• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does this organization value pitching less than every other organization in baseball?

mmc

1 hour ago, Dick B Back said:

Could you imagine us  AW members hanging with Arte talking “stuff” on his yacht?

we'd all be kissing Arte's ass and thanking him up and down.  Not a damn soul would have the balls to say to his face what they post on AW about him.  Thanks for the Lobster Mr. Moreno.  Such lovely flat wear Mrs. Moreno.  Did you get that at ...(whatever.  I don't shop and the only place I can think of is Target).  

Just now, Dochalo said:

we'd all be kissing Arte's ass and thanking him up and down.  Not a damn soul would have the balls to say to his face what they post on AW about him.  Thanks for the Lobster Mr. Moreno.  Such lovely flat wear Mrs. Moreno.  Did you get that at ...(whatever.  I don't shop and the only place I can think of is Target).  

I don’t love Arte’s ego, but I prefer him over Disney or Jackie Autry.  I also can use common sense to know that if he sold the team and he got market value of $2 billion plus, that the owner taking over would be at a fundamental disadvantage (compared to Arte) and that would result in a worse experience.  That worse experience would either be a more expensive visit to the ball park (by a lot) or lower payroll.  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I don’t love Arte’s ego, but I prefer him over Disney or Jackie Autry.  I also can use common sense to know that if he sold the team and he got market value of $2 billion plus, that the owner taking over would be at a fundamental disadvantage (compared to Arte) and that would result in a worse experience.  That worse experience would either be a more expensive visit to the ball park (by a lot) or lower payroll.  

maybe.  it would be pretty risky to find that out though.  

my favorite kind of money is SOG money.  Some other guy's money.  We spend a shit ton that around here.  

4 hours ago, ettin said:

This actually brings up a good point, one among many on this subject.

There is a real movement in baseball to steer away from starters and toward more long relievers/multi-inning relievers. The reason for this is simple: Relievers get batters out at a better clip than starters overall. Finding the right mix of multi-innings types, starters, and true one inning type relievers is an optimization mix we don't need to go into here but the reality of the numbers shows the more times a pitcher goes through a lineup the more likely they will get hit. It also shows that higher velocity, spin rates, consistent release points, etc., also improve performance as a whole.

The Angels, as AO stated, have been drafting a lot of pitchers, just not at the top of the draft where traditionally taking a position player pays higher dividends. Arms are so unpredictable in terms of injuries that the whole selection process is a crap shoot of sorts.

You saw Eppler trying to acquire a front-of-the-rotation type from free agency this year and it just so happens none of them wanted to come to Anaheim for a plethora of reasons that were out of our control. Billy is more than willing to acquire a top-tier guy it just hasn't been ripe the last couple of off-seasons and we even lost Skaggs who I believe was on the cusp of becoming a front-end guy.

We have some potential front-end types in our system right now in Rodriguez and Kochanowicz, for example. It is the starters that Eppler will invest money in. Finding relievers is pretty easy for him so he doesn't invest there, particularly now that we have crops of throwers coming up in our system that he can pull on or trade from for other needs (Bundy for example).

I think this is just a perception issue that is not really true.

Makes sense ... although, most of the teams playoff pitchers were legit starters. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

I agree with Pancake that this is a tired narrative.  It would probably be less tired if the premise was, “Should the Angels prioritize Starting Pitching at a Higher Level”?  But when you start the premise as they value pitching the least amount in all of Major League Baseball it seems tired.  

As it relates to the draft, this has been brought up here a few times.  When you are building a farm from scratch like Eppler has had to do you want to draft some sure things to build not just depth but currency.  It’s not a secret that pitching is much less predictable and a much bigger risk.  The success rate of pitchers in the draft is significantly less than position players.  Additionally if you have the 10th pick in the draft would you rather have an Adell type outfielder or a #3 starter?  Now that may seem like an exaggeration but how many college starters are taken 10th have Ace potential?  I’m sure they happen, but how often?  Then if you draft the high school pitcher the risk is so great and the development time is 4-5 years.  

I don't know much about the draft, but I assume ace pitchers have come from all sorts of rounds not just the first pick in the first round? But either way I think it is wise that you pick the best player available, whether it be baseball, football, hockey or whatever. Picking the best player available is usually the best way to go. 

3 hours ago, failos said:

I was thinking something more simple: Arte loves fireworks. Angel Stadium doesn’t do fireworks for pitchers, just home runs

I’d rather they have a founders day picnic at the park and let fans get chased by The Beast.

46 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I don't know much about the draft, but I assume ace pitchers have come from all sorts of rounds not just the first pick in the first round? But either way I think it is wise that you pick the best player available, whether it be baseball, football, hockey or whatever. Picking the best player available is usually the best way to go. 

Looked at recent list of top 25 pitchers.

17 drafted in 1st round, 2 in 4th round, 1 in 7th, 8th and 9th rounds and 3 were international signings.

You know, last night, I went thru some draft histories to try and characterize just how freakin' difficult and random it can be, sometimes, to draft, develop, and most importantly, "keep" that unicorn, the "ace" pitcher - I had charts and graphs and everything - but forgot to post it.

Now that I see the conversation has moved on to "assbirths" , I erased it all ...

Dont Throw Pearls, Before The Dogs Or The Swine. | Ex ...

(truth be told, there were no graphs, and the site seemed to lose what I wrote overnight - but I like this version of the story better)