• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season ?

kevinb

Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season ?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Will Eppler be employed by the Angels next season?

Just now, Stradling said:

Well if you aren’t going to count Trout’s extensions then you can’t count Upton. 

He could technically count, because he was only acquired a month before possibly opting out after 2017. 

My point being, you need good scouting to have more successful FA or trade acquisitions.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

He could technically count, because he was only acquired a month before possibly opting out after 2017. 

My point being, you need good scouting to have more successful FA or trade acquisitions.

Just be consistent.  They were both on the team. 

2 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Our 3rd base situation was garbage for like the past 10 years

I’m not saying I dislike the Rendon signing at all. I really like it a lot, but we still have the same glaring issue we’ve always had that we have failed to address over and over again. Hopefully we won’t fail to address it again because we have $100M+ dumped into four position players (Pujols, Upton, Rendon, Trout). 

4 minutes ago, robblin17 said:

Counting Trout’s extensions doesn’t really make sense and it’s too early on Rendon. I like that deal, but who knows with players over 30. We know how that goes. We were mostly happy with the Upton extension as well.  

Trying to spin Arte’s “big splash” signings into anything but catastrophic is pretty funny. 

He spent big money 9 times. Trout is two of them.  Like it or not it’s the truth.  Sorry it doesn’t fit the narrative.  

Ok.  But at least adding Trout makes it more honest and accurate. 

Whatever fits your spin! Trout was a no-brainer signing. A monkey for a GM would’ve re-signed Trout. All of the others actually required analysis of a player that wasn’t your own or an all time great. Come on. 

Just now, robblin17 said:

Whatever fits your spin! Trout was a no-brainer signing. A monkey for a GM would’ve re-signed Trout. All of the others actually required analysis of a player that wasn’t your own or an all time great. Come on. 

Ok so no brainers mean no credit, got it.  Just be honest.  

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Eppler has had plenty of time to fix this team's issues and hasn't. 

There's no way he's back unless he can flip Bundy, Simmons, Goodwin and maybe even Adell (if it gets us Clevinger/Pleasac) to shore up the pitching and other needs longterm. 

He should have done better with his mid tier pitching acquisitions.  But no, 5 years isn’t enough time to completely rebuild a franchise. 

Lol. Never said that. You can’t see that there is a difference between re-signing one of your own vs. a FA? 

This is about when Arte spent big money.  He did that twice with Trout.  That can’t be left out of the equation unless you want to be dishonest and make it look even worse.  Isn’t it bad enough with Wells, Upton, Albert and Hamilton?   Why can’t you simply tell the entire story?  It doesn’t have to be skewed anymore unless you want it to look worse than it is. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok so no brainers mean no credit, got it.  Just be honest.  

I give credit to Eppler for recruiting and signing Ohtani but there’s no doubt that Arte was all over extending Trout. Eppler probably had little to say about it. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

This is about when Arte spent big money.  He did that twice with Trout.  That can’t be left out of the equation unless you want to be dishonest and make it look even worse.  Isn’t it bad enough with Wells, Upton, Albert and Hamilton?   Why can’t you simply tell the entire story?  It doesn’t have to be skewed anymore unless you want it to look worse than it is. 

Then we are talking about two separate things. I’m talking about FA’s, which I think is a reasonable assumption when someone says big splash signings. Trout was a big $ amount, but it wasn’t as if the Angels resigning him was unexpected. 

@robblin17 this is what I was responding to.  The biggest splash this team has ever made was Trout’s extension.  Their third biggest (after Albert) was Trout’s first extension. 

I guess we need a board wide definition of a big splash then. Also, Trout’s first extension was also when he was under club control. 

I guess we need a board wide definition of a big splash then. Also, Trout’s first extension was also when he was under club control. 

Yes I know.  So was the second.  Go back on this board.   You’ll see a group of people that were convinced he would leave the first chance he could for multiple reasons.  Then he was never going to sign a second extension because Phillies and because Yankees.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes I know.  So was the second.  Go back on this board.   You’ll see a group of people that were convinced he would leave the first chance he could for multiple reasons.  Then he was never going to sign a second extension because Phillies and because Yankees.  

That’s fine. But that wasn’t the case and we know that now. Trout always wanted to be here and if the $ was right, the deal was done. Shit, he probably left some on the table to be here. 

Edited by robblin17

1 minute ago, robblin17 said:

That’s fine. But that wasn’t the case and we know that now. Trout always wanted to be here and if the $ was right, the deal was done. Shit he probably left some on the table to be here. 

Yes.  Which means he trusted Arte and Eppler.