• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

2 minutes ago, Angels_Fan said:

I don’t know if that’s the right strategy, considering many teams besides the Angels need pitching help. For all the Angels know, all the best available trade targets could be gone before then. 

Doubtful, because they're still available. Has a significant pitching trade been made this off-season besides Kluber? 

Clevinger might go, but the Angels aren't getting him anyway. Guys like Boyd, Musgrove, Gray etc... should still be available in February.

Just now, tdawg87 said:

Doubtful, because they're still available. Has a significant pitching trade been made this off-season besides Kluber? 

Clevinger might go, but the Angels aren't getting him anyway. Guys like Boyd, Musgrove, Gray etc... should still be available in February.

The Angels probably aren’t going to get a difference maker via trade without including at least Marsh.

13 minutes ago, RBM said:

So you think Arte approved Eppler to sign two players to $35 M AAV contracts? He would have $105 M tied up with 3 players for the next seven years?

It seems more like a pivot to me.

I 100% believe so. I think Cole and Rendon was always the plan. That’s why they made the Trade for Bundy and traded Cozart and Wilson for cash. Arte was getting ready to sign both then trade for a catcher and call it an offseason.

For anybody interested in David Price, after looking at his 2019 splits, I no longer am, regardless of the salary that Boston does or does not pick up. Some highlights:

His ERA was almost a run-and-a-half higher away from Fenway Park, killing the notion that right handed hitters and the green monster were the main issues.

His ERA with runners in scoring position was 12.58. His ERA with RISP and two outs was 22.18. When he gets into trouble, he isn't likely to pitch his way out of it.

He gave on average about five innings per start - meaning that the bullpen would pitch almost half the game whenever he started.

David Price

33 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

For anybody interested in David Price, after looking at his 2019 splits, I no longer am, regardless of the salary that Boston does or does not pick up. Some highlights:

His ERA was almost a run-and-a-half higher away from Fenway Park, killing the notion that right handed hitters and the green monster were the main issues.

His ERA with runners in scoring position was 12.58. His ERA with RISP and two outs was 22.18. When he gets into trouble, he isn't likely to pitch his way out of it.

He gave on average about five innings per start - meaning that the bullpen would pitch almost half the game whenever he started.

David Price

To be fair, Fenway is actually more of a pitchers park than not. His ERA+ was 113, which is above average. 

I still don't want him in the slightest but just wanted to point that out because I need a false sense of superiority.

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm guessing he's waiting until closer to ST for asking prices to come down. 

Let's be real, every team he approaches about a trade for pitching is going to ask for Marsh. They know we're desperate. But if Eppler hangs around fully prepared to go into the 2020 season with this rotation, I suspect teams may become a little more reasonable. 

Also, we literally need a catcher still. He's not done.

I agree with this 100%.  Eppler knows how to play the game.  He is not done with SP or C.

Edited by VariousCrap

1 hour ago, RBM said:

Maybe. I see the progression. If true, it means Arte approved crossing the CBT cap. Interesting.

They are $25 M under the CBT right now. If Eppler had signed Cole instead of Teheran they would be $1 M over now. Another $5 M for a catcher. $6 M over for a 1st year team is 20% or $1.2 M. Not a big deal. 

It may have been difficult to get back under in 2021, Simba's contract of $8.3 M. is the only one expiring in 2021.

He always said he would go over for the right player. Cole and Rendon would have been the right ones. 

Worth mentioning, San Francisco apparently really liked Will Wilson and either nearly drafted him, or planned on drafting him - I can't recall what I read exactly, but they were big fans of him. 

It's entirely possible San Francisco initiated all of this and reached out, offering to take all of Cozart for Wilson, and at the time, Eppler felt any extra money he could free up would be useful, not knowing how anything would shake out. 

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

I should clarify that it isn't that I want David Price on this team as much as I think it's a fit. 

If we're talking about possibly available targets that I actually want, I think Dinelson Lamet and Jon Gray are toward the top.

I see no reason why the pitching starved Padres would trade Lamet.

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

I should clarify that it isn't that I want David Price on this team as much as I think it's a fit....

I just don’t see Price being a fit anywhere...health questions and way too much money, even if Boston takes on some....Prefer taking a flyer on Alex Wood or making a better trade than Price....

Just now, VariousCrap said:

Yes, that is definitely a possibility, but I still think he will hopes to trade for someone before the season starts.

Yes, hopes to. That’s the key word. Gonna just depend on cost. I appreciate that he’s not going all in and wasting appreciating assets on non-essential needs. Yes, we need pitching, but if necessary we can get along without spending more for a time. Eppler needs to be smart about not wasting bullets. I think he will. 

51 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I see no reason why the pitching starved Padres would trade Lamet.

Because the pitching starved Padres are the position player starved Padres when it comes to prospects. Nothing coming in the next couple years at 2B, and beyond Taylor Trammell, serious questions in the issues as well. And Trammell himself wasn't very convincing in his first stint in AA last year. Whereas Brandon Marsh was VERY convincing in AA and the AFL.

Whereas on the mound, they've got Gore, Morejon, Baez, Weathers, Patino, Bolanos and Cantillo all impacting the major league team in the next couple seasons. It's an absolutely insane amount of talent.

Marsh for Lamet is really reasonable for both.

21 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Because the pitching starved Padres are the position player starved Padres when it comes to prospects. Nothing coming in the next couple years at 2B, and beyond Taylor Trammell, serious questions in the issues as well. And Trammell himself wasn't very convincing in his first stint in AA last year. Whereas Brandon Marsh was VERY convincing in AA and the AFL.

Whereas on the mound, they've got Gore, Morejon, Baez, Weathers, Patino, Bolanos and Cantillo all impacting the major league team in the next couple seasons. It's an absolutely insane amount of talent.

Marsh for Lamet is really reasonable for both.

They have too many OF as it is right now. I don't see it. They also acquired Grisham for Urias. 

38 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

They have too many OF as it is right now. I don't see it. They also acquired Grisham for Urias. 

They have options, but every single one of them comes with question marks. Myers might be finished. Cordero, plate discipline. Margot, the bat. Naylor, his weight and defense. Grisham has a career batting average of .255... In the minors. This whole concept of him actually hitting the ball is new. 

Preller's answer to their outfield and offensive woes overall has been quantity over quality. Every single option they possess, lacks the completeness and upside of Brandon Marsh. 

There have been worse trades.

Edited by Second Base

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

I just don’t see Price being a fit anywhere...health questions and way too much money, even if Boston takes on some....Prefer taking a flyer on Alex Wood or making a better trade than Price....

Yeah, that's definitely an option too. One I hope Billy Eppler follows up on. I don't just want Alex Wood on a one year deal though. If he's healthy again and looking to re-establish value, I want an option year on him as well. He's still young enough that he'd get a sizeable deal in two years.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Worth mentioning, San Francisco apparently really liked Will Wilson and either nearly drafted him, or planned on drafting him - I can't recall what I read exactly, but they were big fans of him. 

It's entirely possible San Francisco initiated all of this and reached out, offering to take all of Cozart for Wilson, and at the time, Eppler felt any extra money he could free up would be useful, not knowing how anything would shake out. 

So literally every front office creates a road map of how the off-season could play out. I have ZERO doubt that the Cozart move was pre-meditated and intentional because, a) we didn't want to put him on the field in such a critical season (another reason I believe Pujols rides the bench more this year), b) removing his salary via the prospect dump gave Eppler more financial flexibility, based on that road map, and c) the Angels probably weren't too enamored with Wilson, particularly considering SS organizational depth is pretty good overall.

I feel quite confident that the Angels understood how the off-season could play out and had multiple discussions/contingencies on how and where they could spend the money and where they would need it if they go Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, Plan D, etc. There are other starters that can help the team perform and would provide solid value so, yes, they are on Plan B or C or whatever but they are executing to that game plan as the fallout from the off-season continues. I have no doubt we will execute at least one, if not more, trades prior to Opening Day that will help improve the team, whether that is pitching, catching, bullpen, first base, etc.

Basically the team can improve further and then save a couple of bullets for the Trade Deadline where ace-level pitchers might actually be available (say the Mets for instance if they are not in it). Also the current plan could be to improve the team as much as reasonably possible and then pursue other FA starters next off-season too. We are not privy to all of that information and data.

Bottom line is that the Cozart trade was made for a reason that we probably cannot see yet and I am fine with that.

33 minutes ago, ettin said:

So literally every front office creates a road map of how the off-season could play out. I have ZERO doubt that the Cozart move was pre-meditated and intentional because, a) we didn't want to put him on the field in such a critical season (another reason I believe Pujols rides the bench more this year), b) removing his salary via the prospect dump gave Eppler more financial flexibility, based on that road map, and c) the Angels probably weren't too enamored with Wilson, particularly considering SS organizational depth is pretty good overall.

I feel quite confident that the Angels understood how the off-season could play out and had multiple discussions/contingencies on how and where they could spend the money and where they would need it if they go Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, Plan D, etc. There are other starters that can help the team perform and would provide solid value so, yes, they are on Plan B or C or whatever but they are executing to that game plan as the fallout from the off-season continues. I have no doubt we will execute at least one, if not more, trades prior to Opening Day that will help improve the team, whether that is pitching, catching, bullpen, first base, etc.

Basically the team can improve further and then save a couple of bullets for the Trade Deadline where ace-level pitchers might actually be available (say the Mets for instance if they are not in it). Also the current plan could be to improve the team as much as reasonably possible and then pursue other FA starters next off-season too. We are not privy to all of that information and data.

Bottom line is that the Cozart trade was made for a reason that we probably cannot see yet and I am fine with that.

or how about this completely far fetched thought.  the Angels had a deal in place with the Giants to sell Cozart if they drafted and included Wilson in the deal.  Since you can't trade draft picks or guys on the 60 day DL and the giants only agree to eat 1 year of Cozart and not 1.5, the trade had to happen in the off season as to not raise any suspicion.  Wilson obviously caught wind of this through internal channels and was basically going through the motions last year.  

Obviously, this is utter BS, but I wonder how often these types of back room deals actually occur.  

11 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

or how about this completely far fetched thought.  the Angels had a deal in place with the Giants to sell Cozart if they drafted and included Wilson in the deal.  Since you can't trade draft picks or guys on the 60 day DL and the giants only agree to eat 1 year of Cozart and not 1.5, the trade had to happen in the off season as to not raise any suspicion.  Wilson obviously caught wind of this through internal channels and was basically going through the motions last year.  

Obviously, this is utter BS, but I wonder how often these types of back room deals actually occur.  

I have often wondered if agents advise their clients to do certain things that is against the best interests of the team. It would not surprise me in the least as the teams often take advantage of the system over the players too.