• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Albert Pujols released...

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

And my guess is that Arte is actually pretty pissed at Albert for not accepting his role as a bench player ie doing what's best for the team.

Didn't consider this possibility. It makes sense considering the speed of the outcomes. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

At a late 2011 makeshift AW tailgate before the Halos/A’s game here, a couple of A’s fans joined the tailgate
One of the dudes could have been a clone of Jason Segal.

This is either amazing or AO is just making this up and we're too afraid to call him on it.

Either way...

EDGE: AO

To be a fly on the wall...

"Albert, come in and have a seat. We'd like to have a little chat and air things out. We know..."

"I don't want to have a chat, I have to get my BP in now."

"Well, Albert, that can wait. This is more important. We know you've been struggling a bit and want to suggest you consider a more diverse role on the team, you know, like a pinch hitter or a platoon player. Just for a time while you work on some things."

"I don't need to work on any things. I'm Albert Pujols."

"Well Albert, we understand that, but there's the problems of your numbers."

"My numbers are Hall of Fame! I'm Albert Pujols. Everyone knows my numbers. Gubi's always talking about them."

"Well...there's the .198 batting average and a few other things."

"Bad luck, man, that's all it is."

"Here's the deal, Albert. We're going to take you out of the starting lineup for a while and see how that works, for the good of the team. You're a team player, right?"

"I'm Albert Pujols and I don't sit on no bench!"

"Well, we're sorry you feel that way. Is there any possibility of changing your mind?"

"Nada! I want to play every day!"

"Sorry, but we're sinking into the cellar, into oblivion actually, and we need to make some changes. You have to understand."

"I want to play every day! There's nothing more to talk about. Goodbye." (Slams the door on his way out)

............................"Goodbye, Albert."

14 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The problem has been the defense, of which AP played a huge role.  

I agree there could/should have been a more elegant exit, but AP wanted no part of that.... He stubbornly believes he can turn it around despite five years of evidence he cannot.  Nobody wanted to see it end like this, but a team can only pay homage to the past for so long and since Walsh's emergence it could no longer be argued there weren't better options available.  There isnt any scenario in which AP gets play time where he is a better option than the other players on the roster... Even Rojas who struggled mightily coming out of the gate represents a better option.

When push comes to shove the Angels bent over backwards for AP.  They continued to give him at bats. They talked up his past while turning a blind eye to his present because they DID respect his legacy, now they are catching shit for letting him go from many of the same people that spent the last five years ripping them for not caring enough about winning.

This is what caring about winning looks like, feelings be damned.

It sucks, it might seem cold but there is no question its what needed to happen in light of APs refusal to be a bench player.

defense --in one of the Tampa Bay games that Pujols played in this past week - there was a groundball to first that got by Pujols - should have been fielded - the guy simply cannot be on defense - even at first base - these days -- he's strictly a DH and one who probably needs a Pinch Runner in the mid to late innings.  the opening line on the post above - ""The problem has been the defense, of which AP played (left) a huge hole."

Wish AP the best - hope he catches on with Toronto or Cleveland - maybe KC - to play out the year - add a few more HRs to his 667 total.  A return to St Louis would be nostalgic but not very practical.

Inside Pitch said defense has been a problem -- and so just after I post the above-

Walsh bungles a pop up behind the first base bag that the scorekeeper somehow scored a DOUBLE -- (looked like a two base error in my score book)

and then Rojas kicks a ball a third base.

yeah, Defense is an issue. even without Pujols.

7 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

"Albert, come in and have a seat. We'd like to have a little chat and air things out. We know..."

"Well, Albert, that can wait. This is more important. We know you've been struggling a bit and want to suggest you consider a more diverse role on the team, you know, like a pinch hitter or a platoon player. Just for a time while you work on some things."

"My numbers are Hall of Fame! I'm Albert Pujols. Everyone knows my numbers. Gubi's always talking about them."

"Here's the deal, Albert. We're going to take you out of the starting lineup for a while and see how that works, for the good of the team. You're a team player, right?"

"Well, we're sorry you feel that way. Is there any possibility of changing your mind?"

"Sorry, but we're sinking into the cellar, into oblivion actually, and we need to make some changes. You have to understand."

"I want to play every day! There's nothing more to talk about. Goodbye." (Slams the door on his way out)

Have you ever thought about writing screenplays?

18 hours ago, yk9001 said:

For ten fucking years, too many of you have believed that the Angels owe Pujols  something mystical and magical for what he produced with the Cardinals.  

The Angels paid the man a quarter of a billion dollars - and back 10 years ago, that was actually worth something - and got jack shit in return.  Pujols never came close to living up to his contract with the Angels.  And you two idiots are still clamoring for "respect" for him for what he did eons ago.

He's a prissy, complaining, negative-WAR bitch, who hasn't been worthy of a major league roster spot in years.  The Angels bent over backwards to try to appease him.  But his production wasn't worth a tenth of what the Angels did for him.  Passing some dead guy on an all-time RBI list never helped the Angels at all in the past 10 years.

F that guy.

Bravo. Fuck Pujols. He’s a giant piece of shit. So happy to be done with that clown. 

21 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

This isn't anywhere close to accurate.

He didn't say "mang" once?

Do you guys think a team will sign him and give him the same playing time he wanted with the Angels?

I'm looking at teams out there and finding a hard time finding one that can give him more playing time than the Angels did and would going forward.

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Do you guys think a team will sign him and give him the same playing time he wanted with the Angels?

I'm looking at teams out there and finding a hard time finding one that can give him more playing time than the Angels did and would going forward.

I dont see it. IP made a good point about the Brewers. And perhaps someone else might be in that boat.

But with the game the way it is now, I just dont see any team starting him. His lack of being able to run is almost as big of a deal as his lack of being able to hit.

Its already been said in here, but ill repeat it. Had be been a FA 3 years ago or so, he would have been out of baseball already. Even if he was willing to play for league min.

The only chance I see anyone bringing him aboard is because of his name, a "respect" thing. 

I honestly wouldnt be surprised if the cards bring him on just to call it a day... or we bring him back when rosters expand (and hes still single). Just to give him a send off.

But aside from those two, i just dont see anyone else wasting the roster spot. I assume every team has someone already there who could give you whatever albert still gives.

Not to sound like a dick, but i think back to that tweet a few weeks ago from one of our affiliate guys. Who said were the most exciting team because ohtani and trout... and pujols "hitting"

He hit a few HRs... sure... but nothing else

It sucks, because he perhaps had a shot to hit 33 (hey, it could happen) and get to 700...

But that is dumb for the team when we had better options. 

He should have accepted his bench role like a pro....

Covid robbed him of 700, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31406603/tony-la-russa-sings-albert-pujols-praises-says-stacked-white-sox-lineup-leaves-no-fit-ex-slugger

Just now, fan_since79 said:

I wonder if any teams will even want to deal with his disdain at being a part-time player. He's got some attitude issues now which were exposed by his messy exit.

It's sad, but he brought it upon himself. Not a team player. Just my take.

I think, in his defense, hes so close to 700, that you cant really blame him.

I fully agree, hes been done for s few years, and he needs to accept his personal milestone isnt bigger than the tea.. (any team)

But I can sympathize a bit.... so close to that huge milestone.

Without covid hed finish top ten in hits, and 700 almost for sure. 

Sucks for him... but he also shouldnt have gotten that close to begin with. This team gave him a ton of leash the past few years.

I almost wonder if there was hope in the org that if he got to 700 hed retire? And thats why they kept playing him. But they finally couldnt justify it because of the emergence of others.

1 minute ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I think, in his defense, hes so close to 700, that you cant really blame him.

I fully agree, hes been done for s few years, and he needs to accept his personal milestone isnt bigger than the tea.. (any team)

But I can sympathize a bit.... so close to that huge milestone.

Without covid hed finish top ten in hits, and 700 almost for sure. 

Sucks for him... but he also shouldnt have gotten that close to begin with. This team gave him a ton of leash the past few years.

I almost wonder if there was hope in the org that if he got to 700 hed retire? And thats why they kept playing him. But they finally couldnt justify it because of the emergence of others.

Is 700 really that much more of a milestone than 667?  I mean, he'd be in 4th place all time--but he'd also be in 4th place if he had 697...700 seems like a manufactured goal.