• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Players and Owners far apart

5 hours ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Are the NBA and NHL reducing per-game salaries? I honestly don't know. But from a quick search, it looks like the NBA is basically just prorating.

Those leagues played 75-80% of their season already.  They’ve gotten most of the revenue.  Most tv revenue in sports is for playoff rights.  There’s a MUCH better chance the NBA of NHL will play playoff games thus generating playoff tv revenue.  

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Vegas has it at 5-1 that there will be a season. So I’m guessing they’ll play. 

I would still bet that way but I am not as sure as I have been.  You would think there is too much to lose not to have a season but the old battle lines have been re-drawn and now I'm not as sure....

21 hours ago, Stradling said:

Of course it is about money, at the same time it is about what is right.  No one is playing this game for free.  Once again, forget the zeros and ask yourself if you were really good at your job if you would be willing to do it for 25% of what your value is?  The answer is going to be no, nor should you.  

Many people spend their entire life this way. Particularly for businesses who consider their employees as human capital. 

39 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

A contract is a contract. If the players  and owners can agree on a middle ground that is great, but as much as I want to see baseball, the players are perfectly within their rights to demand full payment or a future benefit.

And the owners are perfectly within their rights to not pay players a full year's salary for a partial season. 

2 hours ago, Turd Ferguson said:

A contract is a contract. If the players  and owners can agree on a middle ground that is great, but as much as I want to see baseball, the players are perfectly within their rights to demand full payment or a future benefit.

https://www.nj.com/yankees/2020/05/yankees-michael-kay-torches-max-scherzer-you-have-not-taken-a-pay-cut-you-have-not-worked.html?outputType=amp

6 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

What I still don’t get is the owners now only wanting to pay the top players 25% for 50% of a full season, when there was an agreement supposedly back in late March to pay the players based on how many games were played.

Per the owners, that deal was contingent on fans being in attendance. No fans = significantly less money. The owners said the deal was never intended to stick if the games are played without fans. The black and white to my understanding could be read either way, but the owners apparently have an email that (although meaningless in a legal sense) shows the union was aware that the owners did not consider that deal final if fans were not allowed to attend.

I don't really think it matters, personally. Based on the system agreed to in the CBA, the players have a right to their full (prorated) salaries. If the owners can prove - which, so far, they've been playing the 'Take my word for it' card - that they are in serious financial distress, I think the higher paid players should accept some deferrals and possibly a small cut, but otherwise it seems to me that the owners are breaking the deal they agreed to because they've decided it no longer works for them. That isn't how contracts work.