• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2021-22 CBA Negotiation/Lockout Thread (DEAL IS AGREED TO)

mmc

20 minutes ago, Tank said:

Because the 7594 ads throughout the stadium and on tv just aren’t enough?

I think you could make an argument that the amount of advertising is a significant barrier to entry for new fans. I haven't seen the numbers but I'd guess that MLB has the most time spent pushing advertising of any sport. If you compare it to other forms of entertainment it has to be very high on the list.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think you could make an argument that the amount of advertising is a significant barrier to entry for new fans. I haven't seen the numbers but I'd guess that MLB has the most time spent pushing advertising of any sport. If you compare it to other forms of entertainment it has to be very high on the list.

That's because it's so slow and has too much down time. 

11 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It's marginally higher than the NFL, but basically comparable--and there's a little more actual gameplay in the average MLB broadcast. The chart below is from fivethirtyeight.com.

goldsberry-SUPER-BOWL-0131-1-2-mobile.png

Just now, Lou said:

Genius 

Totally. They are optimizing for increased profit, same as everyone else. It's the reason your hamburger at Carls Jr has less actual beef in it every year, why everything you buy seems to have more and more plastic in it, or your seat on the airplane gets smaller and smaller... They are watering down the product.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

It's marginally higher than the NFL, but basically comparable--and there's a little more actual gameplay in the average MLB broadcast. The chart below is from fivethirtyeight.com.

goldsberry-SUPER-BOWL-0131-1-2-mobile.png

That's about what I figured. I find the NFL unwatchable. As popular as it is now I would bet against it maintaining it's current standing going forward. Baseball is more niche, and it isn't doing itself any favors by only having marginally more advertising than the NFL.

58 minutes ago, Lou said:

Yes. The pace of play adds to the enjoyment. 

Right @WicketMaiden?

I took to CFB straight away after giving up on the NFL years ago. The whole product seems to have more hustle: the players on the field setting up for the next play, the coaches on the sidelines, the personnel changes, it all seems to be quicker and more intense, like the players are trying to hustle so there isn't time to go to an ad break. Great fun to watch. Watching NFL is like watching three hours of ever repeating adverts with an occasional break for the sports. 

Baseball isn't too bad for me because I'm out of country, so I just get the MLB logo while you're hearing about the latest Burger King and Chevrolet for the fiftieth time. I usually have something else on to watch concurrently and skip between the two.