• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Gerrit Cole (Please sign with the Angels) Thread

Chuck

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm not....  Too much future uncertainty in their rotation for them not to chase a legit ace.

Considering how much money they have on the books, how good they already are, and how much restraint they’ve showed towards overpaying since Steinbrenner Jr. took over, it’s a surprise to me.

Comparing our situation with theirs, we have a lot more desperation (or should), but it just depends how far Arte and the Yanks are each prepared to go. If Cole really is more concerned about contending every year, we may have to overpay by a good margin to bring him in. 

12 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

They want to win the World Series and just making the playoffs isn’t good enough for them. They don’t have an ace and Cole being that guy for them would help solidify them as a true powerhouse. 

but we have better weather and fashion island in Newport!

41 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Considering how much money they have on the books, how good they already are, and how much restraint they’ve showed towards overpaying since Steinbrenner Jr. took over, it’s a surprise to me.

Comparing our situation with theirs, we have a lot more desperation (or should), but it just depends how far Arte and the Yanks are each prepared to go. If Cole really is more concerned about contending every year, we may have to overpay by a good margin to bring him in. 

They are uncertain about Paxton long term.   Both health and whether he wants to stay in NYC.     They have shown restraint the last few seasons but they were paying the tax up until 2018 when they finally got below it, then went right back over it in 2019...

So, I think it was less about them no longer being willing to spend and more a case of them not being willing to overspend for guys who aren't legit game changers. 

21 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

So you're saying he's all about the money?

not all.  but the money will sway him one way or another.  I think he'd probably like to come to so cal and all other things being equal, he probably would.  But there's a number that makes him choose someone else regardless of location.  Just like we probably could have had Wheeler for 130m. 

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

not all.  but the money will sway him one way or another.  I think he'd probably like to come to so cal and all other things being equal, he probably would.  But there's a number that makes him choose someone else regardless of location.  Just like we probably could have had Wheeler for 130m. 

Doc if you were sitting in Cashman’s chair, (take your halo hat off for a moment) what would you tell Cole to convince him why he should be a Yankee. 

I personally don’t think he will be. I still feel that he’s coming to Anaheim. 

9 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Nothing has changed with this Yankees “news”.  It’s always been that the Angels will have to be the highest bidder to get Cole.  That’s how it is. 

You’re probably right but if the Yankees are close with their offer ... you never know. They Yankees have  best offense in baseball and most likely to make the playoffs every season. I guess it comes down to what he prefers. 

Acoording to Roger Lodge the Angels will have him signed by the end of next week.

1 minute ago, Calzone 2 said:

Doc if you were sitting in Cashman’s chair, (take your halo hat off for a moment) what would you tell Cole to convince him why he should be a Yankee. 

I personally don’t think he will be. I still feel that he’s coming to Anaheim. 

money.  location. winning.  

the order of priority for the last two may change depending on the first.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

money.  location. winning.  

the order of priority for the last two may change depending on the first.  

Selling points.

Money: Anaheim = New York

Winning: New York > Anaheim 

It’s a toss up. I don’t think either team can get blamed for not signing him.