• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

32 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I still think the $15 million a year thing is unrealistic. $20 million is even pushing it but at least we'd be taking on most of the contract.

But let's say this scenario plays out and it ONLY costs Rengifo. Despite the injury history and velocity trajectory, you would be fine with Price at 3/45 despite the Angels not even offering Ryu a contract? 

Is it though? The Red Sox don't figure to win the East this year, they may even be in fourth place behind the Blue Jays. They are currently over the luxury-tax, and are going to lose Mookie Betts after next season. If there ever was a time for the Red Sox to sell and reload, it would be right now.

They owe Price 96 million across the next three years. You knock that down to 52 million, you're reducing their payroll by 17 million a year across the next three years. And if they get their starting 2B out of the deal, they probably accept that in a heart beat. Saves them money in taxes and payroll and gives them their lead hitter in 2021-2026.

25 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Is it though? The Red Sox don't figure to win the East this year, they may even be in fourth place behind the Blue Jays. They are currently over the luxury-tax, and are going to lose Mookie Betts after next season. If there ever was a time for the Red Sox to sell and reload, it would be right now.

They owe Price 96 million across the next three years. You knock that down to 52 million, you're reducing their payroll by 17 million a year across the next three years. And if they get their starting 2B out of the deal, they probably accept that in a heart beat. Saves them money in taxes and payroll and gives them their lead hitter in 2021-2026.

They don't figure to win the division but I guarantee you they'll be in the playoff hunt. 

They're also $23 million over the tax threshold. Obviously anything helps but I'd think they would want whomever trades for him to take on as much money as possible. 

But we're ignoring my main point here: Why trade for Price when we could have signed Ryu? Price would be an OK backup option but the Angels didn't offer Ryu a contract. The money and years and health issues are all basically a wash, but the talent and potential is not. It would make sense for the Angels to chase Price if they got outbid for Ryu but they didn't even bid. So what the fuck? 

35 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

They don't figure to win the division but I guarantee you they'll be in the playoff hunt. 

They're also $23 million over the tax threshold. Obviously anything helps but I'd think they would want whomever trades for him to take on as much money as possible. 

But we're ignoring my main point here: Why trade for Price when we could have signed Ryu? Price would be an OK backup option but the Angels didn't offer Ryu a contract. The money and years and health issues are all basically a wash, but the talent and potential is not. It would make sense for the Angels to chase Price if they got outbid for Ryu but they didn't even bid. So what the fuck? 

It’s definitely a fair point. I’m with you on that one. The angels aren’t always known to make sound decisions though.

17 minutes ago, ettin said:

Blind Player Comparison:

Player X is the Blue line

Player Y is the Black line

Player Z is the Green line

Orange line is the average of the three.

Which one would you choose?

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Answers to come in a bit....

on the k/9 how is the average higher than anyone of the samples?

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

You'll have to forgive my ignorance, but where does it say the Angels never made an offer on Ryu?

I agree with the premise that they SHOULD'VE signed Ryu. 

But why on Earth would there Angels hold multiple meetings with Ryu, and not offer a contract? I'm not sure you have a reputable source on that one.

And to your point, Price is not an alternative to Ryu. He's a back up plan. And Ryu was basically a back up plan's back up plan. Which makes Price the backup plan's back up plan's, backup plan's backup plan.

But that's where we are now apparently. Either trade Brandon Marsh for 3 years of a shitty pitcher, or trade nothing much for 3 years of Price, a non-shitty pitcher because he makes too much money.

I'd rather spend money than Brandon Marsh.

Edited by Second Base

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

i'll say it for everybody, this really boils down to i don't really like price all that much, and i really don't want to help the red sox or give up any player that is realistically helpful to the angels roster or the red sox.

6000 miles away
9:57
So you guys had a poll about how many games the Angels would win. Give me your guess.

Mark P
9:58
I think they need either one more good SP, or else I'd need a guarantee that Ohtani will be healthy and effective.  Otherwise, I'm not sure they get over .500.  AL will be tougher with Texas, Chicago, Toronto all improved....A's, Astros, Rays, Yankees, Indians, Twins all still tough, BoSox still good