• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: Is Trevor Bauer the final piece?

I was just thinking of Barria. The kid is just 24 and to me he gets a pass in 2019 after that debacle of a shitshow of a clusterfuck of a pitching coach we had in Doug White who I believe really altered his pitching mechanics or something because he really went to shit.

2020: 3.62 ERA

2019: 6.42 ERA

2019: (Minors) 9.68 ERA

2018: 3.41 ERA

Barria's minor league career numbers outside of his 2019.

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 10.53.44 AM.png

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

this is why some people will never be happy.  Your expectation is that the Angels will spend the most money and give up the assets to get one of the best pitchers to change teams in the same off season.  If they don't do that then it was a bad off season and they are only giving 80%.  It is just setting yourself up to be disappointed.  Also what does the rotation look like with your dream scenario?

Bauer, Gray, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Quintana, Barria and Ohtani.  So obviously that is too many, so now not only do you want them to go get Gray you are basically telling the team in order to get Gray you have to include Barria or Canning.  Good luck.  

While I’m setting myself up to be disappointed because I want to see this team win a championship, you and others have accepted disappointment as being the norm. 

Heaney can’t stay healthy and this could be his last season here. Bauer and Gray give us some stability moving forward.

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

While I’m setting myself up to be disappointed because I want to see this team win a championship, you and others have accepted disappointment as being the norm. 

Heaney can’t stay healthy and this could be his last season here. Bauer and Gray give us some stability moving forward.

yea, I get the attraction, it is the expectation that is ridiculous.  

25 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I was just thinking of Barria. The kid is just 24 and to me he gets a pass in 2019 after that debacle of a shitshow of a clusterfuck of a pitching coach we had in Doug White who I believe really altered his pitching mechanics or something because he really went to shit.

2020: 3.62 ERA

2019: 6.42 ERA

2019: (Minors) 9.68 ERA

2018: 3.41 ERA

Barria's minor league career numbers outside of his 2019.

Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 10.53.44 AM.png

Barria great 18 then Eppler signs Cahill and Harvey. Barria starts season in minors messed with his head. 2020 in short season was back in 2018 form.

47 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

This sounds familiar 

Yes, because I’ve done the research and proven that many WS winners didn’t have more than one #2 pitcher, and some made due with a handful of #3s. It’s fact, Jack.

Now having multiple #1-2s is a nice thing to have, but the point is that it is not absolutely necessary to go all the way, at least if you’re strong in other areas.

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

It's not about accepting disappointment, it's about understanding that maintaining a $250 million annual payroll isn't realistic to begin with.

27 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yes, because I’ve done the research and proven that many WS winners didn’t have more than one #2 pitcher, and some made due with a handful of #3s. It’s fact, Jack.

Now having multiple #1-2s is a nice thing to have, but the point is that it is not absolutely necessary to go all the way, at least if you’re strong in other areas.

The game is changing and teams that have been winning the World Series lately have had more than 1 top of the rotation arm. 

Lucky for you it seems that Arte agrees agrees with your logic and it seems to be working out great for the Angels 

Dodgers/Rays 

Nationals/Astros

Red Sox/Dodgers

Astros/Dodgers

Cubs/Indians

You could make the argument that the teams who’ve made and lost the WS have had more than 1 top of the rotation arm.

12 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

The game is changing and teams that have been winning the World Series lately have had more than 1 top of the rotation arm. 

Lucky for you it seems that Arte agrees agrees with your logic and it seems to be working out great for the Angels 

Dodgers/Rays 

Nationals/Astros

Red Sox/Dodgers

Astros/Dodgers

Cubs/Indians

You could make the argument that the teams who’ve made and lost the WS have had more than 1 top of the rotation arm.

Please read this post:

Short version:  of the ten WS winners from 2010-19, only half had more than one #2 or better starters, and one had none. The Dodgers in 2020 obviously increase the tally, but the basic proportion remains the same.

But yes, the more really good starters the better. But it isn’t an absolute requirement to have two #2s.

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 minute ago, floplag said:

No one has ever asked for this to be perpetual, please show me that?
Some people, myself included, have suggested that the tax should be busted for these two years, not annually or indefinitely.

If you say so. There are people on this board every single year who say we need to blow past the tax 'just for this year' all while talking about the Pujols deal coming off the books in 3 more years, 2 more years 1 more year... Look I get it, there is always reason to spend more money, all we have to go on is Arte's history of doing so in order to see how likely it is. We already have more $20+ million contracts than any other team and that isn't good enough. We can go over the luxury tax number for a couple years then in two off season we'll be here having this exact same conversation.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If you say so. There are people on this board every single year who say we need to blow past the tax 'just for this year' all while talking about the Pujols deal coming off the books in 3 more years, 2 more years 1 more year... Look I get it, there is always reason to spend more money, all we have to go on is Arte's history of doing so in order to see how likely it is. We already have more $20+ million contracts than any other team and that isn't good enough. We can go over the luxury tax number for a couple years then in two off season we'll be here having this exact same conversation.

I dont suggest Arte hasnt spent, he has.  Hell thats part of the problem weve made some very aggressive bad signings under his tenure.
But im also not crying over spilled milk.
We kept trout, there had to be a reason for that, if there was ever a time, its now.