• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Does this organization value pitching less than every other organization in baseball?

mmc

16 hours ago, Stradling said:

I agree with Pancake that this is a tired narrative.  It would probably be less tired if the premise was, “Should the Angels prioritize Starting Pitching at a Higher Level”?  But when you start the premise as they value pitching the least amount in all of Major League Baseball it seems tired.  

As it relates to the draft, this has been brought up here a few times.  When you are building a farm from scratch like Eppler has had to do you want to draft some sure things to build not just depth but currency.  It’s not a secret that pitching is much less predictable and a much bigger risk.  The success rate of pitchers in the draft is significantly less than position players.  Additionally if you have the 10th pick in the draft would you rather have an Adell type outfielder or a #3 starter?  Now that may seem like an exaggeration but how many college starters are taken 10th have Ace potential?  I’m sure they happen, but how often?  Then if you draft the high school pitcher the risk is so great and the development time is 4-5 years.  

Agree with the part about HS pitchers.   

My thinking though is that if at overall pick #10, a college pitcher does satisfy the main requirements (draft pick projected around #10, potential, durability) and the Halos are still somewhat thin on near MLB ready pitching (1-2 years away), isn't that an exception to the take a position player over pitcher rule?    

15 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Makes sense ... although, most of the teams playoff pitchers were legit starters. 

Yes, I am not stating that there are not high quality starters out there and the reason most playoff teams had legit starters is because during the regular season those legit starters carried them a long way, i.e. they had good starting staffs to begin with which equates to a playoff berth.

However, you and I both know that acquiring a good starter is not easy and there are not that many of them out there. Thus teams are moving more to multi-innings types to bridge some of that gap and improve their overall performance at the margins.

My feeling is that the Angels organization lacks the development skills that successful organizations, like the Dodgers, Rays and Braves have. Some of the problems also come from finishing in the middle of the pack for years. Drafting isn’t an exact science but scouts have to be able to project. 

20 hours ago, Stradling said:

My follow up would be since Eppler has been here, which starting pitchers that were drafted (after the Angels draft choice) have had more success than Thaiss and Canning.  Obviously I’d rather have Forrest Whitley more than Thaiss, but he really shit the bed last year in the minors to the tune of an 8 ERA.  

Do you mean major league success only?  The Indians drafted 3 starting pitchers that have had more major league success than Thaiss after him in 2016, Shane Bieber, Aaron Civale, and Zac Plesac.  There’s also Tony Gonsolin, Zac Gallen, Joey Luchessi, Eric Lauer, Dakota Hudson.  And then there’s top prospects Justin Dunn, Jesus Luzardo, and Forrest Whitley if you want to count top prospects.

• 3 years later...
On 2/12/2020 at 5:08 PM, Stradling said:

My follow up would be since Eppler has been here, which starting pitchers that were drafted (after the Angels draft choice) have had more success than Thaiss and Canning.  Obviously I’d rather have Forrest Whitley more than Thaiss, but he really shit the bed last year in the minors to the tune of an 8 ERA.  

Maybe not entirely on topic but thatc 2019 draft was an absolute disaster when they took Wil Wilson instead of George Kirby. Also, instead of Corbin Carroll who went one pick later. And that's just the All-stars that were passed up. There's also Quinn Priester and Zach Thompson who are both ptichers in the Majors now. The 2018 draft wasn't much better either when they chose Jordyn Adams. Shane McClanahan was still available at that pick. So I would say, part of Eppler's demise was that he didn't emphasize the drafting of pitchers. 

35 minutes ago, T-angel said:

Maybe not entirely on topic but thatc 2019 draft was an absolute disaster when they took Wil Wilson instead of George Kirby. Also, instead of Corbin Carroll who went one pick later. And that's just the All-stars that were passed up. There's also Quinn Priester and Zach Thompson who are both ptichers in the Majors now. The 2018 draft wasn't much better either when they chose Jordyn Adams. Shane McClanahan was still available at that pick. So I would say, part of Eppler's demise was that he didn't emphasize the drafting of pitchers. 

Priester is a bust with Pittsburgh. Thompson has an ERA over 5 as a reliever. Jameson is a reliever for the Diamondbacks. 7th pick Lodolo has a 6.29 ERA. 

Of the 15 pitchers chosen in the first round in 2019, only 2 have had any real success as starters.  Manoah and Kirby. And you are hammering on the Angels for missing with their first round pick?  

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

Priester is a bust with Pittsburgh. Thompson has an ERA over 5 as a reliever. Jameson is a reliever for the Diamondbacks. 7th pick Lodolo has a 6.29 ERA. 

Of the 15 pitchers chosen in the first round in 2019, only 2 have had any real success as starters.  Manoah and Kirby. And you are hammering on the Angels for missing with their first round pick?  

Every one misses on first round picks. What I am saying is that those two drafts alone (2018 and 2019) could have focused more on pitching specifically in the 1st round and they look like disasters to me (especially right now). I use that to take a side on the question that was posed in this thread. You can certainly disagree. 

There are critical remarks on the Angels all over this forum so if that automatically makes those fans "hammerers" of the Angels, you may have to categorize everyone in the forum that way.  

• 6 months later...