• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season ?

kevinb

Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season ?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season?

2 minutes ago, Torridd said:

No.

I would disagree with you. Guy was the most talented RB and got shafted because his organization was awful. Couldn't put anything around him that was worth anything. We got short changed Barry Sanders because he was over it in Detroit. Similar to Megatron we got short changed because Detroit is a dumpster fire of an organization. 

16 hours ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

This organization is truly and utterly hopeless. It starts from the top, and since the individual at the top is accountable to no one, nothing will change. 

"hire someone from either the Dodgers or the Rays."

They did. They hired Eppler from the Yankees, arguably the best team in the AL. They hired Maddon from the Cubs, the team with the second best record in the NL and the Rays before that. They hired Callaway from the Indians and Mets, who both had great rotations.

They're doing what they're supposed to be doing and the team in turn is worse than Taco Bell diarrhea. Talent comes here to die. They should trade every good player on this team out of simple dignity, but they don't even have that. It's embarrassing and uncomfortable to neutral fans to watch this battered wife of an organization continue to cry and self-loathe its way through each and every season. Even the Mariners and their fans feel awkward witnessing this. 

i'm sorry to be so critical, and i really do understand the frustration, but you just totally went off the rails here. you had a decent point going with the yankees/maddon/callaway talk, but then you just collapsed into potentially suicidal drivel about dignity and battered wives only to close with mariner fans.

we're all universally upset, but try to keep your coffee in the cup.

On 8/20/2020 at 8:50 PM, robblin17 said:

Is there any way to actually prove this? Seems like a narrative to support your position. 

But even then, all those guys made the playoffs more than Trout has up until this point and Trout is better. 

i already said that they said this very thing about gwynn, but he doesn't believe it. so, you know.

i already made the point about "wasted" being more about never/almost never making the playoffs, than it is specifically about winning a championship. i don't think it was ever acknowledged.

they're saying the same things about trout that they said about gwynn and others. maybe they don't always use the exact word "wasted", but it's always implied. stuff about major markets, contenders, etc.

7 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i already said that they said this very thing about gwynn, but he doesn't believe it. so, you know.

i already made the point about "wasted" being more about never/almost never making the playoffs, than it is specifically about winning a championship. i don't think it was ever acknowledged.

they're saying the same things about trout that they said about gwynn and others. maybe they don't always use the exact word "wasted", but it's always implied. stuff about major markets, contenders, etc.

I always remember it being more of it being sad that he hasn’t won it, but never that he was being wasted.  Granted I am only 49 years old and pay pretty close attention to this stuff for the last 40 or so years.  So its possible, but man I listened to Mighty 690 all day everyday from the late 80’s until the late 90’s.  I don’t remember callers calling in and saying Gwynn was being wasted.  You can say you remember it and who am I to tell you you are wrong.  I am just telling you that I paid pretty damn close attention to sports before life got busy with being married and kids and a career.  I don’t remember that about Griffey either.  Or Bonds.  Sure those two made the playoffs, but it wasn’t a career is being wasted story.  It was more about really good players that didn’t win one.  

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

I always remember it being more of it being sad that he hasn’t won it, but never that he was being wasted.  Granted I am only 49 years old and pay pretty close attention to this stuff for the last 40 or so years.  So its possible, but man I listened to Mighty 690 all day everyday from the late 80’s until the late 90’s.  I don’t remember callers calling in and saying Gwynn was being wasted.  You can say you remember it and who am I to tell you you are wrong.  I am just telling you that I paid pretty damn close attention to sports before life got busy with being married and kids and a career.  I don’t remember that about Griffey either.  Or Bonds.  Sure those two made the playoffs, but it wasn’t a career is being wasted story.  It was more about really good players that didn’t win one.  

Gwynn did get to experience two different WS (1984 and 1998).   Just ran into two of the most dominant single season teams of the 20th century.

Concur though that Trout can’t do anything about how the team is constructed, just play his game and mentor the younger players.

Edited by Angel Oracle

5 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

Rosenthal, in his most recent article, had this to say about Eppler:

https://t.co/2gQveDIp90?amp=1

image.thumb.png.be0b1bbffc368511a01d30dc07edaaa3.png

Wow. Interesting. Kind of sucks though because I was hoping we might be able to take advantage of some desperate teams like Rosenthal mentioned in the article. I don’t see why Eppler would be allowed to make any moves if he is about to be shit canned. 

1 hour ago, bloodbrother said:

If true, not sure how you let him sell any pieces at the deadline. They really gonna want him making trades just to let him walk a month later?

^^^^^   Not a good situation, if true that he is on the way out....

On 8/21/2020 at 6:30 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Bums background, the architect behind the Bums and Padres top-notch farm systems over the past decade

https://www.mlb.com/padres/team/front-office/logan-white

Could be what the Halos have missed since Stoneman.

Thanks for the input.

Interesting to take a look at for sure.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Gwynn did get to experience two different WS (1984 and 1998).   Just ran into two of the most dominant single season teams of the 20th century.

Concur though that Trout can’t do anything about how the team is constructed, just play his game and mentor the younger players.

As fans we assume that all players want to win championships. I'm sure they all want to win but it's more important to some players than others. For some it's just about getting paid and having a nice home for their family.

Trout could have gone anywhere but he chose to stay in Orange County. You have to figure that he made that choice not because the Angels are likely to be a perennial powerhouse but because he likes the area and they made him a great offer.

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

As fans we assume that all players want to win championships. I'm sure they all want to win but it's more important to some players than others. For some it's just about getting paid and having a nice home for their family.

Trout could have gone anywhere but he chose to stay in Orange County. You have to figure that he made that choice not because the Angels are likely to be a perennial powerhouse but because he likes the area and they made him a great offer.

Definitely agree. Trout wants to win, but I don’t think winning is #1 on his list of priorities when considering where to play. 

His loyalty also  played a big factor in his decision. The Angels picked him, they made him a great offer, he loves things the aspects of playing with the Angels outside of the game (who wouldn’t), the sell on “contending” was good enough with up and comers like Adell, etc. It was probably a pretty smooth deal. 

7 hours ago, NrM said:

So what does Eppler even do if he knows it's his last season?  Probably nothing?

3 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

If true, not sure how you let him sell any pieces at the deadline. They really gonna want him making trades just to let him walk a month later?

Exactly why I doubt they make any moves at all. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Yep, Gwynn got to play his whole career in the city he attended college in (SDSU), and only 100 miles from where he grew up (LB).

3 hours ago, robblin17 said:

Definitely agree. Trout wants to win, but I don’t think winning is #1 on his list of priorities when considering where to play. 

His loyalty also  played a big factor in his decision. The Angels picked him, they made him a great offer, he loves things the aspects of playing with the Angels outside of the game (who wouldn’t), the sell on “contending” was good enough with up and comers like Adell, etc. It was probably a pretty smooth deal. 

Wasn’t he the only first rounder that was present at the 2009 draft?

7 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

6 hours ago, robblin17 said:

Wow. Interesting. Kind of sucks though because I was hoping we might be able to take advantage of some desperate teams like Rosenthal mentioned in the article. I don’t see why Eppler would be allowed to make any moves if he is about to be shit canned. 

He'll likely sell and try to convince Arte that he has the pieces from selling to acquire the pitchers we need to get us competing next year.  Whether Arte buys it is another thing.

3 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

He'll likely sell and try to convince Arte that he has the pieces from selling to acquire the pitchers we need to get us competing next year.  Whether Arte buys it is another thing.

Hopefully he doesn't become desperate and sell off valuable pieces for quick fix arms. 

While Eppler has not made a ton of in season trades and I am quite sure not enough for a lot of people around here including myself, the ones he has made have all been solid when he is basically selling.

Kinsler for Buttrey, no issue with that one.

Maldonado for Sandoval, pretty damn good.

When he bought mid season, he got us Stassi that initially everyone hated, but seems that most have come around now that he has hit a bit.

So now he has pieces he could trade, he has La Stella, Simmons and Castro on expiring contracts.  He has Bundy and Goodwin that have 1-2 years of control.  

I personally would hold on to Bundy unless you get an offer you can’t refuse, which to me would be a couple of Sandovals with maybe more of a proven track record.  

Additionally I don’t think it is in Eppler’s nature to make desperation moves in an effort to keep his job.  He has never come across as desperate.  I will also say if you see a bold trade, like a trade that includes Adell or Fletcher then I think that is an indication that Eppler is coming back.  

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

While Eppler has not made a ton of in season trades and I am quite sure not enough for a lot of people around here including myself, the ones he has made have all been solid when he is basically selling.

Kinsler for Buttrey, no issue with that one.

Maldonado for Sandoval, pretty damn good.

When he bought mid season, he got us Stassi that initially everyone hated, but seems that most have come around now that he has hit a bit.

So now he has pieces he could trade, he has La Stella, Simmons and Castro on expiring contracts.  He has Bundy and Goodwin that have 1-2 years of control.  

I personally would hold on to Bundy unless you get an offer you can’t refuse, which to me would be a couple of Sandovals with maybe more of a proven track record.  

Additionally I don’t think it is in Eppler’s nature to make desperation moves in an effort to keep his job.  He has never come across as desperate.  I will also say if you see a bold trade, like a trade that includes Adell or Fletcher then I think that is an indication that Eppler is coming back.  

I agree with all of this until your last bit.  While you're right that he's never come across as desperate, it could easily because he never truly felt like his job is in jeopardy.  For the first time in his tenure, it actually is now.  It could easily change his approach to this deadline.

14 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

I agree with all of this until your last bit.  While you're right that he's never come across as desperate, it could easily because he never truly felt like his job is in jeopardy.  For the first time in his tenure, it actually is now.  It could easily change his approach to this deadline.

It won’t.  He’s never been an emotional decision maker, he’s analytical.  He was the guy Cashman went to give that kind of input.  Also I’m pretty sure he had an option year in his contract for this year (2020) and he never made a desperation move. 

26 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Was Stassi a cheater when he was on the Astros?