• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Gerrit Cole (Please sign with the Angels) Thread

Chuck

The Yankees aren’t desperate for an ace like the Angels are though and I think that is what could push this over the edge for us. I don’t think Arte is gonna get outbid. He’s gonna do whatever it takes to get him. The only thing that’ll stop us from not getting him is if he doesn’t want to play for us.

You can call it desperation but the Angels are multiple players away from success while the Yankees are a guy like Cole away from being favored to win it all.  So that creates its own sort of need or desperation.
Cole is a GREAT start for the Angels, but he’s the last piece for the Yankees.  

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

I read somewhere that the NBA ratings are down because most of the star players are now playing on the west coast at 11:00pm east coast time. Maybe they’re worried about having MLB’s best baseball player and pitcher along with Ohtani in the same time zone. 

Baseball's popularity is down on the national level, but is up on a local level. I mean how many Yankee games do you watch? I only watch them when they play the Angels...

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You can call it desperation but the Angels are multiple players away from success while the Yankees are a guy like Cole away from being favored to win it all.  So that creates its own sort of need or desperation.

And arguably the Dodgers too, especially with their recent playoff woes and over-reliance on Kershaw. 

But the Yanks payroll is tapped, and the Dodgers are leery with Cole-sized contracts. They do have the ‘compete every year’ angle that I think Cole truly does value at this point.

Thinking on that last bit more...I know it’s incredibly unlikely and basically fantasy, but I do think you have to wonder a bit if that also enters really Arte’s mind about what other moves they make this winter. I know adding Strasburg, Rendon, Ryu, Bumgarner, or Donaldson after Cole is hugely difficult, but it could hammer home their intentions to Cole that they will also be competitive every year of his contract. It might *need* to be considered, as could a major trade. 

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

and if he does sign with the yankees, all we'll hear about is how he wanted to go to a winner.  

1 minute ago, mymerlincat said:

Until the fat lady sings and the ink is dry, this is all just chatter. 

Boras may have told Heyman and Gammons, some others like this guy that they're all in and negotiating with Cole only right now and things have progressed nicely. That doesn't mean shit though because Boras will circle back to other team's GM's. It's called negotiating. 

It's no secret that everyone in MLB wants the Yankees to get Gerrit Cole. As do these east coast reporters/writers.

Remember the night that we signed Pujols how it looked like he was for sure re-signing with the Cardinals or the Marlins? Then Arte swooped in.

1 minute ago, Chuckster70 said:

Until the fat lady sings and the ink is dry, this is all just chatter. 

Boras may have told Heyman and Gammons, some others like this guy that they're all in and negotiating with Cole only right now and things have progressed nicely. That doesn't mean shit though because Boras will circle back to other team's GM's. It's called negotiating. 

It's no secret that everyone in MLB wants the Yankees to get Gerrit Cole. As do these east coast reporters/writers.

Remember the night that we signed Pujols how it looked like he was for sure re-signing with the Cardinals or the Marlins? Then Arte swooped in.

Don’t give me hope. 

It’s kind of ridiculous how it seems like the Yankees can be the only team that can make someone a priority and everyone else has to deal with it.  Cole is going to the team offering the best deal.  If that’s the Yankees, then he’ll go there, but last week I saw many people saying Moreno is all in.  It’s embarrassing how these writers bend over for the Yankees, as if the Angels or anyone else couldn’t outbid them.  

As an Angels fan, of course I want us to sign him, but until it’s official, this public fawning of the Yankees “inevitable victory” means absolutely nothing.