• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season ?

kevinb

Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season ?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season?

9 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Just wait until someone takes the time to really evaluate the future of the franchise’s chances at playing in the postseason and realizes that it sure would be nice to live closer to the grandparents.

I just witnessed the birth of a new narrative!!

I need to find my field notebook....I will need pictures, measurements.....I can almost touch the Nobel Medal....I must begin preparing for my acceptance speech.....

Another thought is, just how much does Carpino know about baseball?    Teams are going more to having a president of operations and a GM, and Carpino doesn't strike me as any more than a business guy.  

If only Arte would bring in a true baseball operations guy and let him be in charge, and ONLY approve contracts and not initiate them, then maybe things would start to get better?  

35 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Just to remind everyone,  the horrific start is really the continuation of the horrific end to last season.  This team is exactly the same as at the one at end of last season, just with Rendon at third, Castro at C, and Adell in RF.

lol that's 3/8 of the the starters on the field.  That's nowhere near being the same team. 

12 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I just witnessed the birth of a new narrative!!

I need to find my field notebook....I will need pictures, measurements.....I can almost touch the Nobel Medal....I must begin preparing for my acceptance speech.....

I realized that Chuck must get revenue that is based on the volume of narratives.

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Another thought is, just how much does Carpino know about baseball?    Teams are going more to having a president of operations and a GM, and Carpino doesn't strike me as any more than a business guy.  

If only Arte would bring in a true baseball operations guy and let him be in charge, and ONLY approve contracts and not initiate them, then maybe things would start to get better?  

Carpino doesn't need to know that much about baseball, just how to run a business operation. That is the framework of his job, not day to day operations, the farm system, drafts, or even player aquisitions, his job is principal executive in charge of business operations. 

Arte brought in LaRussa as a sepcial assistant but Eppler truly is in charge of most baseball operations. Other teams that have a President of Operations are usually GM's kicked upstairs, a level of management the Angels don't employ. Which in a way cuts out a lot of red tape to get deals passed on to Moreno directly. It also puts sole responsiblity on the GM for his decisions and there is less fighting over philosophy of drafts, coaching staffs, player aquisitions. 

I don't think that adding one more tier of oversight is going to improve the team.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

It’s funny because my initial thought when Lou said he didn’t care for Miguel’s was”Brandon is going to take exception with that opinion” and yes I tried the fiery carnitas tacos and they were good.  I’ve been going there for 30 plus years and I’ve probably only had five or six different things. 

Funny thing is I thought the first time I mentioned it however many years ago he said he liked it then turned into not liking it.

When I moved to OC over five years ago I was bummed I had to go to Newport or Orange for Miguel's. Then they built one down the street. I remember going there and something was different or wrong. I asked them to change it and the person said something like, "This is how we always do it" and I said something to the effect of, "No, I grew up in Corona and have been eating here over 20 years." It could be it was just a new location with a crew that didn't know or care.

I'm the same. I can eat that bean, rice, and cheese everyday (actually did for 23 or 24 days in a row for lunch). I pretty much just get the burrito and a chicken taco. When they introduced the breakfast menu was a bit of a game changer.

Glad you liked the fiery carnitas. I got the text message from them about those but never went to try them.

Side note, since you are in Norco. One of my first jobs out of high school was at the LA Fitness there on either Main or Hamner (it's really right where it goes from Corona to Norco and changes). I used to eat at that Miguel's across the street all the time. I remember when the bean, rice, and cheese burrito was $2.04 and now it's $4 or $5.....not sure these days. But I used to have exact change for that or the few menu items I liked.

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Funny thing is I thought the first time I mentioned it however many years ago he said he liked it then turned into not liking it.

When I moved to OC over five years ago I was bummed I had to go to Newport or Orange for Miguel's. Then they built one down the street. I remember going there and something was different or wrong. I asked them to change it and the person said something like, "This is how we always do it" and I said something to the effect of, "No, I grew up in Corona and have been eating here over 20 years." It could be it was just a new location with a crew that didn't know or care.

I'm the same. I can eat that bean, rice, and cheese everyday (actually did for 23 or 24 days in a row for lunch). I pretty much just get the burrito and a chicken taco. When they introduced the breakfast menu was a bit of a game changer.

Glad you liked the fiery carnitas. I got the text message from them about those but never went to try them.

Side note, since you are in Norco. One of my first jobs out of high school was at the LA Fitness there on either Main or Hamner (it's really right where it goes from Corona to Norco and changes). I used to eat at that Miguel's across the street all the time. I remember when the bean, rice, and cheese burrito was $2.04 and now it's $4 or $5.....not sure these days. But I used to have exact change for that or the few menu items I liked.

Watch This Look Here GIF by Paul McCartney - Find & Share on GIPHY

Plus, I somehow got hooked on the Chile Relleno burrito. 

9 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Yea, I went to that Miguels yesterday.  They have a new one that is actually closer to the house but I was on my way back from Riverside and drove through the one you are talking about.  My go to is taquitos, shredded beef tacos and the cheese enchiladas.  Sometimes I would go with the green chili pork burrito.  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea, I went to that Miguels yesterday.  They have a new one that is actually closer to the house but I was on my way back from Riverside and drove through the one you are talking about.  My go to is taquitos, shredded beef tacos and the cheese enchiladas.  Sometimes I would go with the green chili pork burrito.  

Nice. Glad it's still there and also that they have newer locations. I remember living close to the "Miguel's mansion" while growing up out there and thought they could do well and have grown slowly and proper. I respect the business model, from what I've seen.

I got introduced to taquitos at the Alberto's (or whatever that same named joint is that sometimes is changed by a letter or two) in Riverside on the corner of Arlington and I think Magnolia, but they put sour cream instead of guacamole...game changer.

I do like the taquitos, but the Jew in me has an issue with three taquitos for $5 or $6. The enchiladas have always been a solid go to. When I was asked where I want to go for my birthday I would say Miguel's and get the enchilada plate.

The cantinas are pretty cool, too. I used to go to both the one off the 91 and the one at Dos Lagos off the 15. Started working for a company out here a couple years back that has the same here in Foothill Ranch. I would talk with the higher ups that new about the original spots and Corona over some Clase Azul tequila.

I'd say its 50-50. I know that's a cop-out answer, but I can see Arte going either way.

In the end, results are what matter - and as zenmaster said, Eppler's plan continues to be N+2. We're always looking at next year, or the year after that. At some point Billy has to put together a team that is actually competitive, not just "will be competitive soon."

But he might also get the "Covid pass." This is an unpredictable season. 

I just wanted to add while I think Eppler is more than likely gone (if the Angels continue to play the way they have been), I don't think he is to blame.

In recent years, the Angels have had three different managers and two different GMs.  For the most part during that time, the Angels have been an under .500 team.

So lets see....GMs change, managers change, many players change and the result is always below average.

The one constant is Arte.  I believe he is the biggest issue this team has and until he is gone or he decides to stop interfering with the GMs job, this team will be below average.

1 hour ago, RendZone said:

Watching the NYY / TB and they were talking about the Angels having huge stars like Trout, Pujols, Upton, Simmons and they never win. Lol everyone is taking notice apparently.

So I guess if everyone is noticing is now a fact then I guess Upton and Albert are still huge stars.  That’s good to hear. 

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

There is no narrative that Williams or Griffey or Bonds Or Gwynn careers were wasted.  They just never won a championship.  We ALL want to see The Angels win a championship but the notion he’s being wronged or his career was wasted is some victim narrative that didn’t exist years ago.  

I don't know why you keep using the word narrative. But the people who were great who didn't get the chance to win a title, were definitely short changed and their primes were wasted. We don't know what the future holds for the Angels or for Mike. But not putting a championship roster around Mike Trout is a disservice. Him being in the playoffs 1 time in his HOF career is plain silly. We are currently not doing right by Mike Trout. Do I think it is on purpose no, they are trying to do the best they can to put a winning ball club around him. They are failing miserably at the moment, but I know they are trying. To be an all time great is to win a championship the ultimate prize. I know we disagree on this subject so there's no point in arguing. I have my beliefs you have yours. Winning matters and it's the only reason you play a sport, to compete and to win. Losing happens sure but if your goal isn't to win the game you're doing it wrong. And right now the Angels are doing it wrong. 

1 minute ago, Kevinb said:

I don't know why you keep using the word narrative. But the people who were great who didn't get the chance to win a title, were definitely short changed and their primes were wasted. We don't know what the future holds for the Angels or for Mike. But not putting a championship roster around Mike Trout is a disservice. Him being in the playoffs 1 time in his HOF career is plain silly. We are currently not doing right by Mike Trout. Do I think it is on purpose no, they are trying to do the best they can to put a winning ball club around him. They are failing miserably at the moment, but I know they are trying. To be an all time great is to win a championship the ultimate prize. I know we disagree on this subject so there's no point in arguing. I have my beliefs you have yours. Winning matters and it's the only reason you play a sport, to compete and to win. Losing happens sure but if your goal isn't to win the game you're doing it wrong. And right now the Angels are doing it wrong. 

Ok

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

AO.

Any ideas on who you would recommend?

25 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So I guess if everyone is noticing is now a fact then I guess Upton and Albert are still huge stars.  That’s good to hear. 

I wonder if they noticed the Yankees and Angels have won the same number of WS titles this century..... One, which is one more than the Rays.  I mean, it's all about the rings according to Yankee fans, right? Btw, TB.  Same number of playoff appearances since 2014 as the Angels...  One. 

Much fun! Many laughs!