• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season ?

kevinb

Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season ?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season?

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I’m just not someone who plays the victim card and saying his career is being wasted is just pretending that he’s a victim or that us fans are victims.  

Do fans actually feel bad for themselves because their team sucks? It’s more just feeling embarrassed for the players that they are so bad. If the fans had control we’d win the series every year. I don’t feel bad for Trout at all. He will be fine, but his career is being wasted. 

That’s an interesting spin that I’ve never heard before though. Nice. 

3 minutes ago, robblin17 said:

Do fans actually feel bad for themselves because their team sucks? It’s more just feeling embarrassed for the players that they are so bad. If the fans had control we’d win the series every year. I don’t feel bad for Trout at all. He will be fine, but his career is being wasted. 

That’s an interesting spin that I’ve never heard before though. Nice. 

Like I said there was never this thought process with other greats being wasted.  So that’s the actual spin.  The thought process used to be, “it sucks Griffey never won”.  It wasn’t Griffey’s career was wasted.   So call mine spin but in reality it’s the other way around. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Like I said there was never this thought process with other greats being wasted.  So that’s the actual spin.  The thought process used to be, “it sucks Griffey never won”.  It wasn’t Griffey’s career was wasted.   So call mine spin but in reality it’s the other way around. 

Is there any way to actually prove this? Seems like a narrative to support your position. 

But even then, all those guys made the playoffs more than Trout has up until this point and Trout is better. 

Edited by robblin17

Just now, robblin17 said:

Is there any way to actually prove this? Seems like a narrative to support your position. 

Sure go back and read newspaper articles or editorials.  Don’t you remember all the “Best quarterback never to win a Super Bowl”.  It wasn’t the best quarterback that had his career wasted.  Or “Bonds is the greatest to never win”.  It wasn’t about him being cheated or how his talent was wasted.   This is a fan driven narrative.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Sure go back and read newspaper articles or editorials.  Don’t you remember all the “Best quarterback never to win a Super Bowl”.  It wasn’t the best quarterback that had his career wasted.  Or “Bonds is the greatest to never win”.  It wasn’t about him being cheated or how his talent was wasted.   This is a fan driven narrative.  

Okay. You’re the one that knows it all! 

5 hours ago, Torridd said:

I do believe the reason is how many players there are, so I would liken baseball to football. It's much harder in those sports to organize a winning team so it would be more likely to field a championship around your superstars. In that vein, I don't think Trout's years have been wasted.

Would you say Barry Sanders career was wasted?

In truth, probably the best path for us moving forward is to move on from Eppler once this season ends and hire someone from either the Dodgers or the Rays.

The thing we greatly lack, IMO, isn't so much that we need THIS player or THAT player, but rather, we are missing the infrastructure that those teams have that builds a long-term, sustainable, winning team.  The Dodgers, Rays, and probably now the Giants (Farhan's influence) are great at draft, developing, and finding talent, such that they don't really need to rely on signing a bunch of players to be successful.

Look at the Giants, who we just faced - Yaz, Slater, Solano.  Who are these guys?  The Giants found them in the dumpster bin, and Yaz/Solano have been two of baseball's greatest players this year, in terms of fWAR.  The Giants may not be good this year, but Zaidi inherited an absolute mess.  Their farm is much better, most of their big contracts are about to expire, and they have young kids who are playing very, very well.

We need a President of Baseball Operations who has that same vision and comes from the "Friedman tree," so to speak.  We have some fantastic pieces in place, but we need considerably more help, and we really do need to build a much better farm system.

I feel bad for Eppler, because he did inherit a bit of a mess, but my feeling is he's just average at what he does, and at this point, I'm ready to move on to someone who can build a winner today, tomorrow, and into the future.  

This organization is truly and utterly hopeless. It starts from the top, and since the individual at the top is accountable to no one, nothing will change. 

"hire someone from either the Dodgers or the Rays."

They did. They hired Eppler from the Yankees, arguably the best team in the AL. They hired Maddon from the Cubs, the team with the second best record in the NL and the Rays before that. They hired Callaway from the Indians and Mets, who both had great rotations.

They're doing what they're supposed to be doing and the team in turn is worse than Taco Bell diarrhea. Talent comes here to die. They should trade every good player on this team out of simple dignity, but they don't even have that. It's embarrassing and uncomfortable to neutral fans to watch this battered wife of an organization continue to cry and self-loathe its way through each and every season. Even the Mariners and their fans feel awkward witnessing this. 

6 hours ago, Redondo said:

He's in the Padres organization correct?

What makes you think he would be a good GM?

Bums background, the architect behind the Bums and Padres top-notch farm systems over the past decade

https://www.mlb.com/padres/team/front-office/logan-white

Could be what the Halos have missed since Stoneman.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

This organization is truly and utterly hopeless. It starts from the top, and since the individual at the top is accountable to no one, nothing will change. 

"hire someone from either the Dodgers or the Rays."

They did. They hired Eppler from the Yankees, arguably the best team in the AL. They hired Maddon from the Cubs, the team with the second best record in the NL and the Rays before that. They hired Callaway from the Indians and Mets, who both had great rotations.

They're doing what they're supposed to be doing and the team in turn is worse than Taco Bell diarrhea. Talent comes here to die. They should trade every good player on this team out of simple dignity, but they don't even have that. It's embarrassing and uncomfortable to neutral fans to watch this battered wife of an organization continue to cry and self-loathe its way through each and every season. Even the Mariners and their fans feel awkward witnessing this. 

I would say the Yankees "tree" is not nearly as impressive as Friedman's (or Beane's).  Friedman, Zaidi, Beane, etc came from teams where they built perennial contenders despite having very limited funds.  Obviously both Friedman and Zaidi have moved onto teams that do have payroll, but their creativity and cleverness is clear, and they're showing what happens when you combine their creativity with significant financial resources.

Poaching from Cashman's "tree" isn't as impressive because the Yankees have always been a top 3 team in terms of financial resources, making it (generally speaking) easier to field a winning team.  Nothing against Cashman, as I think he's good at his job, but he is nowhere near as good as Friedman, Beane, or Zaidi, IMO.  

The key thing is the ability to both find undervalued talent AND utilize advanced metrics to facilitate player development.  The Dodgers, Rays, A's, and likely soon the Giants are the leaders when it comes to essentially getting the most out of a player's abilities.  They're consistently ranked at the top of player development, and those are the types of guys we need leading our FO - those who come from very strong player development backgrounds.  We have several stars on this team, but we desperately need to find ways to properly develop young talent, as well as find the Chris Taylors, Max Muncys, Mike Yaztremskis, etc.