• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

THE Official 2019-2020 Hot Stove Thread

T.G.

I mean I just imagine an opening day lineup of:

Fletcher

Trout

Rendon

Ohtani

Upton

Castellanos

Pujols

Castro

Simmons

Tell me that lineup isn't sick. And obviously Castellanos is just one option. I think we will make a trade for a SP, which will move our rotation closer to "middle-of-the-pack". But if we bring in Chirinos for catcher and another bat (Corey Dickerson?) our offense is starting to look like it can compete with any other in baseball. 

I think a middling pitching staff and an elite offense puts us right in contention.

13 minutes ago, ettin said:

I don't think Castellanos is ridiculous at all, they could play him at 1B, some DH'ing, some LF because Upton apparently can't hit LHP anymore, and he could be insurance for Adell in case things don't go smoothly out of the gate with him.

Everyone keeps wanting to plug La Stella in around the diamond when in reality he is a utility guy who can hit RHP only. I think the Angels can do better with a big bat at 1B whether that is Walsh, Thaiss, Ward, Castellanos, or Mancini for instance.

How does Castellanos get less than 3 years? He’s only 28 going into 2020 and he’s had a 119 wRC+ 3 of the last 4 years. (The other was 111 in 2017. He had a 130 in 2018.)

And if he gets 3 years, I don’t get how he fits unless we’re moving someone else. Sure, we can plug him into RF for a bit, max of one season. Maybe Pujols is gone then. Maybe platoon him with Pujols and La Stella for at bats? 

13 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

How does Castellanos get less than 3 years? He’s only 28 going into 2020 and he’s had a 119 wRC+ 3 of the last 4 years. (The other was 111 in 2017. He had a 130 in 2018.)

And if he gets 3 years, I don’t get how he fits unless we’re moving someone else. Sure, we can plug him into RF for a bit, max of one season. Maybe Pujols is gone then. Maybe platoon him with Pujols and La Stella for at bats? 

I don't think Pujols is going to get a lot of at-bat's this year. I could be wrong but I think he DH's only against LHP and maybe a few at-bat's against RHP, also some pinch hitting off the bench, so the room could be available it is just a matter of relegating Pujols to where he needs to be: the 26th man on the roster.

Castellanos will probably get something like 5 years, $80M give or take. He is not my favorite choice (Mancini is, Smoak was, and Walsh is my backup choice) but he crushes LHP and I think the Angels could use him in this 1B/COF role until Albert retires then plug him in more at DH splitting all of the at-bat's with Ohtani.

Just now, tdawg87 said:

If Kole gets 2/16 I really, really don't see Castellanos getting more than 3 years. I know he's younger but he's also a worse all-around player.

I was thinking like, 2/36. Fuck.

I could be wrong, I thought I was getting Cole in my stocking this Christmas and that didn't happen. 😄

24 minutes ago, ettin said:

They were quoting 5 years, $14M per at the start of the season so jumping up $2M per in this market doesn't seem like a stretch. Not my favorite but he doesn't cost prospects.

My concern with Castellanos is his trajectory seems similar to Calhoun. Calhoun had a comparable wRC+ from 2013-2016 (age 25-28 seasons) before turning into basically a league average bat the last 3 seasons (age 29-31). Castellanos, meanwhile, is just starting his age 28 year and, unlike Calhoun, has no defense to keep his value afloat if he falters. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving him more than three years. Five years would be a non-starter for me.

24 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

My concern with Castellanos is his trajectory seems similar to Calhoun. Calhoun had a comparable wRC+ from 2013-2016 (age 25-28 seasons) before turning into basically a league average bat the last 3 seasons (age 29-31). Castellanos, meanwhile, is just starting his age 28 year and, unlike Calhoun, has no defense to keep his value afloat if he falters. I wouldn't feel comfortable giving him more than three years. Five years would be a non-starter for me.

Then I think it is very unlikely we could or would acquire him as he will get 4-5 years for sure I think. Again he is not my favorite, but I am not against it, he would be a powerful bat against LHP and is about League average against RHP, so he is not insignificant. I would highly prefer Mancini or just let one of Walsh, Ward, and Thaiss battle it out in Spring Training (I am a big fan of Ward's bat actually so who knows).

Also, we should keep in mind that Castellanos is a flawed player to he sure. Terrible defender no matter where you put him. Last year he set a career high in doubles and home runs, which is likely the result of the juiced ball. His OBP isn't the best and is largely dependent upon him having a good BA.

Is he a good hitter? Yes. But if signed, will his offensive profile frustrate Angel fans? Yes, definitely. 

10 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

I saw something the other day about him being around a 2/$36m-38m now, perhaps an option. There was also chatter about heavy mutual interest between he and the Cubs, but they needed to clear salary first. 

Keep in mind, he *might* be young enough that there’s a huge offensive lift about to occur - he might turn a corner and become a .950-1.000+ guy - and if he manages to settle in as even a poor defender - instead of a brutal one - he might be able to get something like JD Martinez money in a couple years at a fairly young age. 

18 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Signing Castellanos is utter nonsense!  He is not playing first base! Not playing RF! Not DHing! He can go play with himself! We don't need him. Too much money, defense is too crappy. No place for him to play here. Not with Adell ready to go.

ok! 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

I saw something the other day about him being around a 2/$36m-38m now, perhaps an option. There was also chatter about heavy mutual interest between he and the Cubs, but they needed to clear salary first. 

Keep in mind, he *might* be young enough that there’s a huge offensive lift about to occur - he might turn a corner and become a .950-1.000+ guy - and if he manages to settle in as even a poor defender - instead of a brutal one - he might be able to get something like JD Martinez money in a couple years at a fairly young age. 

A two year deal for him would be great, Id gamble on upside here

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

They’ve made a few good pick ups this year.  Villar, Aguilar and now Dickerson. 

Lotsa good young pitching. Best thing about the hitters they acquired this year winter is all have potential to either be controlled for a couple years or traded for prospects at deadline if they’re playing well.