• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Players and Owners far apart

On 5/29/2020 at 2:19 AM, Lou said:

I find it interesting that the amount of money the owners make in other sports is never huge deal.

Lou, I can't speak for anyone else, but I actually don't care how much money the owners make.... for me, it's not about that so much as it's the systematic way they have cheated and abused their position.  At the same time... I get it, in business you exploit whatever you can to get ahead but MLB has always taken it to extremes in regards to how they treated their players.   The player's union always get's ripped as greedy and the sort but they were a necessary evil IMO in light of how ownership had behaved and abused their power..   As far as other sports ownership goes -- I don't know enough about how the NBA or NHL operates to offer an opinion, I know the NFL operates completely differently than MLB, a lot more revenue sharing and pooling of monies but their treatment of players is all the reasoning I've ever needed to be pro MLBPA.   It's pretty much the only union I remotely feel that way about and even with them, their lack of concern for minor leaguers leaves me cold.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Lou, I can't speak for anyone else, but I actually don't care how much money the owners make.... for me, it's not about that so much as it's the systematic way they have cheated and abused their position

I don't care how much they make either. They paid for the organization, they can do as they wish.

Cheated? 

10 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Both sides have a right to make as much money as possible... that's why they're negotiating.

Some think this should be an easy process and it's clearly not. 

I doubt the season will be cancelled. It's just not happening fast enough for the fans.

^^^^^^  I have no problem with negotiating.....just find a way to get it done, find a formula....and relatively soon....

3 hours ago, Lou said:

I don't care how much they make either. They paid for the organization, they can do as they wish.

Cheated? 

Cheated is probably not the best choice of words, but I meant cheated in the sense that they have always found creative ways to claim to be poor while turning huge profits, mostly at the expense of the players who they had complete control over until what, 1972.     Players were taken advantage of for eons, minor league players continue to be and it's pathetic the MLBPA hasn't done more to help them.

Anyway, I don't begrudge the owners or anyone else making money.  But I genuinely believe they have gotten away with more than most.

All I have to say is the owners refuse to share their real financials with anyone other than someone considering buying their team.

Given that, the concept of the owners expecting the players to “be their partner” in accepting a contrived pay structure based on what works for them is absurd.

No.

Either open the real books to create a real partnership with full financial disclosure or propose a simple prorated salary simply adjusted for the number of games this season will have.

But if I were a player or represented the players, any proposal other than a simple prorated salary that doesn’t include full financial transparency is a non starter.

Funny how teams that always cry poor sell for gargantuan profits to the owner after the proposed buyer actually sees the real financials and makes an offer accordingly.

For the first time ever, I really don’t care if there is baseball this year.  Whatever season they come up with, it’s going to be an asterisk season no matter what.

Maybe the silver lining is the owners get forced to make a decision.  Are you “partners” or are you employers?  The owners gotta stop trying to have It both ways.

On 5/30/2020 at 5:25 PM, RendZone said:

I seriously doubt anyone here is feeling sorry for Gerrit Cole right now. 

E7A079D8-C561-4FF9-8D07-57CAA79BB33F.jpeg

I do.  If Cole makes 36 mil, care to guess how much the owner/team makes?  and yet the owners want to make that same amount and ask the players to take massive pay cuts. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mlb-owners-say-they-could-lose-4-billion-even-if-games-are-played-does-that-math-add-up/

20 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I do.  If Cole makes 36 mil, care to guess how much the owner/team makes?  and yet the owners want to make that same amount and ask the players to take massive pay cuts. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/mlb-owners-say-they-could-lose-4-billion-even-if-games-are-played-does-that-math-add-up/

You might want to start a GoFundMe for some of these poor players. 

6 minutes ago, RendZone said:

You might want to start a GoFundMe for some of these poor players. 

Did you even read the article I posted?  They're not poor, but when they were expected to make a certain amount and then asked to take more cuts, when they've already agreed to take a pro-rata share, you wouldn't be mad about it?  Also, if you read the article, a majority of the players don't even get to free agency to receive said contracts.  I get that the players you listed make millions, but do you ever think about how much the owners make without ever taking an at-bat or throwing a pitch?  Yet, you're going after the players for having the audacity to demand to get paid their pro-rata share? 

9 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

Did you even read the article I posted?  They're not poor, but when they were expected to make a certain amount and then asked to take more cuts, when they've already agreed to take a pro-rata share, you wouldn't be mad about it?  Also, if you read the article, a majority of the players don't even get to free agency to receive said contracts.  I get that the players you listed make millions, but do you ever think about how much the owners make without ever taking an at-bat or throwing a pitch?  Yet, you're going after the players for having the audacity to demand to get paid their pro-rata share? 

I’m not going after anybody. I’m already on record saying that I think fan- less baseball is going to suck so I’m good with no baseball until 2021 to avoid watching half- hearted games played by disgruntled players. I’m completely fine with waiting until next spring.