• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

Hill obviously isn’t a number 5 starter when he’s healthy. He’s a lot better than that, but he has sand in his vagina for at least half of the year every single year. This year it’ll be the first half of the year.

bailey is a number five starter. No way around it. His career numbers say it and last years overall numbers say it. If you looked at his career numbers and Blanton’s career numbers, there isn’t much of a difference.

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'd rather have wood and/or walker.  

I would rather have them too, but Eppler isn't doing jack crap. It's like he ghosted the team after he signed Rendon. 

The Twins are at least addressing their needs, as are other teams. 

We still need another starter that can provide innings and Bailey was that guy for the A's down the stretch. Hill could have been a nice guy to have down the stretch once he was ready. 

1 hour ago, Dick B Back said:

Last time Hill posted 140+ innings...

Wait for it...

Yeah Hill wasn't going to be a guy we counted on for innings, that's Bailey. But Hill could have been a solid piece for down the stretch depth who could provide some solid innings. When he is pitching on the mound check out his stats the past few years. 

Screen Shot 2019-12-31 at 9.39.33 AM.png

31 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Dallas Keuchel last 4 years: 168 IP, 145 IP, 204 IP, 112 IP. TOTAL IP 629 IP. Averages 157 IP

David Price last 4 years: 230 IP, 74 IP, 176 IP, 107 IP TOTAL IP 587. Averages 147 IP. 

So over the last few years, the difference between Keuchel and Price is about 10 innings a year. Divvied up across a full season, that's one more out per game. Otherwise, it's pretty identical.

Except Keuchel hasnt missed a start due to health the last seasons, whereas Price missed the last two months of last season with what appears to be a nagging and potentially serious health issue.

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Two guys for cheap if Hill reaches all of his incentives. 

These are deals I hope Eppler can reach with Walker and Wood, once he gets off that wave he's been surfing. 

Yeah, those are good low cost, high potential reward contracts. After missing out on the bigger guys this offseason, I'd hope we start tossing a few deals like this out there and hope one or two of them work out. I know that'll seem like same old same old to a lot of people around here, but it only takes one of those deals being a success to turn this into a really competitive team.

WEll, those arent guys i wanted per se, would definitely take Bailey over Hill... but the frustration mounts while other teams in basically the exact same place we are are addressing their needs while we... enjoy the holidays.
WE still have to fight the Chisox for whatever is left and they seem much more willing to act than we are.  
Whatever this grand plan Eppler thinks hes working is, it better materialize quickly or were screwed.

There is no grand plan.  Whatever happens just depends on how things shake out.  If they can get a guy they’re interested in at a rate they think they will get value out of then they’ll do it.  After Cole signed there wasn’t any one left worth taking big risks on.  Which was probably the correct way to deal with this.  I’d still be interested in Alex Wood if we can get a decent deal.  I don’t know.  I think there’s a decent chance that could happen.  

Some of you people need to start telling yourselves that Eppler may have already reached or is trying to stay within whatever spending limits he's been afforded save for a catcher...    You can't force other teams to make trades on your timetable and you can't expect there to be $$ available for a trade if you spent it on the likes of Homer Bailey.

More disappointment in Eppler this off-season. This was supposed to be one of those stoners where the entire direction of the franchise shifts. 

Rendon is great, but he's a luxury, not a necessity. The necessity is picking and we've got Dylan Bundy and Julio Teheran. 

Without any additional picking moves, in order to compete, Canning will need to develop into a mid rotation starter, Ohtani will need to be a front of the rotation starter and Andrew Heaney will need to stay healthy.

That's a lot that needs to go right for this team to go to the playoffs.

28 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

There is no grand plan.  Whatever happens just depends on how things shake out.  If they can get a guy they’re interested in at a rate they think they will get value out of then they’ll do it.  After Cole signed there wasn’t any one left worth taking big risks on.  Which was probably the correct way to deal with this.  I’d still be interested in Alex Wood if we can get a decent deal.  I don’t know.  I think there’s a decent chance that could happen.  

If thats true, then we are in real trouble.
If hes not frantically working trade options he remiss in his duties.
If were done, were a third place team in our own division and will not get close to the post season.

22 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Some of you people need to start telling yourselves that Eppler may have already reached or is trying to stay within whatever spending limits he's been afforded save for a catcher...    You can't force other teams to make trades on your timetable and you can't expect there to be $$ available for a trade if you spent it on the likes of Homer Bailey.

I think that’s close to true. Fletcher indicated they were looking at around 3/45 with him. I suspect they have around 20-25 more available in total for both needs. 

Of course there is a plan, its simply that the plans don’t have names.  You acquire players that have traits and characteristics and control and price tags and acquisition costs.  So far we know that part of the plan is not to trade off any of our top prospects unless it is for a particular type of player.  That player hasn’t developed yet.  If what we heard was true about the Indians demands from the Angels for Kluber, that should be a clue that Eppler is not going to shit the bed just so we can get a starting pitcher.  He isn’t going to mortgage the future for one dude over the age of 30.