• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Of course there is a plan, its simply that the plans don’t have names.  You acquire players that have traits and characteristics and control and price tags and acquisition costs.  So far we know that part of the plan is not to trade off any of our top prospects unless it is for a particular type of player.  That player hasn’t developed yet.  If what we heard was true about the Indians demands from the Angels for Kluber, that should be a clue that Eppler is not going to shit the bed just so we can get a starting pitcher.  He isn’t going to mortgage the future for one dude over the age of 30.  

plus, our plans are not everyone else's plans.  

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Some of you people need to start telling yourselves that Eppler may have already reached or is trying to stay within whatever spending limits he's been afforded save for a catcher...    You can't force other teams to make trades on your timetable and you can't expect there to be $$ available for a trade if you spent it on the likes of Homer Bailey.

Also, Eppler has already clearly stated that he is waiting out the trade market to see if prices come down in trade. Right now it sounds like teams, such as the Indians, were making unreasonable demands for their starters. Marsh for Kluber was something to be avoided and Eppler did that which was what was right for the team.

The patience around here is stunningly bad sometimes. I get it, I mean I wanted Cole too but this on-demand pleasuring of the board is getting out of hand.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Some of you people need to start telling yourselves that Eppler may have already reached or is trying to stay within whatever spending limits he's been afforded save for a catcher...    You can't force other teams to make trades on your timetable and you can't expect there to be $$ available for a trade if you spent it on the likes of Homer Bailey.

Then why did we trade Wilson?  Why did Moreno say salary will increase?

Also as was pointed out in the Primer Series Third Base article, the hot corner was a position that needed to be addressed long-term, specifically because there were not good options after Rendon and Donaldson in this free agency off-season. It would have been at least 2-4 years before a good 3B hit the free agent market, although the trade market would have still hypothetically been available.

This off-season was the time to strike at 3B, assuming Arte fronted the money and he did. Yes we need rotation help (and there is still over two months to acquire a good starter) but there are other areas of the roster to be improved and we got the BEST third baseman in baseball right now to man the hot corner and that is SIGNIFICANT!

There are a lot of trades coming in the market and I will not be surprised if we pull off one or more further trades and they may be multi-team trades because some of our trade-able assets are not needed by just one team.

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Then why did we trade Wilson?

Once again, we traded Wilson because we did not want to play Zack Cozart on the field for the 2020 season, we needed to get his salary off of the books to give the team more financial flexibility for other moves (some of which have not come yet), and in order to convince another team to take Zack's full salary we had to include a good prospect. Most importantly Will Wilson had a pretty poor showing in his first season and it seems likely that the Angels thought this was the best deal on the table to get Cozart off the books and they took it because our SS depth is solid in the Minors.

Why did Moreno say salary will increase?

As it stands we will start the 2020 season with the highest payroll this team has ever had in team history. On top of that it is my belief that if Cole had signed with us we still would have pursued Rendon as well. Finally the off-season IS NOT OVER and there are plenty of other trade scenarios where the Angels can take on salary and acquire good players to help the team win in 2020. Players that have higher salaries will cost less in prospect capital so look for Eppler to target mid-to-large salaried players in trade to help the team. Clearly Eppler and the front office mapped out all of the possibilities and contingency plans and realized that in order to make them happen they needed to make room on the 40-man roster and payroll space, so trading Cozart was going to be a requirement no matter what to help the team build a better roster and take on the money needed to support these moves.

16 minutes ago, ettin said:

Once again, we traded Wilson because we did not want to play Zack Cozart on the field for the 2020 season, we needed to get his salary off of the books to give the team more financial flexibility for other moves (some of which have not come yet), and in order to convince another team to take Zack's full salary we had to include a good prospect. Most importantly Will Wilson had a pretty poor showing in his first season and it seems likely that the Angels thought this was the best deal on the table to get Cozart off the books and they took it because our SS depth is solid in the Minors.

As it stands we will start the 2020 season with the highest payroll this team has ever had in team history. On top of that it is my belief that if Cole had signed with us we still would have pursued Rendon as well. Finally the off-season IS NOT OVER and there are plenty of other trade scenarios where the Angels can take on salary and acquire good players to help the team win in 2020. Players that have higher salaries will cost less in prospect capital so look for Eppler to target mid-to-large salaried players in trade to help the team. Clearly Eppler and the front office mapped out all of the possibilities and contingency plans and realized that in order to make them happen they needed to make room on the 40-man roster and payroll space, so trading Cozart was going to be a requirement no matter what to help the team build a better roster and take on the money needed to support these moves.

Sorry your explanation on trading Wilson makes no sense.  We could have DFA Cozart and swallowed the money.   The on li y reason we traded him was to free up money which makes no sense if we do not spend the money!

Sorry your explanation on trading Wilson makes no sense.  We could have DFA Cozart and swallowed the money.   The on li y reason we traded him was to free up money which makes no sense if we do not spend the money!

Respectfully, storm, that is exactly what I said above. Also I clearly said that there are other moves in-work that should require a large chunk of payroll, thus the need to spend money. Again this off-season is not over, there are a full two months left and the trade market has stalled for multiple reasons including the upcoming arbitration deadline, the Kris Bryant situation which is holding up the third base market, and the Francisco Lindor situation which is holding up the SS market. Once these events occur you should see more movement and the trade or trades that the Angels have been waiting on will eventually go through and the Angels will need open payroll to accommodate any trades they do make.

57 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Then why did we trade Wilson?  Why did Moreno say salary will increase?

Why are you asking me?   Send Arte a sternly worded letter demanding to know why we traded a guy you knew nothing about and why he said he was going to raise payroll.   But, basic logic.... When they made that trade both Rendon and Cole were on the table.. one of those guys went somewhere else and the guy they did sign is owed 245 million dollars ....more importantly, as I said in the post you responded to..   It may just be that he's trying to stay within whatever budget he's been given and is saving space for a potential addition of salary.  Time will tell.  If you want a more definitive answer you best ask someone actually in the know.

21 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Wait....   

So you're mad that ALL the payroll is going to go to people who will actually play for the Angels instead of paying someone 13 mil to not to play for them?   

Tell me more about this "sense" thing you're talking about.

29 minutes ago, stormngt said:

9 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Why are you asking me?   Send Arte a sternly worded letter demanding to know why we traded a guy you knew nothing about and why he said he was going to raise payroll.   But, basic logic.... When they made that trade both Rendon and Cole were on the table.. one of those guys went somewhere else and the guy they did sign is owed 245 million dollars ....more importantly, as I said in the post you responded to..   It may just be that he's trying to stay within whatever budget he's been given and is saving space for a potential addition of salary.  Time will tell.  If you want a more definitive answer you best ask someone actually in the know.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Wait....   

So you're mad that ALL the payroll is going to go to people who will actually play for the Angels instead of paying someone 13 mil to not to play for them?   

Tell me more about this "sense" thing you're talking about.

image.gif.991508c8455077802c6215df7a0ef17b.gif

10 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

But, basic logic.... When they made that trade both Rendon and Cole were on the table..

Yup. Pretty much what happened with the Lakers and Kawhi. They freed up money but didn't get him. Although the Angels were able to get the best position player available as a consolation. Payroll has gone up. Arte told the truth.

I still don't really mind the trade so much. I was not impressed with Wilson. Yeah, he was going to be a good hitter and decent defender as a 2B, but I saw nothing from him to justify playing him over Fletcher, Jones, Rengifo or even to justify him as our first round selection.

I think his value was only going to go down from here.

But the deal still long makes sense if they spend 12 million more than they would've otherwise spent, which we have no way of knowing, only guessing. 

At this point, I don't think there Angels have spent 12 million more than they otherwise would've. So the deal doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But that's been the theme this winter for Eppler. His done a crap job and none of it makes sense. Yet. Off-season isn't over. Maybe he trades for an expensive player or used that 12 million to extend someone like Simmons. 

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I still don't really mind the trade so much. I was not impressed with Wilson. Yeah, he was going to be a good hitter and decent defender as a 2B, but I saw nothing from him to justify playing him over Fletcher, Jones, Rengifo or even to justify him as our first round selection.

I think his value was only going to go down from here.

But the deal still long makes sense if they spend 12 million more than they would've otherwise spent, which we have no way of knowing, only guessing. 

At this point, I don't think there Angels have spent 12 million more than they otherwise would've. So the deal doesn't make a whole lot of sense. But that's been the theme this winter for Eppler. His done a crap job and none of it makes sense. Yet. Off-season isn't over. Maybe he trades for an expensive player or used that 12 million to extend someone like Simmons. 

I think this may be the plan. Even after the off-season there may be better opportunities. It's a little different because there is a salary cap in the NBA, but assume there is a relatively firm internal cap for the Angels payroll. Every year there is a team that steals someone during the season because they had the cap space to take on some salary. The Angels may be able to do that if they maintain flexibility through a month or two instead of forcing a trade before opening day.