a bit to about that many games.

The 2022 WS championship is not going to have an asterisk by it, even psychologically.

So whatever.  Let them hammer out the details and just let us know when the games start.  It will be fine.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

The lockout will jump start negotiations, 43 days later the league starts negotiating.  If it took 43 days to jump start your car you’d get a new car. 

This comment hits home personally.  There has been a screw in the tire of my wife’s car for a couple weeks and I haven’t bothered with it yet because we haven’t needed that car for the last couple of weeks.

But I am going to need her car to be ready to go next week.

So I am going to take it in Friday or Saturday.

The point is obvious but I will also say it.  The progress and timeline (and strategy) of many projects is driven by a deadline, not the starting line.

It is really a bit silly to be fixated on this situation in the context of the amount of time from the lockout to the next publicized date of talks.

The parties involved have a much better understanding of managing the timeline and deadline than fans.

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

This comment hits home personally.  There has been a screw in the tire of my wife’s car for a couple weeks and I haven’t bothered with it yet because we haven’t needed that car for the last couple of weeks.

But I am going to need her car to be ready to go next week.

So I am going to take it in Friday or Saturday.

The point is obvious but I will also say it.  The progress and timeline (and strategy) of many projects is driven by a deadline, not the starting line.

It is really a bit silly to be fixated on this situation in the context of the amount of time from the lockout to the next publicized date of talks.

The parties involved have a much better understanding of managing the timeline and deadline than fans.

image.jpg

Your analogy doesn't really work here, since you can take the car to pretty much any service station and they can fix it within 10 minutes for about $20, max.  So your "deadline" to start the whole process is maybe, what, 30 minutes before your wife needs the car?  If you think these negotiations can be wrapped up quickly just because there's a deadline approaching, you must not have paid much attention to the history of baseball labor negotiations.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

Your analogy doesn't really work here, since you can take the car to pretty much any service station and they can fix it within 10 minutes for about $20, max.  So your "deadline" to start the whole process is maybe, what, 30 minutes before your wife needs the car?  If you think these negotiations can be wrapped up quickly just because there's a deadline approaching, you must not have paid much attention to the history of baseball labor negotiations.

I knew somebody would microanalyze the analogy to dismiss the point.

Try to focus on the actual stated individual point.

“The progress and timeline (and strategy) of many projects is driven by a deadline, not the starting line.”

Edited by Dtwncbad

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

I knew somebody would microanalyzer the analogy to dismiss the point.

Try to focus on the actual stated individual point.

“The progress and timeline (and strategy) of many projects is driven by a deadline, not the starting line.”

Then make a better analogy that's actually relevant--or just leave out the analogy and make your point.