• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season ?

kevinb

Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season ?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season?

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Your opinion, I think most Angels fans have seen and had enough. 

The bottom line is in the results, and it hasn't been pretty. 

This

They are actually as bad now, if not worse, than they were in 2016.   No progress in the W/L record at any point

Edited by Angel Oracle

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

He should have done better with his mid tier pitching acquisitions.  But no, 5 years isn’t enough time to completely rebuild a franchise. 

Completely rebuild a franchise? His job is to win games at the major league level on top of other things. Arte clearly doesn’t want to go full blown rebuild with Trout around. So you’re once again going above and beyond to make excuses for Eppler. 

Eppler is a 1st time GM. He has ZERO winning seasons in 5 seasons. That’s awful.

How many other first time GM’s are given a pass after 5 consecutive losing seasons out of the gate? Can’t imagine that list is very long. Add in the fact he’s had Trout the entire time, there’s truly no defending him. 

All offseason Eppler was drilled with questions about pitching. His solution was Bundy and Teheran. These two were his answers to the rotation going into his 5th season. Keuchel was the biggest no brainer this off season and was available for some time. The guy needs to go or like I said last year, we’ll be having this very same discussion next year.

6 hours ago, Brandon said:

Side note, I'll fight anyone about Miguel's.

Carnitas are so down the list they shouldn't count, but they did have some weird spicy ones that were really good for someone that isn't that into pork.

It’s funny because my initial thought when Lou said he didn’t care for Miguel’s was”Brandon is going to take exception with that opinion” and yes I tried the fiery carnitas tacos and they were good.  I’ve been going there for 30 plus years and I’ve probably only had five or six different things. 

8 hours ago, ukyah said:

i don't know if i believe either yes or no, but i definitely can understand this post. i wouldn't be shocked if he's out, but i'd be terrified of who arte brings in. carpino isn't going anywhere imo.

until arte gets real on letting someone from the friedman tree start building a baseball systems tree, i just don't see it happening here in any sustained way. i hate to be defeatist, but it just seems like too many things have gone wrong for too long.

it's shocking that a team spending this much money can be this bad.

Yeah it seems like every incremental change made inexplicably makes the team worse. We could probably trade for Beiber, Flaherty, Cole, and Verlander and go 12-148 next year

8 hours ago, Kevinb said:

Yes they were wasted. It’s not saying they weren’t great because they were. But they didn’t put a championship team around them and that’s being wasted. You can say the same thing for numerous other great players. Winning is what matters. If you don’t put a great team around your best guy you’re wasting his career. Think LeBron and his first time in Cleveland. 

There is no narrative that Williams or Griffey or Bonds Or Gwynn careers were wasted.  They just never won a championship.  We ALL want to see The Angels win a championship but the notion he’s being wronged or his career was wasted is some victim narrative that didn’t exist years ago.  

4 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

Completely rebuild a franchise? His job is to win games at the major league level on top of other things. Arte clearly doesn’t want to go full blown rebuild with Trout around. So you’re once again going above and beyond to make excuses for Eppler. 

Eppler is a 1st time GM. He has ZERO winning seasons in 5 seasons. That’s awful.

How many other first time GM’s are given a pass after 5 consecutive losing seasons out of the gate? Can’t imagine that list is very long. Add in the fact he’s had Trout the entire time, there’s truly no defending him. 

All offseason Eppler was drilled with questions about pitching. His solution was Bundy and Teheran. These two were his answers to the rotation going into his 5th season. Keuchel was the biggest no brainer this off season and was available for some time. The guy needs to go or like I said last year, we’ll be having this very same discussion next year.

How does one get a team to contend when there is no farm at all, and no money to spend?  Also, you have a glut of arms that you're counting on and are all broken?     That's essentially Angels baseball 2016-2018.

It really doesnt matter what chances or circumstances other GM's were faced with -- Eppler need only be judged for the situation he walked into.   A team without a farm system, no starting 2B, 3B, C, or LFer.   Multiple SPs out for the year with TJ surgery and oh yeah, a pen that had been a mess since 2012 when the previous GM was brought in to fix that ONE thing -- the pen.   Dipoto inherited a team with three top 100 prospects, financial freedom, a 102 OPS+ offense, a 106 ERA+ pitching staff, and left a mess in his wake.

You can almost guarantee that had it been Eppler hired and not JD in 2012 this franchise is singing a significantly different tune right now.   He's not won shit but he wont be leaving a mess behind him if he's canned.

12 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

His contract is up after this year right? With how this season is going, he probably won't be back. I'm terrified of the thought of Arte bringing Dombrowski in as GM

Tony LaRussa knows Dombrowski.  I suspect that LaRussa would not have a favorable recommendation for Dombrowski.  I am not worried about Dombrowski.

11 hours ago, Jason said:

Can they get worse?

Yes.  More importantly, they can get better!

10 hours ago, robblin17 said:

Bingo. Arte cares about his 3M fans and his development deal. He’s a shitty owner, but to the casual Angel fan or the nutswingers, he’s not the problem because he spends money! 

It sounds like you want a trust fund baseball team to play with.   How millennial.

10 hours ago, Stradling said:

GOOD

Vlad

Hunter

Trout extension one

Trout extension two

Rendon

BAD

Wells

Hamilton

Albert

Upton 

So 5 or 9

Who knew Albert would be bad for 95% of his contracted time?  Lots of people predicted his contract would hurt at the end, but no one predicted it would hurt from the beginning.  And, who knew Upton could be this bad, this quickly.

10 hours ago, RendZone said:

Eppler is so screwed if Upton doesn’t rebound and Arte has to watch another $50M giveaway. It was a very bad idea to give Upton that contract. 

I assume you understand the idea behind gambling?  You have to place your bet before the event, and there is never a sure thing. 

9 hours ago, Lou said:

I had carnitas for dinner. 

I had carne asada.

12 hours ago, rafibomb said:

There was a discussion in the gameday thread but I'll put my thoughts here as well. Going into this shortened season, I thought the only way Eppler's job would be in jeopardy is if the team performance was a catastrophic disaster. On paper I thought there way no way in hell that would happen. Fast forward to today and here we are. Eppler's job is in jeopardy. I'm a huge Eppler guy and even I think his job might be in jeopardy. I do feel for him though and feel like the team is letting him down. On paper this team is good enough to at least hover around .500. I didn't see Upton sucking this bad and Ohtani regressing the way he has.

I understand everything you said but I still dont know how people were so optimistic about the season going into it with this pitching staff. Everyone was a big "what if". Ohtani was our best and he has not even proven anything at this level. Everyone else is no better than a number 3-4 starter which means they are .500 on average and can swing either way above or below that mark. This year is the first year we've drafted any pitcher considered a good prospect (my opinion) since Weaver. 

Just to remind everyone,  the horrific start is really the continuation of the horrific end to last season.  This team is exactly the same as at the one at end of last season, just with Rendon at third, Castro at C, and Adell in RF.

Just now, eligrba said:

Just to remind everyone,  the horrific start is really the continuation of the horrific end to last season.  This team is exactly the same as at the one at end of last season, just with Rendon at third, Castro at C, and Adell in RF.

I disagree.  There is just too many different faces for this to be the case.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Well if he’s not going to be back then simply fire him now.  Or else you have someone making or not making trades that won’t be here in the future. 

I don't think there will be many trades to be made at the deadline....not much market for a rental (Simmons) and nobody else makes much sense to trade now....firing Eppler now means an interim making or not making trades....Stoneman did that after DiPoto quit in 2015....he was fine, we made a couple of small trades....otherwise, not sure an interim in charge is any better....not sure I want an interim messing things up....

4 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

Extending Trout shouldn’t automatically be assumed to be a good thing. Extending him is detrimental to the team in the long run. If they cared about building a competitive team they would have traded him years ago. If they had the Angels would probably now be entering as a World Series contender for years to come. Instead we get to watch Trout hit solo home time on one of the worst teams in baseball for the foreseeable future. 

You are free to be on the side of signing Trout to an extension is a bad thing.  I will be on the other side.