• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: Is Trevor Bauer the final piece?

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

I dont suggest Arte hasnt spent, he has.  Hell thats part of the problem weve made some very aggressive bad signings under his tenure.
But im also not crying over spilled milk.
We kept trout, there had to be a reason for that, if there was ever a time, its now.

My reference to Arte is his one season of going marginally over the tax. It's happened, it just hasn't been often, and the years that followed were filled with us complaining about being one hitter short and needing to go over the tax again. So yes it could very well happen again, and if it does you can be sure that we will be right back here complaining that he didn't maintain a higher payroll in the seasons after.

12 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Maddon has said Angels will have 6 man rotation. Bauer does not fit in, Richards, Walker, Paxton and Archer do.

Nonsense.  A guy willing to pitch every fourth day does not disrupt a rotation that may include six different pitchers.  It helps mitigate the downside of the six pitcher getting as many starts as the top half.

And for the millionth time, planning on using 6 different pitchers is not the same as robotically rotating 6 pitchers (where they just take their turn every 6th game).

I am wide open to bets that the Angels do not employ a “six man rotation” under the definition of having six guys just take their turn every 6th game.  That ain’t gonna happen.

3 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

My reference to Arte is his one season of going marginally over the tax. It's happened, it just hasn't been often, and the years that followed were filled with us complaining about being one hitter short and needing to go over the tax again. So yes it could very well happen again, and if it does you can be sure that we will be right back here complaining that he didn't maintain a higher payroll in the seasons after.

Well we both know some people are just never happy.    
We all want the club to win, we all have our ideas on how to do it...  it is what it is 🙂
AS for me, i believe he must do it now, but i wont expect him to keep it at 230+

Just now, Angels 1961 said:

I feel Minasian adds some bullpen pieces even like Brad Hand. 

i said a long time ago a viable option was to get a lock down pen, a couple tier two starters, and a bat.  I still think it makes sense as im not wild about another 30M ish contract... it could still happen if we lose out on Bauer, but i kinda doubt it at this point.

22 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Nonsense.  A guy willing to pitch every fourth day does not disrupt a rotation that may include six different pitchers.  It helps mitigate the downside of the six pitcher getting as many starts as the top half.

And for the millionth time, planning on using 6 different pitchers is not the same as robotically rotating 6 pitchers (where they just take their turn every 6th game).

I am wide open to bets that the Angels do not employ a “six man rotation” under the definition of having six guys just take their turn every 6th game.  That ain’t gonna happen.

This (starts in parenthesis)

Bundy (32)

Quintana (32)

Heaney (30)

Canning (25)

Barria (25)

Ohtani (18)

Then add two late innings guys and a one year contract for RF.

Edited by Angel Oracle

12 minutes ago, floplag said:

i said a long time ago a viable option was to get a lock down pen, a couple tier two starters, and a bat.  I still think it makes sense as im not wild about another 30M ish contract... it could still happen if we lose out on Bauer, but i kinda doubt it at this point.

Blue Jays and Dodgers in on Bauer. I think a trade and strong pen for halos. 

3 hours ago, Fourts said:

He should be.  He's what they needed now....heck, he's what they have needed for like 4-5+ years ongoing now.  But alas, we all know the inevitable -- it'll be anyone but the Angels.  

Yep... The Angels can spread out the money but it'll become the same question again next year with "who leads the Angels' rotation?"

If we all think Bundy, Heaney or Ohtani will be our aces then we've been brainwashed by what the front office has been doing with our rotation during Eppler's tenure. 
I get that our rotation has a TON of depth. The problem is we can't keep relying on our offense to win games 6-5. It didn't work at all last year despite us scoring well last year. 

What is one common thing every team in the World Series has had since 2016? An Ace (or 2). Not 4 solid #3 guys. 

13 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

The Angels could be Bauer's top suitor now unless another team like the Blue Jays (seem to be after Paxton) and Dodgers (their rotation is set and they've been said to have made Justin Turner their top priority to re-sign in free agency this offseason).

Heres the thing, the one glaring need the dodgers still have is a 3B, with Justin Turner seemingly not coming back.

They could, if they wanted to, sign Bauer and trade one of the kids for almost any 3B in the game.   We know Kershaw will probably miss time as will Price.  God knows they have the depth to absorb that with Buehler, May, Urias, and Gonsolin.  Its also worth nothing that this is Kershaws last season before FA, and Price has only one more.

To suggest they are ever out of it, especially when the biggest off season push if from one of their direct challengers, seems wishful thinking. 

At this point, i actually think they are the favorite, not us.  I hope im wrong.

11 minutes ago, floplag said:

Heres the thing, the one glaring need the dodgers still have is a 3B, with Justin Turner seemingly not coming back.

They could, if they wanted to, sign Bauer and trade one of the kids for almost any 3B in the game.   We know Kershaw will probably miss time as will Price.  God knows they have the depth to absorb that with Buehler, May, Urias, and Gonsolin.  Its also worth nothing that this is Kershaws last season before FA, and Price has only one more.

To suggest they are ever out of it, especially when the biggest off season push if from one of their direct challengers, seems wishful thinking. 

At this point, i actually think they are the favorite, not us.  I hope im wrong.

Every indication has Justin Turner going back to the Dodgers. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Every indication has Justin Turner going back to the Dodgers. 

You may be right, i havent heard about him  regarding anyone one else, but until he signs its still just speculation.  Otherwise Bauer would already be in our rotation. 
All im saying is pretending that the Dodgers arent an option, is wishful thinking. 

After watching this, I don't think Bauer wants to be part of such a hypocritical organization like the Angels. 

*Not trolling*  Part of the reason that Arte spent big money on Pujols, Rendon, and Hamilton (and why Arte was so pissed) was because of their faith.  Here a clubhouse guy is fired for giving drugs to a player that ODs.  I think Bauer is write for being critical of the hypocrisy of the MLB and the Angels.  I think it makes the Angels look as bad as the Astros did last year.

I mean, Bauer is basically a hypocrite himself. He called out other people for using foreign substances to improve their spin rate and then his spin rate "randomly" spiked this season. It's pretty clear that he started using foreign substances as well.

We have a bunch of Odorizzi's on this team IMO. We have a bunch of guys who have flashed brilliance, some gems along the way. But they've also laid some turds too. That includes Ohtani even in his 2018 campaign. 

One thing we haven't had in a loooooooong time was a true sure fire ace that can be counted on to dominant the opposition more times than not whenever they take the mound. A Cy Young even.

He's available for the taking on a team that hasn't landed #1 starter via free agency since Bartolo Colon in 2004. 

Also a guy that isn't a pussy to take the ball after three days of rest and dominate the opposition. Bauer, pitching on three days rest for the first time late in the 2020 season pitched eight innings against a good Milwaukee Brewers offense, giving up just four hits and one earned run while striking out 12 in Cincinnati’s 6-1 win. 

Sorry gents, but while I won't be devastated if we sign an Odorizzi type, sign another closer + a right fielder, I would much rather go all in and sign Trevor Bauer and spend whatever crumbs we have left (if any) on whatever else, or just go with what we have.