• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: Is Trevor Bauer the final piece?

On 1/22/2021 at 12:44 PM, NorCal Halo said:

After watching this, I don't think Bauer wants to be part of such a hypocritical organization like the Angels. 

*Not trolling*  Part of the reason that Arte spent big money on Pujols, Rendon, and Hamilton (and why Arte was so pissed) was because of their faith.  Here a clubhouse guy is fired for giving drugs to a player that ODs.  I think Bauer is write for being critical of the hypocrisy of the MLB and the Angels.  I think it makes the Angels look as bad as the Astros did last year.

After watching this and reading this, I’m pissed.

I could have been watching cricket reruns.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

So do I!  I have said repeatedly that I'd love nothing more than for Ohtani to live up to the hype!  I still think it's crazy to predict or count on that many starts from him, though.

Yeah, I'm with you. We can't count on him. 

But holy hell if we get ANYTHING close to his 2018, with or without Bauer it's going to be huge. 

Just can't from a GM standpoint even think he's in your back pocket IMO. 

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

But holy hell if we get ANYTHING close to his 2018, with or without Bauer it's going to be huge. 

Well, if we get his 2018, we'll get 50 innings from him, so that part at least seems reasonable...  😉

5 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Imagine a 2018 Ohtani and Bauer on the same team in 2021? That'd be pretty fun to watch. 

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

to me, best case scenario for Ohtani is that he fumbles his way through about 50 innings or so in the first half and then gets his sea legs in the second half just in time for the playoffs.  

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

to me, best case scenario for Ohtani is that he fumbles his way through about 50 innings or so in the first half and then gets his sea legs in the second half just in time for the playoffs.  

Best case?

You've got To be kidding me! - joker mind loss | Meme Generator

That doesn't sound like a "best case" at all.

12 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

I believe that the team only needs two things at this point: a top-of-the rotation arm and a lefty in the bullpen.

They do have Alex Claudio plus Sandoval has the tools to be another solid enough lefty reliever.

So if Arte Moreno is willing to exceed the budget/threshold for two seasons tops (2021-22), go for it!

6 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

I believe that the team only needs two things at this point: a top-of-the rotation arm and a lefty in the bullpen.

We do have Alex Claudio, Jose Quijada, Patrick Sandoval, Jose Suarez, Dillon Peters and don’t sleep on Hector Yan who could be a lights out reliever at some point in 2021. 

My priorities have change slightly. 

1. Trevor Bauer (if not him one of the second tier starting pitchers).

2. Sign an every day right-fielder on a 1-year deal (Joc Pederson, Kevin Pillar, Nomar Mazara, Yasiel Puig, etc.)

3. Sign a high leverage reliever: Trevor Rosenthal, Alex Colome or Roberto Osuna.

4. Sign two secondary type relief pitchers. Soria and Oliver Perez?

5 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

We do have Alex Claudio, Jose Quijada, Patrick Sandoval, Jose Suarez, Dillon Peters and don’t sleep on Hector Yan who could be a lights out reliever at some point in 2021. 

My priorities have change slightly. 

1. Trevor Bauer (if not him one of the second tier starting pitchers).

2. Sign an every day right-fielder on a 1-year deal (Joc Pederson, Kevin Pillar, Nomar Mazara, Yasiel Puig, etc.)

3. Sign a high leverage reliever: Trevor Rosenthal, Alex Colome or Roberto Osuna.

4. Sign two secondary type relief pitchers. Soria and Oliver Perez?

Pretty much dead on as far as im concerned, although my hopes for Bauer and dwindling by the day.  Just feels like if it was going to happen, it would have, and were being leveraged to get more from other teams.   No real reason other than its an obvious fit they have literally had months and... nothing. 

Or other teams are being leveraged to get more from us, since it is such an obvious need.  Either way we are closer to the end of this than the beginning and I can’t imagine it isn’t resolved this week.  I simply don’t see us getting a starter, three relievers and an everyday right fielder.  I think we will see a starter, hopefully Bauer, a reliever, hopefully Rosenthal and a 4th outfielder type, Pilar or someone similar.  If we had an off season that looks like this:

Bauer or Odorizzi 

Quintana

Iglesias

Rosenthal

Claudio

Iglesias

Pilar or similar 

That would be an AMAZING off season.  

1 hour ago, Mark68 said:

While a lefty would be nice, I think the quality of the reliever comes first and foremost. They need someone they can slot in behind Iglesias to be a setup guy along with everyone they already have. Ideally, they could get a lefty in the pen of good quality. Justin Wilson?

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think we will see a starter, hopefully Bauer, a reliever, hopefully Rosenthal and a 4th outfielder type, Pilar or someone similar.  If we had an off season that looks like this:

Bauer or Odorizzi 

Quintana

Iglesias

Rosenthal

Claudio

Iglesias

Pilar or similar 

That would be an AMAZING off season.  

I'd love that as well.

I think, to finish off the offseason, they add:

- a mid-tier FA starter (Archer/Odorizzi/Paxton/Porcello/Tanaka/Walker)

- 1-2 mid-tier relievers maybe one closer to the high-end and one closer to the low-end (Alvarez/Chafin/Clippard/Colome/Doolittle/O'Day/Hunter/Jeffress/Kela/Kintzler/McGee/Melancon/Petit/Rosenthal/Soria/Tepera/Watson/Wilson/Workman)

- a defensive first OF who can back CF and split RF with Ward or Schebler (Almora Jr/DeShields/Dyson/Gamel/Goodwin/Marisnick/Maybin)

12 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Odorizzi, Rosenthal, and Pillar would cost less than Bauer alone for 2021.

Rosenthal was lights out in 2020, after a four year period that saw a small number of innings.

23.2 innings, 1.90 ERA, 0.84 WHIP, only two HRs allowed, 38/8 Ks/BBs

I think Pillar might get more than people think because he's the next best CF option on the FA market after Bradley Jr and at least 3 teams could use CF's: BOS, HOU, and NYM.

But, I'd be thrilled with those moves if they did them to finish off the offseason, pending Odorizzi's contract.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I'd love that as well.

I think, to finish off the offseason, they add:

- a mid-tier FA starter (Archer/Odorizzi/Paxton/Porcello/Tanaka/Walker)

- 1-2 mid-tier relievers maybe one closer to the high-end and one closer to the low-end (Alvarez/Chafin/Clippard/Colome/Doolittle/O'Day/Hunter/Jeffress/Kela/Kintzler/McGee/Melancon/Petit/Rosenthal/Soria/Tepera/Watson/Wilson/Workman)

- a defensive first OF who can back CF and split RF with Ward or Schebler (Almora Jr/DeShields/Dyson/Gamel/Goodwin/Marisnick/Maybin)

JBJ?

22 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

JBJ?

I think he's gonna cost more than the Angels will want to pay, same with Pillar. The Red Sox, Astros, and Mets are among the teams in need of a center fielder and Bradley Jr and Pillar are the only real "everyday" options in CF available in free agency.

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I think he's gonna cost more than the Angels will want to pay, same with Pillar. The Red Sox, Astros, and Mets are among the teams in need of a center fielder and Bradley Jr and Pillar are the only real "everyday" options in CF available in free agency.

Which decent FA OFers who can also play CF are left, other than Pederson, JBJ, and Pillar, and would only cost some $4-5 million tops?

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Which decent FA OFers who can also play CF are left, other than Pederson, JBJ, and Pillar, and would only cost some $4-5 million tops?

Albert Almora, Delino DeShields Jr, Jarrod Dyson, Ben Gamel, Brian Goodwin Jake Marisnick, Cameron, Maybin, and Tyler Naquin.

Most of those guys are defense first with very minimal offensive impact. Gamel, Goodwin, and Naquin probably have the most offensive upside of those guys, but they are probably also the worst three defenders.

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Get Bauer.

You can trade for a reliever mid-season if necessary (ditto RF), once you've assessed where you are. Stability for multiple years at the top of the rotation is much harder to acquire mid-season and will cost more than we will want to pay.

Yup. 
Plus, RF depth of Ward, Adell, Schebler